Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago, IL 9-24-08, 9-25-08

Default Re: Chicago reviews

BTW, I'm still working on the second review - it's coming!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Hi, sorry I haven't been around, been busy... but I had to chime in here. THE EAGLES ROCK! My wife and I went Thursday and we winced at the prices, but it was worth every penny. What a great show! Joe was INCREDIBLE. My fave song Life's Been Good brought the house down! Maybe he was more into it Thursday than Wednesday because he didn't look stoic to me. He is the STAR of the live shows, no doubt about it.

Can't wait to read your review for Thursday, Soda. I hope it's as detailed as that Wednesday one.

These photos are TERRIFIC. Any photos from Thursday?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

WOW MALEAH!!!!

You have done the impossible - I am speechless!!!!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

How in the world did you get THAT LENS into the concert?
    "It's only Rock and Roll, but I like it"

Maleah, those shots are absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!! WOW!!!!!GREAT JOB!!!!!! The guys are soooo HOT !!!!! I wish I could see them again . Oh well, at least I can enjoy your wonderful pictures!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Wow Maleah! Those are amazing!! Thank you so much for all of those!! Joe looks wonderful *G* He's my new wallpaper btw *G*
    I am so impressed by your photography skills. Is there no end to your talents? (and btw.. love the t-shirt *G*)
    The guys should hire you as their official photographer! and to the camera nazis!

THURSDAY

I only put down the things that stood out to me as different from the first night (as detailed in Part 1 and Part 2), so this one’s shorter. I had an alternate perspective, on the first tier towards the back - it was definitely not quite the same! lol. Still, the guy next to me was kind enough to lend me his binoculars, and through those I could see them very clearly.

How Long
    As always, How Long rocked. Afterward, Glenn gave a twist on his usual no-video speech: “You know, we’d appreciate it if you didn’t video us. At our age, we don’t like to be filmed! So, if you see someone next to you filming... just grab their camera, throw it on the ground, and stomp on it! Act like you’re Sean Penn and they’re the paparazzi!” I busted out laughing. How can you resent the request when it’s made like that?

Guilty of the Crime
    It seemed to me that this song was a bit different than prior nights and on the album, which I really appreciated! Adding some vocal and guitar nuances that differ from the album really engage me.

I Can’t Tell You Why
    I noticed from on high that they do a nice split screen on this one, showing Glenn, Don, and Joe during the backup parts.

Lyin’ Eyes
    Glenn started once again with the “Don and I were living together” bit, then paused. “We had separate bedrooms,” he clarified, to uproarious laughter. “We used to go down to this place called Dan Tana’s and see this scenario playing out every night, so we decided to write a song about it. It took us two nights; now it would probably take us two years.” (A more realistic estimate than the two months of the prior night!) He added a twist to the Plaintiff joke: “Since one of my lawyers is here tonight, I’d like to dedicate this song to my first wife, Plaintiff.” A little funnier that way! Still, the guy next to me said, “That joke’s from Farewell 1.” Here’s the thing: if your jokes have been immortalized on celluloid, everyone can call you on using them more than once. Time to change the banter.

The Long Run
    Way up in the heights, not many people were dancing... but they all got up for this one! Don announced afterward that they would take a break so that people could get some refreshment and beverages.

No More Walks in the Woods
    From my new vantage point, I again noticed the split screen... but I wasn’t too happy about it this time. On one side of the arena, the split screen showed only Don and Tim – on the other side, only Glenn and Joe. It stayed like that for the whole song. Guess which was the only screen I got to see. I mean, no offense to Don and Tim, but they could have shown all four guys to the whole audience.

Waiting in the Weeds
    Before this song started, Don surprised me by chastising some people who were standing during No More Walks in the Woods. “When we sit down, you can too. Maybe then the people behind you can see for a change.” Ouch. At least the song was good.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
    I was surprised when Tim added to his usual introduction that the song was a “sappy love song,” but I was pleased when he broke out into “tempted by the fruit of another, tempted but the truth is discovered” when talking about Paul Carrack and how he was in Squeeze and all that.

Somebody
    Oops – Glenn messed up on this one! He threw himself into that chorus – “SOMEBODY!” – a bit too early. It was still supposed to be a verse. He realized his mistake quickly and, after a pause to figure out where everybody else was, he went into the second line of the verse. He flashed a grin, obviously embarrassed, and as he continued to sing he took a moment to hit himself in the head with his fist. lol! I thought Joe’s solo sounded different than usual. Once again, I appreciated them mixing it up a bit.

Band Intros
    When Glenn introduced Steuart, it sounded like he was getting booed! Glenn looked confused for a moment, then said “They’re saying 'STU.'” It reminds me of the time I saw a video of Bruce Springsteen coming out on stage – the audience chanted “BRUUUUUUUUUCE” and it sounded like they were booing, lol.

Another notable thing about the intros: when Glenn introduced Don, he did so as his “best friend from 1971” – and Don got a huge reaction from the crowd. After a moment, Glenn said, “You know, it’s always been such a thrill for me, whenever I’d contribute to an Eagles song, to know that Don would be singing it. It was downright inspirational.” I guess he didn’t get the memo that he’s supposed to despise Don, according to Felder.

When Tim introduced Glenn as being from Detroit, the Motor City et. al, and My Girl began to play, Glenn started to sing it... AWAY FROM THE MIC! He actually LEANED BACK! We couldn’t hear a thing. You’re killing me, Glenn! He remarked that Detroit wasn’t too far from Chicago, but it was about as close as he wanted to get to Detroit nowadays. Hate to say it, but I’d have to agree with Glenn there. I’ve been to Detroit three times in the past few years and it’s one of the scariest towns I’ve ever driven through! He then added the “fertilizer of my genius” bit, and repeated his cute story about the purple jackets.

Life’s Been Good
    Joe forgot a line of Life’s Been Good! Oops! Otherwise it was good.

Dirty Laundry
    When I glanced to the screens to get a better view of the guys’ faces at one point, I was surprised to see that their faces were framed like magazine covers as they sang. I strained to read the writing to no avail. Very cool!

Rocky Mountain Way
    Another double encore. I was thrilled! Since they had made a few mistakes and the crowd wasn’t as energetic as the first night, I wondered. But we got it!

All She Wants to Do Is Dance
    Watching the screens for a bit, I noticed Joe was also on keyboards. Never really took a gander at him before!

Desperado
    I was so sad when this ended, knowing that this would be my last show for a while... perhaps my last show ever, if they don’t come this way again and don’t do another tour. The older couple next to me held each other and swayed. I got a little emotional. Despite all the disappointments of earlier in the day, I don’t regret going.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    I was surprised when Tim added to his usual introduction that the song was a “sappy love song,” but I was pleased when he broke out into “tempted by the fruit of another, tempted but the truth is discovered” when talking about Paul Carrack and how he was in Squeeze and all that.
    He introduces LWKUA as a "sappy love song" sometimes. In Nashville he called it a "wonderfully sappy love song" which I think is better. He was apparently quite chatty in Nashville though because we got the two things you mentioned as well as the comment about their Nashville friends and his shout-out to George Grantham.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Soda, how on earth do you remember all those details from each night? If I had seen them both nights, I think my thoughts would have all meshed to one.

That's truely a remarkable memory you have!

First of all, Maleah, thank you for posting those great photos! What a wonderful way to memorialize a wonderful night!

I was surprised to read that security had warned you about using the camera. I guess they weren't given the memo from Glenn!

Soda, your review of Thusday night reminded me that the big side screens sometimes showed excellent 'fusing' of two or three of them together, while in reality on stage they weren't nearly close enough to each other to be getting that shot. I thought that was done well. (However, I did not pay big bucks to watch them on a screen, and most of the night I was looking directly at the stage or through my binoculars).

Selfishly, I was glad to hear that the crowd was more into them on Wednesday. I know I did my part, hootin' and hollerin'!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.