Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2006

Default Re: Pebble Beach

Nancy and Lissa, thanks so much for sharing ALL the details! I especially think it is cute how Glenn kept waiting for you two to approach him!

-------------
    All the broken dreams
    All the disappointments
    Oh girl -- What you gonna do

Stuck on the Border

I can only endorse what the others have said. I'm glad it went so well. Congratulations to both of you. I'm glad he seemed so approachable.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

Stuck on the Border

I'll add my two cents worth, also...glad Glenn didn't disappoint!

Sounds like it was well worth the efforts for all the wonderful memories the two of you now have!

Hey guys! Just got back from the end of Day 3... it was a completely different animal! Lissa and I are determined to finish our write-ups tonight, as I'm leaving in the morning and we want to do them together. Hopefully we won't pass out from exhaustion first!

So, really quickly, the "low-down": while we got a few passing acknowledegements and comments from Glenn, it was such a massive venue with thousands of people and some fairways so distant you couldn't even make out facial features, we didn't get a photo or anything like what we'd had the past two days. What we did get we'll detail later. While the day was a bit of a letdown after the previous two, it was still special. Overall, the trip was an incredible thrill and a precious memory I will always treasure!

~

Look, after all this excitement, I am seriously thinking of writing to him, in a polite and respectful manner of course, at the address on the fastlane. I would die for an autograph, (well maybe just be a little ill for a bit). Do you think there is any chance?

~~~

This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

I have thought the same. But I have also thought that I have to go to Pebble myself next year. I went outside the other day after I thought this and there was a full moon and someone started singing in my head 'Lover's moon won't you shine on me/I'm dancing with a memory/I wish I may, I wish I might/have one last chance to hold her tight/Waiting, I know she's waiting'.

Etc.

Also watched the Fastlane video and heard him say those magic words 'we're working on a record'.

~~~

There's talk on the street, it sounds so familiar
    Great expectations, everybody's watching you

So much for our determination to finish those write-ups last night - determination which was sucked out of our bodies by total exhaustion after dinner! I am working on it now, though, and after running it past Lissa for fact check and any forgotten details, I'll post Day 2 and Day 3!

~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Nancy - are you trying to say that Glenn wore you and Lissa out to the point of exhaustion - oh my!

And Julie - all I can say after this is forget a new album, Glenn! You need to keep your butt on the greens. After Nancy and Lissa's experience, we've got a much better shot at meeting Glenn on a golf course than at any Eagles concert. Now, don't get me wrong - I still want them tour, but I'm quite content to hear the old stuff again if that gives Glenn more green time.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

LOL! Dreamer, yes Glenn wore me out completely and I'm sore! That man is in incredible shape!!

Default Nancy and Lissa's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure: Day 2

Day Two

This entry will prove that Glenn really cares about his fans. He was such a caring gentleman to two pathetic souls all day that I was blown away. And yes, the pathetic souls were Lissa and I!

Yesterday, as you know, we were so hot it wasn’t even funny. So, we figured we had learned our lesson. I put on a thin pink shirt and Lissa put on a light shirt as well. We stocked up on water (and it made that bag I was hauling around VERY HEAVY). We were good to go…. or so we thought....

We arrived that day and realized it was a bit nippy out, but decided that it would no doubt warm up as the day progressed, and with all those waters weighing the bag down, the last thing we wanted to do was carry around coats again. We left them in the car and went on our merry way.

Now, this day was when they were all doing Spyglass. Lissa had found out it was the hardest course and it was easy to see why once we arrived. It wrapped around steep hills and then out to the seaside cliffs (actually very lovely – there were even a few deer milling about). Walking it was arduous – I can only imagine what playing it is like. And Lissa and I got to walk it pretty much twice. Why? Because we are idiots. OK, well, not idiots, but forgetful. We forgot Glenn started on the 10th hole that day. The place is set up so that on one side of the main road are the first nine holes, and on the other side the back nine. Each set of nine holes circles from 1 to 9, which both are near the main road. We tromped to the wrong side, blissfully ignorant, and started out at the 1st hole. Nope, Glenn’s not there! On to the 2nd, up the hill. Nope, Glenn’s not there! On to the 3rd – more hills, more walking. Nope, Glenn’s not there! Finally about the 4th or 5th hole, which are at the far end of the loop and where the path turns back towards the gate, we pulled out the sheet of tee times and tried to determine how far ahead Glenn was from the group which we were currently seeing. This was when we saw that asterisk by his team and remembered what it stood for – Glenn had started on the other side of the course! We hustled back, going backwards on the course so as to move more quickly (groups hadn’t gotten there yet), cursing ourselves all the way. Finally, we got to where Glenn was – the 14th hole – and it was actually a bit warmer, too!

Relieved if a bit achy from the trek, we settled back to enjoy ourselves. We were kind of weirded out when Glenn’s partner Stadler seemed to point at us when we arrived, but we’re hoping he was just pointing in our direction and not at us. A moment later Glenn said something to Clay right before he teed off that made him double over in laughter with spit coming out of his mouth. Glenn apologized for distracting him. In my paranoia, I was like “We’re not a laughingstock, are we?!” But I realized odds were it wasn’t about us! We once again hung back, figuring we’d already had our attention, and we didn’t want to act as if we were entitled to more.

WARNING: EXTREMELY SHALLOW ALERT: Glenn was wearing a navy blue short-sleeved top and dark beige pants that didn’t cling as well as those of the previous day. However, that didn’t matter once we were given an early eyeful when Glenn did some quad stretches facing us. He bent his leg and grabbed his foot, then pulled it behind him... we enjoyed the view.

Now, before we get into it, let me give you some overview of the day outside of Lissa and Nancy’s “moments” lol. Despite the difficulty of the course, Glenn did better than he had the previous day with regard to the par. Most of the time he seemed happy with his shots. However, he was also more focused, understandably. As a result, there was a lot less crowd interaction and joking around. In fact, there was very little of it. One funny thing he did do was go over to a few girls and talk up Clay Walker to them. “We have a good team – that Clay Walker, he’s a country musician, young and handsome. In fact, he could change his name and pass for 14.” The Fred Pike people were also there, and Glenn chatted with them for a bit.

Back to us, though! lol At the 15th hole, Glenn tucked his tee behind his ear. Lissa started to say “I like...” but trailed off when he looked at us, then just smiled. lol He went off to hospitality and we tromped back to the other side of the course where we’d begun and the 1st hole. I had to go the the port-a-potty so we missed that, but caught up on the 2nd hole.

And that’s when the fog started rolling in and the wind picking up. The sun was no longer visible and the temperature dropped drastically. Lissa and I began freezing our butts off. And I mean freezing, people. Not just a bit chilly. Shuddering, shivering, miserably cold. And Glenn actually noticed! Once I saw that he noticed, I knew he would say something. How could he not? Irony like that is hard to ignore. Sure enough, he came over to us again. “Where are all the warm clothes now?” he asked, flinging his arms wide. “You know, I carried that damn sweater around all day yesterday and didn’t need it, and now that I do, I don’t have it!” Lissa replied, laughing. I said in a mock-somber tone, “Welcome to my life.” He looked a bit confused by that – once again my attempt at humor fails! (Lissa says she think he didn’t hear me clearly, since I didn’t yell it and the wind was loud.)

We moved on to the 3rd hole. Glenn and the team went down pretty far away to hit as we stood on the hillside looking down at them. We were actually huddled together for warmth at one point. Glenn looked up and saw us and I guess really pitied us, because at the 4th, he comes over and says, “I don’t think we have any more clothes.” In other words, if they had, they would have given them to us. What a gentleman! At the 5th we were a bit distracted by some folks from Indiana (BTW, at every single hole with every new group of people, we invariably heard at least one person say, "Ooh! He's a leftie!" lol). After that there was some downtime as the team waited, so Lissa and I went down to the nearby path, sat on a fence, and pulled out our lunch of granola bars and water.

Then, on the 7th hole, Glenn further showed how considerate he is by coming over to us again and saying, “One of you didn’t get a pick…” “Me!” I piped up. “That’s right, it was you,” Glenn said. “I wanted to give you one before the kids got them all.” (Glenn had been making it a practice to give picks to any kids who were within arm’s distance. You know he must be a great dad!). He handed me the pick. “Thanks!” I cried, and was unable to come up with anything else to say. He smiled and headed back. How awesome is it that he not only remembered that, but was actually concerned enough about it to make a special trip over to give it to me? I was thrilled.

Later on at that same hole, Glenn once again came over. When Lissa gets cold, she puts her hands up together as she shivers. Glenn said to her, “Since my mother couldn’t be here, it looks like you’re praying for me at every tee! But you’re just freezing.” He was just really compassionate. At the next hole, Glenn as he passed said, “Still praying?” to Lissa who was doing that again. She crossed herself. Glenn laughed. “There are some things God doesn’t care about – and God don’t care about golf!” I muttered something stupid after that, which I hope he didn’t hear.

We were such pitiful figures that at the 8th hole, one of the officials, an older guy, came over and gave Lissa a hug. At that point I had started standing in front of her to block the wind as she huddled against my back. A sad, sorry sight. Meanwhile, Glenn made a bad putt and then his next shot went wide. He disgustedly threw his ball into the woods. Afterwards, he came over as we walked towards the next green. “Hey girls!” he called to get our attention. He reached out over the rope and shook our hands. “Thanks for coming out,” he said. We wondered why he said that, but the next day we realized he was thanking us when he could since there would be no time on Saturday. He still looked a little bummed, so Lissa tried to cheer him up by saying, “The next time you want to throw out a ball, I’m open!” He wryly replied, “I would miss.” Lissa said, “No, I would miss! I can’t catch!” I said... nothing, as usual, I was struck dumb. Sigh. He must think I am a total dweeb.

But then, after he made his next shot, he mouthed, “I’ll sign a ball for you.” Now, I didn’t see this. So I had no idea. And when he came to the sand trap to toss the balls, I was totally not expecting it. It came at me pretty fast, then bounced. I dropped to my knees to get it, but it bounced past and down the hill. Like the graceful lady that I am, I hopped up, did a 180, and dove at that thing, arms flailing out, butt in the air. I got it, alright. But as I did, I heard a stern male voice yell, “THAT BALL IS FOR HER!” It was GLENN. I was totally mortified. I thought he must have been throwing it to Lissa and I had made a fool of myself, acting like a desperate spinster bridesmaid knocking everybody aside for a bouquet meant for the pretty maid of honor. I hurriedly stood up with it. “I’m going to give it to her!” I cried. Two guys were staring at me. I told both of them, “I really am, I’m going to give it to her!” I ran back up the hill, but I saw she already had one. I’m thinking, “Did Glenn have to do another one because I took hers?” And I noticed people staring at us. “They all think I took your ball, Lissa! They all hate me!” I said to her as we walked on. Then Lissa told me what really went down. Turns out that after he had thrown that one for me, he had thrown another one towards Lissa much more slowly, perhaps because of her comment about catching, or perhaps because he had seen my display. :: cringe :: Just as it reached her, a guy a few feet away jumped in front of her, grabbed it, and gave it to his wife. That was who Glenn had roared at, as his arm shot out, pointing to Lissa. The guy quickly gave the ball back and all was well, although the people staring were no doubt wondering why Glenn wanted so badly for us to have the balls! Lissa turned to explain what she had said to him at the previous putt, but still some folks kept staring.

And that was how our day ended. We wanted to yell thanks to Glenn for the balls as he left, but we couldn’t catch up to him. We figured we would do it Saturday, but we had no idea how it would be – Saturday was a madhouse. We’ll get into more detail about that in the next report!