Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Heheheh Mike.... Sounds like a good deal to me!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

The "other thing" about those "specials" at Newegg: Most of them do not come loaded with an OS...so there's another $100. I have a love/hate relationship with buying a new computer or guitar. They are both major investments for my entertainment budget and I'm anal about getting the most bang for my buck! Lots of research that is mostly fun to do. But by the time I'm through doing the research I have so much data to process that I'm never convinced that I've made the right choices~!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The "other thing" about those "specials" at Newegg: Most of them do not come loaded with an OS...so there's another $100. I have a love/hate relationship with buying a new computer or guitar. They are both major investments for my entertainment budget and I'm anal about getting the most bang for my buck! Lots of research that is mostly fun to do. But by the time I'm through doing the research I have so much data to process that I'm never convinced that I've made the right choices~!
    Sounds just like my husband! By the time he's done the online research, the shoe-leather research and read articles in magazines, the model is obsolete!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

The "research" is at LEAST 50% of the fun in getting something "techie" and new! Wouldn't be nearly as "good" if I just went out and bought it. I've got to have that anticipation to frost the cake.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The "research" is at LEAST 50% of the fun in getting something "techie" and new! Wouldn't be nearly as "good" if I just went out and bought it. I've got to have that anticipation to frost the cake.
    I understand - enjoy it!!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Well since this thread had stopped I HAD to give it CPR and revive it!

I have been playing BASS GUITAR for the last almost 2 weeks. Nothing but me and my Fender Jazz Bass. So I wanted to go over the 2 most popular basses of all time, and go over some of the history, famous players, and which one is better for a certain type of music. I will start with Fender's first bass.

Fender Precision Bass (aka P-Bass):

(first model)

(second/most popular model)

This was Fender's first bass, and the first Electric Bass Guitar made into production. It was released in 1951. It was called the Precision Bass, due to it's ability to play more precisely than a double (upright) bass. It looked very similar to their Telecaster electric 6-string guitar. It had one pickup and two knobs (volume and tone). In 1953, Fender added contours to the body of the bass to make it more comfortable for the player of the bass. In 1957, the biggest changes were made since the original '51 bass. It received updates to make it appear more like the Stratocaster electric guitar. A new pickguard, headstock design, and pickups were among the changes. The new pickup was a split coil pickup offering noise cancellation and a punchier, more aggressive sound. In 1959, Fender started putting Rosewood fretboards on the necks of all of their instruments (Telecaster, Stratocaster, etc) after Leo Fender saw his maple-necked guitars on TV looking dirty and worn. In 1967, Fender made it an option to have either rosewood or maple, where as from '59 until then, it was only rosewood.

Sound Quality: Punchy, aggressive, precise
    Famous Players: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Bob Babbitt, John Entwhistle, Phil Lynott, Tom Hamilton, Bill Black, Duff McKagan, Cliff Williams, and Randy Meisner

Fender Jazz Bass (aka J-Bass):

In 1960, Fender decided to make a "Deluxe" model bass, with what they thought to be improvements over the Precision, as they did with the Stratocaster being an improvement over the Telecaster. They called it the Jazz Bass for its smooth mellow tone. The body of the bass was very much like that of the Stratocaster, considered by many to be more sleek and sexy and comfortable to play. It came with a Rosewood fretboard (Maple neck versions weren't offered until about '67, when Fender also offered them on the Precision), 2 stacked knobs, and 2 single coil pickups. Unlike the Precision Bass pickup, the Jazz Bass pickups were not noise-cancelling. They had a very midrangey, smooth, mellow tone yet brighter with a lot of clarity and versatility. In 1961 Fender redesigned the knobs to have 3 separate knobs. 2 volumes and 1 tone control instead of the prior stacked knobs. People generally preferred the new design with the separate controls. This bass was priced (and still is today) more than a Precision, as Fender considered it their "Deluxe" bass model of their lineup of guitars.

Sound Quality: Smooth, bright, midrange-focused
    Famous Players: Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones, Berry Oakley, Noel Redding, Marcus Miller, Steve Bailey, Larry Graham, Victor Bailey, and Timothy B. Schmit

Eagles' Preference: To tie this into the Eagles, Randy Meisner was a Precision Bass guy (the 2nd model) and Timothy B. Schmit is a Jazz Bass guy. Those were their instruments. Although you can see Tim with a Precision and Randy with a Jazz, they mainly played their above bass both live and in studio.

Austin's Preference: I prefer the Jazz Bass. But I would like to get a Precision Bass to have in the collection. But I'm a Jazz guy like Tim.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 05-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Austin, how do you feel about Rickenbacker basses, which are preferred by Paul McCartney along with his legendary Hofner? I'm not trying to sidetrack you from Fender; just interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Austin, how do you feel about Rickenbacker basses, which are preferred by Paul McCartney along with his legendary Hofner? I'm not trying to sidetrack you from Fender; just interested.
    Great basses! Fender though has dominated the electric bass market for quite some time with their P and J bass models and 90 percent of music since their release have been recorded with them but that doesn't mean there aren't any other good basses.

Rickenbacker makes a great bass. Randy Meisner used one quite a bit on the Hotel California tour (can be seen in the video too). Also, Music Man (made by Ernie Ball) makes a great "Stingray" model bass. Hofner makes the great violin bass but honestly I've never liked them myself playing-wise but they are a great quality and certainly legendary (thanks to Paul & The Beatles). Gibson has made some basses, mainly the SG bass and the Thunderbird (Bass version of the Firebird). But honestly Fender has dominated the electric bass market and has been on more recordings than any other electric bass guitar. But there are lots of great basses out there. Warwick also makes a good bass, as does Carvin (Tim has played these).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Mike (if you read this) - is everything ok?! You seem kind of quiet lately - I haven't seen hardly any posts from you. Hope everything is ok!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Things are okay. Just taking a break from the forum for a while. Got so much going on with building the new computer and opening up our yard for Summer (if it ever gets here). Two ponds and a swimming pool plus residing part of the house. With one computer on the blink, I don't have one upstairs any more so have to go to the basement to link up. By the time I can do that, I'm sick of looking at computers!

MikeA