Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago, IL 9-24-08, 9-25-08

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Chicago reviews

Hi everyone-let the PEW begin-I am already feeling it!! It is indeed a let down now that I am back home and thinking about last night.

I can honestly say that I don't even know how to describe what it felt like last night to actually be there finally seeing my favorite band that I have loved and adored for 34 years!!! I enjoyed the experience more than I ever imagined and will treasure it forever.

Loved meeting with Nancy and Cathy and her husband, sharing a quick dinner with them and after the show having a couple of drinks with Nancy and recapping the evening! Thanks for sharing the experience.

It looks like Nancy and Cathy have pretty much filled you in with most of the night. Loved it when Don mentioned the Cubbies!! What a response he received from that. I and my husband gave him and big hoot and hollar!! Also can't believe that we got 2 encores, including ASWTDID!! They must have gotten my memo!!

I of course had my eyes pretty much glued to Timothy the bigger share of the night. WOW!!!! He sure loves the audience and really plays to them! He was beautiful!

I don't care what the critics said--they were beyond belief in person. Everyone around us was enjoying them and had nothing but wonderful things to say about their performance. God bless the lady behind us that noticed that I was singing along with every song and asked how long I had been a fan. When I told her it had been 34 years, she looked at me and said I sure didn't look old enough to remember them from back that far!! Maybe she was just but she put a bigger smile on my face. My husband couldn't say enough about how good they were, especially Joe. Said it was worth every penny to see how happy it made me to finally be there.

That's my recap for now. I'm sure I will think of more to add later.

My fingers are crossed for Nancy tonight. Sure hope she gets a good seat, especially since I'm sure she is very bummed out about the meet and greet. I am very bummed out for her!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    My fingers are crossed for Nancy tonight. Sure hope she gets a good seat, especially since I'm sure she is very bummed out about the meet and greet. I am very bummed out for her!
    Ditto!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Regarding the 'reviews', the suits are not 'ill fitting'.

No offence to our Joe fans but I sometimes get tired of these reviewers' endless emphasis on Joe. Because they think he is more fun to watch doesn't mean that he is the most important part of the band.

Thanks to Soda, PM and TBF for your thoughts.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Thanks Soda, TBF and PM, those were terrific accounts of the concert. I almost feel as if I were there!... almost... I am a little disappointed no stage rushing was done (I had bail all arranged) but.. Im glad you all had a wonderful time! *G*

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Regarding the 'reviews', the suits are not 'ill fitting'.

No offence to our Joe fans but I sometimes get tired of these reviewers' endless emphasis on Joe. Because they think he is more fun to watch doesn't mean that he is the most important part of the band.

Thanks to Soda, PM and TBF for your thoughts.

Fun to watch? Joe? Really <LOL>

I understand what's happening with that. Glenn and Don do not come from the same school of Rock that Joe came from. From the outset, Don and Glenn had in mind making megabucks and making great music as well. Part of that plan for success was performing flawlessly in live concerts. That sort of performance requires ungodly practice and iron-clad discipline and with the personalities of Don and Glenn, they accomplished that very well.

So well in fact that they really do not leave any room in their stage performances for much of any improvisation...even in jokes! If they did any of that, it would deviate from the recordings. And that would undermine their master plan...a plan that has been VERY successful for them.

Joe on the other hand, came from the era where Power Trios dominated and their performances were notorious for starting out pretty much on que and then improvising for 15 and 20 minute completely unique solos. It was made very clear to Joe when he joined the Eagles that there was no room for that in the Eagles Concerts. I think Joe has handled it very well. It had to be hard for him to reign himself in and play that subordinate role that he managed and it seems that it met with the approval of "The Gods" as Mr. Felder put it.

I do not think that there is anyone who is familiar with the process of the Eagles who will deny the genius of Don and Glenn...especially Don when it comes to composition. Joe certainly is not unaware of it and acknowledges it freely!

Whatever the reviewers say, the Eagles are a very unique Band. It works for them. Yes, Joe can be a loose canon and he does bring out the wild side of those in the audience...but he wouldn't be where he is today were it not for the management of the Eagles LTD.

Oh, he would be somewhere...but it might not have been a good place! It was his commitment to sobriety that allowed him to participate in the resumption of a reunited Eagles back in the 90's. He was in a very bad way back then. They (the Eagles) have been very good for Joe. And, I think Joe has worked very hard to meet the expectations of Glenn and Don and I think he has been pretty successful at it.

I've been to a LOT of concerts and I've never seen Joe make any attempt to upstage the other guys and in fact, tends to melt back into the background especially on the older Ballad era songs they do from pre HC days.

With that said, I myself have seen Joe receive the "Frey Eye" (I think it was in Indianapolis) for getting a little too carried away during "Already Gone". He cut the solo off almost instantly when that happened <LOL>

The Hell with the Critics. The Eagles are what they are! Their success is to the merit of all four of the current Eagles plus Meisner, Leadon, Felder and yes, Stu Smith....they were and ARE contributors to the epic success enjoyed by the Band today.

Sorry if I came off on a soapbox. It's just that each member of the band has a contribution to make and they each give it...they each BRING it to the stage too! They've already proved that they each are capable of very successful solo careers, but the Eagles are a case of the Whole being far greater than the sum of the parts!

MikeA

Well said Mike . I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the critics have to criticize . If the Eagles weren't so successful, I don't think the critics would be so quick to malign them. They must be doing something right. I don't see them playing to empty houses. There were over 50,000 people at their Moncton, N.B. concert that I attended in August. Fifty thousand people chanting "Eagles, Eagles" in anticipation of the start of the concert. Fifty thousand people singing along with every song. It was magical.

I'll get off my soapbox now . I just felt the need to vent.

Stuck on the Border

Mike, thank you very much for this post. It's what I should have said. I didn't want to sound as if I was not appreciative of the excitement Joe brings to the band.

Thanks for your great reviews, Soda, PM and TBF! Sounds like a wonderful evening with our boys. I love reading those personal observations from true fans. It's great that you got to meet, and Maleah, too. Soda, you certainly picked up a good seat, but I'm gutted for you about the meet and greet.

Mike, you have summed up the band, and I love your comment about the "Frey Eye"! I've seen a couple of pics where he has given an unruly audience member that look, and it's scary! By the way, welcome to the Border, it's good to have you here!
    Last edited by glenneaglesfan; 09-26-2008 at 10:09 AM.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Hey Soda, enjoyed your review and good luck with seats tonight! I was thinking that you go to some of the shows by yourself huh? and meeting up with others sometimes. I've been trying to get a good seat for Minneapolis, but can't decide if I really want to go by myself or not!! Its making me crazy! None of my friends are Eagle nuts, so arent going to dish out $200 for a ticket. My husband Dennis and I went to the Milwaukee show and it was great, he can't get time off for this one.Anyhow, hope the M&G thing works out for all of you also!
    Scooby, go. I went by myself to St. Louis and loved it. I did get to meet up with Brooke before the show, which was great fun, but I had a great time at the concert by myself.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Glad you guys all had a great time. I agree with you PM - please ditch the suits. They just don't look relaxed in them.