Page 54 of 299 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you listening to right now?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What are you listening to right now?

It's from the One Of These Nights album (1975).

It is a gorgeous song, isn't it, Stars? I love Don's voice. He sounds so sweet and youthful

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post

I managed to obtain live versions of The Searchers' "Needles And Pins" from their 8 April 1964 performance on The Ed Sullivan Show (about two months after The Beatles made history on that show), among quite a few other exciting live appearances, as well as several new live Beatles performances.

The Searchers are my third favourite group after The Beatles and the Eagles. The gorgeous Mike Pender is my favourite member of the group, although he left them in 1985 to pursue his own career and form his own group. He still has a stunning voice, and the jangly 12-string sound he created on songs like "Needles And Pins", "Don't Throw Your Love Away" and "When You Walk In The Room" pre-empted the sound created by The Byrds, although the latter is given credit for it. Both Mike and The Searchers still perform to this day, and very successfully so.
    This is funny, MF, because not too long ago my husband and I heard N & P on the radio and remembered it from days gone by. I tried to find it to download, but the one I got doesn't really sound like the original version. I will have to check out the other two songs you mentioned and try them out. Sounds like I should also look up a picture of the group.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I will not go Quietly - Don Henley
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mrs Frey

I managed to obtain live versions of The Searchers' "Needles And Pins" from their 8 April 1964 performance on The Ed Sullivan Show (about two months after The Beatles made history on that show), among quite a few other exciting live appearances, as well as several new live Beatles performances.

The Searchers are my third favourite group after The Beatles and the Eagles. The gorgeous Mike Pender is my favourite member of the group, although he left them in 1985 to pursue his own career and form his own group. He still has a stunning voice, and the jangly 12-string sound he created on songs like "Needles And Pins", "Don't Throw Your Love Away" and "When You Walk In The Room" pre-empted the sound created by The Byrds, although the latter is given credit for it. Both Mike and The Searchers still perform to this day, and very successfully so. [/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    This is funny, MF, because not too long ago my husband and I heard N & P on the radio and remembered it from days gone by. I tried to find it to download, but the one I got doesn't really sound like the original version. I will have to check out the other two songs you mentioned and try them out. Sounds like I should also look up a picture of the group.
    Brooke, I can help you with this. Firstly, if you'd like to hear the original group perform "Needles And Pins" live, go to the following YouTube link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzyGf4qBcRg[/ame]

This is the 8 April 1964 Ed Sullivan Show performance. You'll notice that Mike Pender, who is the lead vocalist on the studio recording, shares the vocals here with Tony Jackson, who was the lead singer on "Sweets For My Sweet" and "Sugar And Spice", two of their other big hits. When Tony left the group (partly because he wasn't too happy that the group decided Mike should sing lead on "Needles And Pins" and "Don't Throw Your Love Away"), Mike took over lead vocals on most of their records.

To hear the original recording on YouTube, you can go to this link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spm56LijMuA&feature=related[/ame]

Here, the video shows a different Searchers line-up lip-synching to the original record. Mike Pender is still in the band at this time, as this was recorded, I would assume, sometime in the '70s. Either way, this is the recording you're looking for, with visuals to accompany it.

Now, for a little eye-candy, I bring you The Searchers, 1963:

The original line-up: Tony Jackson, John McNally, Chris Curtis and Mike Pender.

My favourite photo of the band looks thus - The Searchers, 1964:

John McNally, Frank Allen, Chris Curtis and Mike Pender. I was fortunate enough to receive a personal letter from Frank in 2002, after I wrote to him. Frank replaced Tony in 1964, and along with John, still performs with The Searchers to this day.

And to end this Searchers lesson, here's a screencap I made from their video for "I Don't Want To Go On Without You" (also to be found on YouTube):

Mike is so HOT. He has the nicest lips since Elvis (sorry, Glenn )! Okay, he doesn't look like that anymore (he was 22 years old then), but I don't think he looks bad for 67:

I hope you girls don't mind my indulging somewhat in some of the OTHER music I listen to, and OTHER guys I drool over. I also hope you don't mind my posting photos in this thread. It was all to assist Brooke you see... [good excuse, that]

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I didn't mind one little bit! Thank you MF for helping me out here! I do like the original recording best.

Oh yes, very nice lips indeed!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Love it MF!! Wasn't Sweets For My Sweet done by someone else also in the 70's? It seems I remember having a 45 single of that song but not this version.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

MF, I think Mike Pender looks very handsome at 67! Do you know if he was ever part of the Moody Blues? (I am probably thinking of someone else!)
    By the way, I remember the Searchers very well, and always liked "Needles and Pins" a lot. I loved their sound!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've NEVER minded you posting on ANY thread MF. In fact I'm delighted you seem to be getting a little more Glenn time (or is it Mike Time?).

I'm actually watching Jane Eyre on DVD. A dramatisation of what was my favourite book as a teenager and young adult.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    MF, I think Mike Pender looks very handsome at 67! Do you know if he was ever part of the Moody Blues? (I am probably thinking of someone else!)
    By the way, I remember the Searchers very well, and always liked "Needles and Pins" a lot. I loved their sound!

You're thinking of Mike Pinder, who was the Moody Blues' first keyboards player.