Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago, IL 9-24-08, 9-25-08

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Chicago reviews

Soda-glad to here you made it again last night. One of these days, you will have to give me "nerves of steel" lessons!!! I would have never been able to stand it!!
    I am sincerely sorry about the luck with the Meet & Greet last night. There will be other chances hopefully and you will know how to handle it then!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Glad to hear you got to go again last night, Soda! You rock!

Btw, what are 1st tier tickets? And what a deal anyway!

Did you guys get any pictures?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's what I call the first level around the arena - the "100" level. I can see why my phrasing is confusing. If we go for what the venue considers "first tier" with regard to their pricing... that's half the arena.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Soda, I'm glad your tenacity paid off. $60 is a very fair price to pay for 1st tier seats.

So Don learned his lesson about talking sports, eh?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I think the Cubbies comment didn't go over so well because... we were steps away from the White Sox home field. For those of you not from here... White Sox fans HATE Cub fans! (pretty much vice versa too)

Soda, I'm so glad you decided to go last night, and kudos on getting a 1st tier ticket at a rock-bottom price. I don't know if I could've waited until the last minute either! Can't wait to hear all the details of the shows!

Glad you had a good time too, LTL!

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Even though I enjoy watching HFO, I kinda get that less energy flat sense... but I now know that must have been an awesome show in person! Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.
    You know, I had this same impression the first time I saw HFO. I noticed that the guys were looking down a lot, being really sedate for most of the show - and the vast majority of the songs were slow. It didn't help that I had seen Farewell 1 before HFO. The difference between the energy level of the two is quite remarkable. That said, I too really enjoy HFO, so I'm not trying to diss it either.

OK folks, I've been working hard to remember everything, since I don't know if I'll ever see another Eagles show - after all, if this is their last tour, and they never come my way again... so I went all out. Although I got excruciatingly detailed, I KNOW I've forgotten some things and gotten some others out of sequence, didn't get the exact wording. But I tried! Those who attended, feel free to correct mistakes or add things I've left out (I did try not to repeat what's been said).

Since it's so long, I'll break it up into parts.

WEDNESDAY

Soundin’ good, lookin’ good, the guys were all that and a bag of chips on Wednesday night.

First Set

How Long
    It’s a new song, but it really went over well. The crowd was on their feet dancing. I think it was a great idea to open with it. After it was over, Glenn asked how many of us have Long Road Out of Eden. When the crowd reacted, he said, “Well, you people are gonna have a REAL good time!” He went on to say that they were going to play several new tracks from the album, and that it was going to be a night filled with both old and new. This was also where he warned the audience about taking video of the concert, and said if we saw someone filming to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to please stop. I appreciate that he’s trying to enlist the help of the audience politely, but honestly, I’d feel very awkward telling a stranger something like that – especially since I secretly sympathize with their desire to capture the moment.

Busy Being Fabulous
    They went into Busy Being Fabulous next, which I really like. This is when we got the “Cubbies” line and the thunderous boos, unless I’m mistaken. The guy next to me asked, “Is this off the new album?” “Yes,” I said, rolling my eyes. Glenn had JUST SAID that. Some folks need to pay attention!

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
    Tim said that he’d stay away from sports, after the reaction Don got! I love the mellow feel of this song.

Guilty of the Crime
    Joe’s vocals were really great on this. He really threw himself into it – vocally, if not physically! He stood stock-still and his face was expressionless. Maybe he was concentrating on getting it right, since he’d messed up a little at a prior concert.

Hotel California
    Then it was time to pull out the big gun: Hotel California. Those with Farewell 1 knew what was coming when Bill Armstrong started his solo, but the rest of the audience didn’t realize it until those opening notes. Once they did, they were on their feet cheering. Don moved back to the drums for this. After watching the entirety of the show, I now think that Don does his fair share of drumming during concerts. He was back there a lot. Anyway, his voice was very sexy on this; he even included that delicious “uh” after “the Mercedes bends.”

Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Speaking of sexy voices... this song never fails to make me melt. A beautiful vocal that takes you right to that desert under the stars.

I Can’t Tell You Why
    I love that Glenn plays keyboards on this, and I wish he did more of that kind of thing. Tim's vocal was a bit stronger on this than previously. Terrific vocal interplay between band members.

Witchy Woman
    Don sounded smokin’ on this one and I enjoy Glenn's cool guitar solo on this song. Afterwards, Glenn said that was from their “Satanic Country-Rock Rhythm and Blues period." I remember he used to say that regarding “One of These Nights,” and I actually think it’s more appropriate for that song – One of These Nights was a complete hodge-podge of styles, and the title track even states that Don's looking for the daughter of the devil along with his angel in white!

Lyin’ Eyes
    “But let’s go forward a few years,” Glenn continued. “Don and I are living together in a house on Mulholland. It's a long song, but we took two days to write it then; now we’d probably take two months.” I thought, “That’s a generous estimate of how long it would take you guys to complete a song nowadays!” Flawless vocal.

Boys of Summer
    Yes, this is a solo song and therefore some would begrudge its inclusion, but it’s so great live! I LOVE it. I love the way Don sings, “But I can SEE you...” Now if only Glenn would do a solo song...

In the City
    Joe hit every note that he attempted, but he didn’t even attempt to do the ending “Another NIGHT!” like he used to. He just backed away from the mic and got started on this guitar solo as the other guys sang “In the city, In the city, ah-ha” multiple times. Still, I liked it, as did the entire audience.

The Long Run
    As he’d done in the past, Don called this “The band’s theme song” and thanked the fans for "still being here." Glenn kind of leaned over during “bent” just like he did during Farewell 1, and once Don saw what Glenn was doing, he started leaning, too. Fun song with which to end the first set!

Second Set

During intermission, I got to chit-chat more with Prettymaid and Maleah. Maleah was wearing a very cool home-made shirt. She’s promised to post a photo of it. You guys are gonna love it! Then, it was time to sit down and get ready for the second half.

No More Walks in the Woods
    Before the show started again, some roadies brought out stools. I noticed that they were nicer and more padded than the stools of the past, and that Joe’s had more back support than the others. It was more of a chair on stilts than a stool. The song was well done, without mistakes. That must take a great deal of concentration. Very admirable!

Waiting in the Weeds
    Glenn introduced this song as “a beautiful song by Don Henley and Steuart Smith.” I’d been waiting to hear this all night. The spotlight started on Glenn playing the opening notes on guitar, then moved to Don as he started singing. Such a lovely, lovely song. I adored it.

No More Cloudy Days
    Glenn made a joke about how “Waiting in the Weeds” was Track 7 on the new album, “and this next song is Track 8. Track 7, Track 8.” It doesn’t sound funny typing it out, but his delivery was very dry, like “Can you believe I not only know these track numbers, but expect you to care?” He always puts his heart into singing it, and it really makes the song. "I know a place where we can go where true love always stays..." sigh. Love it.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Tim was very talkative before this. He said that he and the other guys loved Chicago and that he remembered seeing Michael Jordan play here. He also did his usual shout-out to the folks in the rafters, which they loved and appreciated. I think it’s so cool that he does that! I don't remember hearing any strain to his vocal here.

Take it to the Limit
    Glenn introduced this as the last song they were going to do sitting down. I know a lot of people disapprove of Glenn singing this song, and miss the high parts at the end. However, one thing is undeniable: the crowd loves it and goes crazy when those notes start. So do I. I’m glad it’s in the set. For a moment, about halfway through, I thought Glenn was going to give someone the Frey-Eye for filming. Remembering how I felt when he did that throughout “Peaceful Easy Feeling” at Crosslake, I thought “No Glenn, don’t spend this song glaring at somebody! Don’t ruin my favorite song!” The truth is, that look is so scary, it brings down everyone in the vicinity even though it’s directed at only one person! To my relief, the glare only lasted a second. Phew! I enjoyed that song so much... it just builds and builds and then there’s that powerful climax... “TAKE IT to the limit, TAKE IT to the limit, TAKE IT to the limit one more time!” And they do! By the time the song comes down at the end, you’ve had quite a ride.

Long Road out of Eden
    I thought I would be bored during this song, with the exception of the guitar solo, which I knew would kill live. I was pleasantly surprised. I said in my previous overview that I felt like I was being told a story through song, and it held my interest the entire time – something it did not do when I listened to the studio version. Maybe it’s the heart they put into it live, or many it’s the visuals... I don’t know, but I was engaged by the song in a way I haven’t been in the past. One thing that I thought was very clever about the visuals: during the line “Met the ghost of Caesar on the Appian way” they showed a photo of Caesar’s Palace. What a way to give that line an extra layer of meaning. A hummer was also shown at one point, obviously meant to criticize excess. I wonder if Don knows that Joe owns one.

Somebody
    Another song I’d been looking forward to hearing. The suit jackets were removed. It’s kind of pathetic to get excited over that, but since that’s the only nod they’ll do to “informality,” we’ve got to take what we can get. I briefly considered yelling jokingly “That’s right, TAKE IT OFF BABY!” but quickly squelched that urge. Besides, who could hear me from 10th row? But for all my complaints about the suits... the guys look GOOD in them. Regarding the song: I can’t believe one critical called this a “snooze.” It rocked! I love to hear Glenn cut loose with that growly vocal. Very exciting live and I’m so glad that this is the new song he chose to do rather than a ballad. As much as I adore “What Do I Do with My Heart,” when it comes down to the live shows, there’s nothing like Glenn rockin’ your socks off. (I think that’s why I like the traditional version of “Smuggler’s Blues” better than the slow arrangement he does at some recent solo shows, despite the fact that I appreciate that he tries something different there.)

Walk Away
    From now until the end of the show, the floor pretty much stood the whole time. Everybody loves Joe live, with his rockin’ riffs.

One of These Nights
    Perhaps this has been happening for a while and I just haven’t noticed, but they don’t sing this quite like the album version on the “niiiiiights” part. I still enjoyed it.

Band Intros
    Glenn walked out to center stage and yelled, “Hit Me, Dave!” The spotlight hit him full-blast and he flung his head and arms back and cried “AH!” Very cute! He called the horn section something funny, but I’ve forgotten it. Anyone else remember? After he introduced the band and got to Tim, the audience jumped to their feet. Standing ovation time! As I said previously, when Tim introduced Glenn and the band started playing "My Girl," Glenn only sang one half of one line. Sigh! I guess he can’t go on and on during band intros singing the song, but give us the full line! Tim also got a bit of music played during his intro, but I didn’t recognize it. Glenn told a funny story about how, when he was kid in one of his first bands, he and his friends would drive to Chicago to buy purple suits. He said what kind of suits – it was a kind I’d never heard of, but judging from the reaction of older people around me, it was very retro. I can just see Glenn with his old band The Mushrooms wearing a purple suit. Apparently some habits die hard!

Life’s Been Good
    Joe introduced this song with an apology to all those kid whose parents drove them crazy playing it. He also said that the helmet cam was like a talent show, and that if you were really good, you might get your own reality show on "some stupid satellite channel." According to Willie and her husband, I got on the screen briefly! Yay! I don’t care if it’s silly, it’s fun to be on what is still being billed as a helmet cam, despite the fact that it is a hat. This is when the visuals REALLY get entertaining, as photos of the guys and shots from their videos over the years are played during song. Ironically, it plays like a well done YouTube video! Another note: Joe changed the lyrics at one point from “I lock the doors in case I’m attacked” to “I go to White Castle, pick up a sack.” lol!

Dirty Laundry
    More hilarious visuals – they’ve been talked about before, but to me, those fake magazines never get old!

Funk #49
    I don’t want to spend too much time emphasizing visuals over performance, but once again, the pop-up cartoons of the guys on the screens are really funny. As far as the song goes... who can resist those riffs? The band seems to have a lot of fun with it.

Heartache Tonight
    Then, they rocked Heartache Tonight. Glenn’s vocal on it was amazing. This song is so awesome live. I actually think this should be the last song in the set rather than Life in the Fast Lane. Yes, LITFL is off of their most famous album, but on the second night – more people were on their feet for HT.

Life in the Fast Lane
    Another sexy vocal from Don and more great guitar from Joe. I love the way this ends with the band gathering together in front of the drum kit, a true unit, despite the addition of so many extra backing band members. The core is still intact and in sync.

First Encore

Rocky Mountain Way
    When I saw Glenn come out with the current incarnation of Old Black, I was thrilled. We were getting two encores! Since the audience was so responsive and the guys gushed about Chicago, I dared to hope they might... and indeed, it happened. WOOOT!!!! Everyone was dancing to this – tired? No way! I think it was during this song where Glenn did some... well... thrusting with his guitar as he walked across the stage. Ahem.

All She Wants to Do Is Dance
    I and the girls around me took this song very literally. We got down to it. You know, I’ve always said this song is expendable but... it’s hard not to enjoy it when it really makes you move! Glenn did a bit of dancing in the back, but not to the degree of Farewell 1. It was also kind of hard for me to see him back there. Boo!

Second Encore

Take It Easy
    When the band came out for Take It Easy, Glenn took a moment to say how much they all loved Chicago – “great food, great people.” He said “This is a song we used to play back at the Aire Crown Theater back in 1972” and broke into the song. It’s such a definitive, feel-good Eagles song, and it gets a huge reaction every time.

Desperado
    Time to take it down for Desperado. Don’s vocals were pure and evocative. While I sometimes wonder if they shouldn’t reverse Take It Easy with Desperado in the set, it sure was effective that night.

Then, it was over. The band waved goodbye. I found myself waving back, jumping up and down, hooting, cheering... with no other thought in my head but the mantra “I LOVE THE EAGLES!” And indeed I do!

I cannot even find the words to tell you guys how I felt when they came out on the stage on Wednesday. I got tears in my eyes and probably would have bawled if the person beside me hadn't looked over at me. lol I couldn't believe that there they were.....and I was only rows away. I was off to the right off Joe, which made it a little harder to get pictures of Tim but I did get a few. What an amazing night! I went with 3 other people....one was a big Joe fan and really liked the band as a whole. The other two could take them or leave them, but when they left that night they told me that it was the best show they had ever been to and they now LOVED the Eages!

When "How Long" started my heart about went into triple beats. lol Especially when Don took over the second verse. Later on in the show when he started both "Boys of Summer" and "Witchy Woman," I leaned over to my friend and said I absolutely LOVE that man's voice! It was so perfect! And Glenn really won me over with his charisma with the crowd. I watched him make eye contact with a lot of people...even winking, pointing, and laughing with some of them. I loved when Tim came over to my side of the stage during the guitar solo on ICTYW. He seems like such a sweetheart. Joe did seem pretty stoic for most of the night...but at the same time....I did get a couple of pictures of him smiling. He absolutely tore up all of his guitar solos! I have to say....now I know what people are talking about when they say that the excitement kicks into overtime when he starts his songs. As soon as "Walk Away" started, it was like someone had thrown a firecracker under people! At least that's how it seemed down where I was.

It's really hard to pick favorite songs or moments....but I'll try! lol I'm not even going to try to keep them in order! lol

Long Road Out Of Eden - LOVED it!! It seemed like how a movie builds until the end.....that's what it was like with this song. Don sounded fantastic and Joe's guitar solo was AMAZING...Don even had to come over and watch! lol

Boys of Summer & Dirty Laundry - I kept saying that I hoped they would keep those in the setlist until I got to see them live and when I did it was very emotional for me! Don sounded awesome and it was fun to see Glenn and Joe mouthing the words in parts.

Lyin Eyes - I loved Glenn's introduction and his little "A rich old man and she won't have to worry......much" or maybe it was "maybe"...I don't really remember which one but it was cute. The harmonies were amazing, especially when they start the chorus with "You can't hide your lyin' eyes."

Walk Away - like I said before....as soon as the guitar intro started people went crazy!

Funk 49 - Loved Joe and Glenn's little "battle" at the beginning. All the guys seem to really enjoy playing it and I'm pretty sure I saw Don singing along in a couple of spots....I don't think he had a mic

Life's Been Good - Like the previous, the guys seem to have a lot of fun with it and they all seem to enjoy seeing Joe cut loose.

I Can't Tell You Why - Tim sings it so beautifully. He sounded a bit hoarse on it but still amazing!

Somebody - Glenn really seemed to cut loose on it and I loved Don and Tim sharing background vocals and the mic!

Heartache Tonight - As soon as they started the intro people started to sit down around me, including my friend. I was like NOOOO don't sit down! You'll just be right back up! She's like why and I said it's Heartache Tonight! And true to form, everyone shot to their feet as soon as they realized it. lol

Take It To The Limit - I've always liked Randy's version better, but it was special that night. The crowd all around me stood up for most of the song and really seemed into it which kind of suprised me because they usually sat down for slower songs.

One of These Nights - Hello....vocals...harmonies...bass....drums....lov ed it ALL!

The Long Run - Probably one of my favorite songs. I loved Don's little intro to it. I loved his sense of humor and sarcasm. He seems to enjoy this one (as do I lol) and Joe was a little more animated with it as well.

Witchy Woman - Don sounded FANTASTIC!!! Glenn's guitar solos were awesome!

All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Glenn's dancing was too cute. I got about 8 seconds of it on camera

Rocky Mountain Way - Glenn danced during this one too! And "rocked" the guitar back and forth. lol It was really cute.

No More Walks In The Woods - Flawless harmonies!

Waiting In The Weeds - Again....Don sounded amazing!

Ok ok ......... I have to stop or I'll go through the whole setlist. It was all amazing! The crowd was VERY loud and it seemed like the guys really appreciated it. Being closer, it was more noticeable that they were enjoying themselves with the little smiles and dances. I did think that I saw Don give Joe a look during one of his solos were it seemed he was really getting into it and "ad-libbing" a little bit..........needless to say it didn't last much longer. lol

Anyway, it was FANTASTIC and now I just want to follow them all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

So.........do you want me to share my pictures in this thread? All at once or a few at a time?