Page 4 of 109 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    You'll have to record Miles singing. What a kick!! And pictures!! Take pictures!!
    Taking pictures is not a problem. Didn't take any yesterday because we to busy rollin on the floor as he was getting into the whole scene! Especially the "wolf howl!" He's got the headbanging down and the facial expressions are nailed! Really need a video of all this <LOL>

But recording presents a problem. I have minimal equipment right now. A mic, a guitar and an amp that has only one input. I have another acoustic amp that has mic and guitar inputs (Fender Acoustasonic Jr.) but I'll have to retrieve that from my father-in-law. Anyway, the mic can plug into the Marshal practice amp I have but then I wouldn't have an output to the computer's sound card. With the guitar, I can plug into the amp and then plug the mic into the sound card and record that way.

I need a better sound card I guess that can take the output straight from the amp. My sound card is supposed to be able to do that but it doesn't work. To get clean sound I have to mic the amp into the computer and that doesn't leave a mic for Miles to sing into <sigh>.

With the Acoustasonic, I can plug in the guitar and a mic and then would just have to get another mic to plug into the computer. I might have to do some running around today and see if I can find a decent mic to give me what I need.

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Here is it!! My new baby! it sounds like heaven and it's small so I can actually HOLD on to it!! Im so happy!!!

ticky's Ax

the coffee mug is about 20 oz's (I only say this cuz WT was making fun of my caffine addiction :P)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Oh Ticky, its Beautiful. I hope you have many happy times playing it. Good luck
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I am Definitely Interested GAN! Sam's has removed the picture of the promo. Is it a Jasmine? If not, which model Tak? I know someone else who is getting a Tak this weekend!

The Eagles have had a long running association with Takamine. They autographed one and presented it to Bill Clinton back when he was in office. You are in good company!

And, don't trash that Fender Woody! It should be just about well marinated with sound about now! It may have battle scars, but older guitars, especially acoustics sound better with 20 or 30 (or more!) years of age.

My Father-in-law has a Gibson archtop acoustic from back in the 1920's that doesn't even have a model number! The body is cracked and it looks like hell but that thing SOUNDS wonderful anyway! I've encouraged him NOT to have it repaired. It would ruin it's "vintage" value. I hate to even speculate on what that old ax is worth on the market today!

What about amps for the Squire? Have you doctored it? Lowered the action? Do you play it a lot? What type music?

I started out on Peter Paul and Mary back in 1963 myself. Never have gotten much further than chords.

As you have probably surmised, I love guitars!
    I know you like guitars Mike!! Apologies for not getting back sooner. I actually responded last evening with a few pics as well. I then went to put in one teeny weeny emoticon. My whole system froze and I had no option but to shut down and restart, thus losing everything.

OK the Takamine is a G-series Takamine. Here is what the original add looked like:

And a close up of the sigs

Of course, like you and Joe I assumed that just handling something Glenn actually touched would transfer some of that magic to my fingers and I would play as well as he does. Sadly that was not to be!!

Anyway here is one of the one I eventually DID get.

and again the sigs close up:

Glenn's has come out well in a nice position. I think he knew I was going to buy it and made sure!

As regards playing, well I played the Fender for years in various school and church music groups until the kids were born. It then went on ice for a while due to time constraints, but now I am attending a guitar group on a Monday evening. At the moment I am playing mainly Eagles and Glenn Frey music as I have built up quite a collection of their songs over the last few years. Its mainly chords but I managed IDTWNW using my own version of Guitar TAB over the summer. Laura actually recognised it!! lol!

I just have a fairly basic 'starter' amp which came with my Fender Squier. When you live in a semi-d thats all you can really use. Coupled with the fact that my son finds loud and sudden noise very difficult to handle. I haven't doctored i as I wouldn't know what to do!! lol! Again I play Eagles and Glenn on the electric guitar as well. This is it:

Your FIL's guitar sounds like a real gem too!

I take it the person getting a Tak this weekend is Ticky. If so I saw it on another thread Ticky! It looks great! Happy playing!
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I can't tell you why Photobucket won't display these images. I'll put them in my photos file and you can access them there.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Lisa, Thanks *G* and what can I say? Jealous much? YES I am!!! Both your guitars are gorgeous! and the Sigs are perfect!

My Tak is a G series too, but its a concert guitar so its a bit smaller then the standard dreadnought but thats perfect for me. It fits like it was made for me and the sound is beautiful! I had the guy at the store lower the strings a little to save my poor fingers, but they're still pretty sore *G* I can actually play a recognizable Peaceful, Easy Feeling (if I sing a long with it *G*) but compared to old Buzzy, it's an Angel's harp *G*

Ticky, there is just one thing I don't understand....I thought you wanted a RED one! <LOL> You have a seriously nice guitar there and I KNOW you will get more enjoyment from it than you can possibly imagine!

GAN,
    What is the finish on your Tak "G"? I've never seen one with that finish before and I like it! I take it that you do not play it a lot? I'd be afraid I'd wear away the sigs myself. That's about where my elbow would be rubbing.

I like the finish on that Squire too. You can't go wrong with red!

I played for years in a Praise Group too. That's where I got to sample a lot of different guitars...mostly acoustic. But once I landed my EPI, they wanted me to bring it so I ended up bringing the Sheraton and plugged in straight to the mixing board. But with the Seagull, I had to have an amp to kick the signal to something the PA system could work with. That's why I got the Acoustasonic. The thing is a monster in weight though it is supposed to be portable. It weighs at least 50 pounds and is barely small enough to sit in the back seat. So, I looked like I was "moving in" on Sunday mornings <LOL>. By the time I hauled in two guitars, an amp, two guitar stands and all the cords and tuners, I was worn out before it was time to play!

But that is how you begin to reach your potential as a player. The chalenges of playing before a crowd, whether it be a church congregation or a bunch of partiers at a night club....it pushes you to new limits!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Sorry, but no way will I be able to pay attention to ANY riff during that song--I am always to busy counting freckles on a certain singer of that one

Now I know why I like that guitar --I love the blues (Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray, Kenny Wayne...). Is that the kind of guitar BB King's Lucille is?
    I LOOOOOVE Jonny Lang! Marc Broussard is also another amazing soul singer who happens to be one of my very favorites. He generally plays more acoustic guitar himself than blues guitar though.

Right now I have cheapies.......a Peavey electric and bass, as well as a applause acoustic electric. However, I did just "accidentally" purchase a Fender Jazz 4-string bass on ebay.

Okay, we've got everything except a drummer. What are we going to call ourselves?...

"Borderline?"

MikeA

Boarderline is good *G* I just want to see how we're gonna manage practice!!