Page 10 of 109 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    OO OOO OOO!! Maleah!!! Don and I play the same guitar!! well except his is proly a lot fancier then mine and I know his is an electric accoustic and his is brown, but it's a Tak G-series concert cut away. It's very pretty and has amazing tone. If you're like me and not a long armed, long fingered person, the smaller concert size is perfect to hold. It fits! Mine has a red finish and Don's had a brown finish and I can tell you I paid about $230.00 for it. The electric acoustic's are a bit more. As far as electric guitars, Im not sure what Don would normally play, but I have seen him play fenders and Gibson Les Paul's, which is also one of the guitars Glenn and Joe play. (Tim usually plays a carvin bass)
    this is mine..
    LOL Ticky! I thought Don's was reddish too? Geez I must be REALLY color blind! LOL! How pathetic And I'm definently not a long-fingered person! Hmmm...I'm definently going to have to look into this one further! I really do want the a/e version though because it's really nice to be able to plug it in sometimes.

Don definently seems to play Fender Telecasters for the majority of the time as far as electrics go. Which I would ALSO like to get!

Shouldn't they still have the actual electric acoustic version somewhere on the site though? Am I just missing it???? Or is it THAT one and they just have a more expensive alternative made just for them? lol

Also...just out of curiosity .....does anyone know what the brand of the congo's that they play at the shows is? I know they have the DW drums but not a clue for the congo/percussion set.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I'd love to have an electric someday but this is closer to what I want

or I'd settle for

but first I'll learn to play what I have, then I'll move on *G*

Weeeell.....if we're talking what we WANT......

I want a Les Paul....I'd settle for the Epiphone version since the Gibson will never be in my price range. lol

I want a Fender Jazz bass - 4 string

And I either want a Takamine or Taylor acoustic electric or electric acoustic....whichever wording works

Oh yes......I also want congo drums!

I've been playing around with them everytime I go into the local music store. They're so much FUN! lol

Ticky I'm assuming this is the acoustic electric version? http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=2313&sid=525

The price went up to like $320 or $350 on this one

yep, that looks like it be the one *G*

As for the Les Paul *G* ya gotta love it. they are SO much fun to play with. SOMEday... The Epi's, i just love the looks of the Archtops and someday I wanna learn how to play em too!! *G*

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    Weeeell.....if we're talking what we WANT......
    And I either want a Takamine or Taylor acoustic electric or electric acoustic....whichever wording works
    If you ever do seriously consider the upper-end acoustics like "Taylor" do yourself a favor and find someone who will let you play a "Gallagher". I've had the privilege of playing one and alternating with a "Taylor". The "Taylor" sounded to .. hmmm .. "bell like". The Gallagher was more mellow. The guy that had both guitars and stepped on the Taylor and broken the neck. He had the guitar repaired at the factory (Perfect repair...actually, I think they just replaced the guitar!) but he knew it had been destroyed and bought the Gallagher and was trying to sell me the Taylor. Instead, I bought my Seagull from him.

I'm in no hurry to do anything about replacing my Seagull though.

I'm a little skeptical of all those on-board equalizers and built in tuners on acoustic guitars though. My father-in-law has a "Silvertone" that has that package and even new, it didn't work right.

I'm more old school I guess. Since I do have an acoustic amp, I like just the straight peizio under the bridge passive pickup. Let the guitar worry about producing tone and let the pickup and amp handle the other stuff. Or, just a sound-hole pickup that you can remove when you don't want to plug in.

But I do recommend getting an acoustic that has some kind of pickup whether it's an add on unit after the fact or a built in pickup. If you are planning on getting an amp, then "any" kind of pickup will suffice. But if you do not plan on getting an amp, then get one that has an active pickup driven by batteries (usually a square 9 vdc).

If you're reading this note then very likely you have a computer <LOL> and these days, virtually every computer has a sound card with a "line-in". With an "active" pickup, you will probably have enough power from the guitar to plug straight into the sound card and either amplify the sound through your computer or even record with it. Some of the "passive" pickups do not have enough power to do that without going through some sort of amp to kick the signal strength up. My Seagull doesn't have the raw power to go straight into a computer....but I can peal paint with it plugged into my Acoustic Amp!

I've got to confess. I'm getting hooked on recording for the sake of recording! It's a BLAST! It was something I really could afford to do "way back when". The gear was just too expensive. But with the increases horsepower in computers these days, recording is not that expensive!

I have an audio interface "in the mail" now that completely bypasses the sound card on the computer by exchanging the information with the recording software via USB. This gives a much more "live" sound than the sound card's input. Truely, the computer sound cards are made for "PLAYBACK" and very little expense was spared on the mic-in and line-in ports and circuitry...just enough to allow input of a cheap mic for Voice Chatting.

The interface comes with software to record and introduce some 80 amps, speaker cabs, and effects. Very inexpensive. Under $100.

I have a small mixing board that my Father-in-law wasn't using. And I had a matched pair of microphones from LONG AGO. And it is a blast. Here's a little riff that you may recognize.

But if you think I could just plug in and play that sucker like that you would be flattering me! It took a few takes and I had to cut and paste to get the best of several passes hooked together for a flawless run. So to Joe I say "What you lack in talent, you can copy with technology" <LOL>

I recorded that riff using my Frankenstrat set on all pickups with the tone control turned down. I plugged into my VOX with an amp model that used a Fender "Blackface" with a 4x12 speaker cab. I cranked the "reverb" up all the way and lowered the output from the mixing board so that it didn't overdrive the line-in on the sound card.

I captured the tracks using the freeware opensource software "Audacity". I used Audacity to capture several tracks and cut and pasted until I had a run that had no blatant errors in it. Then I had to speed it up to get it close to as fast as Joe plays it. Now what amazes me is that Joe plays this LIVE and repeats it flawlessly maybe a thousand times <LOL> during live performances! It gives me yet another greater respect for his artistry! And I was joking when I said that what some can do with skill and talent, anyone can do with technology. You CAN'T. But you can have fun trying!
    Last edited by MikeA; 04-02-2009 at 09:30 AM.

MikeA

Ticky I thought you would be interested in knowing that I emailed Takamine and asked them what guitar Don uses and this is the picture that they sent me and the reply.....

Look familiar?

Here's what they said:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I am attaching a photo of the guitar I think you are asking about. Don is using the EF108WR which is discontinued.
    It was an FXC body style in wine red with a CT4B-II preamp.

Here is a link to the FXC body styles Takamine has now.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=searchfxc

You might also want to look into the NEX body style if you are looking for a small body guitar.

Thank you and hope this helps."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a little research on that guitar and it's at LEAST $1700!

YEEOWCH!!! $1700?? eeesh! I paid $245 for mine on sale but it's not electric or have the pick ups that one has. *G* It's purdy tho, isnt it? this is mine
    likes a lot like that one, but. like I said, no preamp, no pick up