Page 16 of 109 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Gearhead

Wow Mike--How cool for you. I can almost hear you now! Congrats. That's what most of the legendary jazz/blues performers, John Lee Hooker and such, use/used right?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Wow Mike--How cool for you. I can almost hear you now! Congrats. That's what most of the legendary jazz/blues performers, John Lee Hooker and such, use/used right?
    A lot of Blues players have used Les Pauls. In fact, I don't think there are very many genres that have NOT been infiltrated with Les Pauls.

I could be wrong on this, but I read somewhere that Pete Townshend of "The Who" was the first Brit to pick up on the Les Paul guitars back around 1967. After he started playing one on stage, they became VERY POPULAR because of the application of the humbucker pickup sound that only Gibson had at the time. Everyone else was pretty much using single-coil pickups.

Actually, I think Gibson developed the humbucker pickups back in '57, but they were not "popular" until much later. Can't imagine why that is a fact!

MikeA

WOW. Blown away! Ordered the LP about an hour ago via the WEB Site and paid with PayPal. I just got off the phone with a Customer Rep who is also a musician. Great conversation. They do not "set up" guitars but do perform a "55 point" inspection. That includes minor adjustments to bridge height if needed to insure that it is not ridiculously high nor so low that it buzzes. Obviously, they take it out of the box and plug it in and actually play it before shipping.

Truss Rod shouldn't be a problem as it is set initially at the Gibson factory. Intonation is also set for 10-gauge strings. Should be ready to hammer on as soon as I get it unless I want to adjust the bridge a bit lower...probably will.

Oh, they are shipping TODAY and it should be in my hands either Friday or Saturday.

A couple of things I confirmed. This git comes with Gibson Burstbucker pickups rather than the 498T and 490R numbers that used to be standard on the LPs.

Also, he indicated that as far as he knows, there is no "chambering" or "Hole Cutting" in the body to reduce weight though there are some upper end models of the LPs that do have that chambering done.

MikeA

I don't understand half of it Mike, but I know EXCITED when I hear it! Congrats!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Oh yeah Cathy..."excited" is a fair superlative. Try to think of something you've wanted for 50 years and never had it (I know there is NOTHING you've wanted for FIFTY YEARS...not yet anyway!) Then you find it will be in your hands in three or four days. Yeah, "Excited" describes it <LOL> I'll have to change my signature "audio" clip to "Turn To Stone" in honor of the ax!

Something like this:

I played that one on my Frankenstrat (Fender Prodigy) with drop "D" tuning. I liked the harmonics that low "D" produced and especially the addition to the Bar'd "D" chord. I added some muted chords under the solo to fill in space though it's nothing like what the original recording sounded like. Probably the solo part didn't sound much like it anyway, but I like that register.

Parts of that solo vaguely remind me of Clapton's "Layla" and Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin"
    Last edited by MikeA; 10-09-2009 at 09:10 AM.

MikeA

NOW you're speakin' my language!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado

congrats man! I haven't owned a les paul in awhile, but they are sure nice guitars...

here is a little tune I did in my home studio.....

I'm more of a telecaster guy (like Walsh and Leadon) but I am an equal opportunity lover of guitars....
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    congrats man! I haven't owned a les paul in awhile, but they are sure nice guitars...

here is a little tune I did in my home studio.....

I'm more of a telecaster guy (like Walsh and Leadon) but I am an equal opportunity lover of guitars....

Way clean man! I've got a long ways to go and learned a long time ago, it's not the end that is important, but rather what you experience along the way!

That track was very very good. Give us more!

MikeA

Border Desperado

here is my evidence of being an inveterate guitar lover-->

I'll put some more tracks up when I get a chance... I'm hoping to have a cd done pretty soon.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

BB, wow.. beautiful collection!! and i loved the track!! Im looking forward to hearing more.
    Im just learning to play, got myself a really pretty little Tak acoustic last year and Im looking for an electric this year. Im pretty excited about the SG Special. I know it's not the best of the best, but it feels good and I love the sound. My brother is an amazing musician and wants to start a band and he wants me in it.. well.. I can try *G*