Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    One that comes to mind is "I Can't Tell You Why" That low 5-note riff that is iconic for that song is Stu making that 335 wail with a little reverb tossed in!

Sorry, but no way will I be able to pay attention to ANY riff during that song--I am always to busy counting freckles on a certain singer of that one

Now I know why I like that guitar --I love the blues (Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray, Kenny Wayne...). Is that the kind of guitar BB King's Lucille is?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Sorry, but no way will I be able to pay attention to ANY riff during that song--I am always to busy counting freckles on a certain singer of that one

Now I know why I like that guitar --I love the blues (Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray, Kenny Wayne...). Is that the kind of guitar BB King's Lucille is?
    Well, Lucille is almost an es-335. It was a version set up especially for B.B> King. The other guys you mentioned are "modern" bluesmen and most of them are using Strats.

MikeA

Here is another one of those posts that I didn't know where to put. I got a catalog from Carvin in the mail today and Walsh is endorsing two guitars in it (i.e. they have him pictured holding/playing them).

One is the CT6S that he was playing in the YouTube that generated so much talk over Joe's "health".

The other is a CS6S which is a Les Paul shaped guitar.

I didn't want to put the pics "in-line" in a message because to get them large enough to see the postage sized pictures of Joe, I had to take them to 100% resolution at 200DPI...that's pretty big. But, here are the Links:

I do "freckle counting" too but most of my counting is centered on the guitars!

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/VP_Screens/MikeA/ct6m.jpg
    http://www.mvabercrombie.net/VP_Screens/MikeA/cs6m.jpg
    Last edited by MikeA; 10-08-2008 at 05:03 PM.

MikeA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

That is a beautiful collection of guitars that you and your son have amassed Mike. Do you play much?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    That is a beautiful collection of guitars that you and your son have amassed Mike. Do you play much?
    Not really much any more. Or not as much as I used to play. When I play now, it's just for fun...knocking around in the basement when my wife is not at home <LOL>

I figured that if I bought enough guitars, eventually, one of them would play like Joe Walsh. My intentions were good but my talent was lacking!

Let me put it this way: The infatuation you Ladies (Capital "L") have with the band members is a lot more likely to show a realized goal than have I in reaching a goal to play a 6-string like Walsh or Felder <LOL> But that doesn't stop me from making noise trying! Heck, I'm only 60, so I have years and years to practice

MikeA

I think I've done enough guitar buying this year!!
    The implication is that you have a guitar or two. What do you have? Inquiring minds want to know?

MikeA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    The implication is that you have a guitar or two. What do you have? Inquiring minds want to know?
    Well, yes Mike I do! My first one was a Fender Accoustic which my parents bought me way back in 1982, and which has served me very well since. However last year I was thinking it was getting a little on was thinking of upgrading it when Maleah posted the following link

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...read.php?t=652

Now THAT whetted my apetite as you can imagine. You can read about it in the link, and suffice to say that thanks to a lot of help from Soda and a lot of support from everyone else the magic package finally arrived.

I also have a Fender Squier electric guitar which my better half bought me for Christmas last year.

My daughter has a 3/4 size accoustic guitar that we got her for her 6th birthday and a 3/4 size 'Hello Kitty' electric guitar thet was for her 7th!!. I'll put some pics of them all into my profile if you want to view them.

Thanks for your interest!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I'll put some pics of them all into my profile if you want to view them.

Thanks for your interest!!

I am Definitely Interested GAN! Sam's has removed the picture of the promo. Is it a Jasmine? If not, which model Tak? I know someone else who is getting a Tak this weekend!

The Eagles have had a long running association with Takamine. They autographed one and presented it to Bill Clinton back when he was in office. You are in good company!

And, don't trash that Fender Woody! It should be just about well marinated with sound about now! It may have battle scars, but older guitars, especially acoustics sound better with 20 or 30 (or more!) years of age.

My Father-in-law has a Gibson archtop acoustic from back in the 1920's that doesn't even have a model number! The body is cracked and it looks like hell but that thing SOUNDS wonderful anyway! I've encouraged him NOT to have it repaired. It would ruin it's "vintage" value. I hate to even speculate on what that old ax is worth on the market today!

What about amps for the Squire? Have you doctored it? Lowered the action? Do you play it a lot? What type music?

I started out on Peter Paul and Mary back in 1963 myself. Never have gotten much further than chords.

As you have probably surmised, I love guitars!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Mike, I assume you know Felder's story about the Takamine that was presented to Clinton? He said they should have given him a Gibson or a Martin, not a 'cheap Japanese guitar'. I found the implications behind this comment offensive to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Mike, I assume you know Felder's story about the Takamine that was presented to Clinton? He said they should have given him a Gibson or a Martin, not a 'cheap Japanese guitar'. I found the implications behind this comment offensive to say the least.
    Yes, I remember that from Felder. In a way, I can see his point, HOWEVER, if the Eagles, for whatever reason were committed to Takamine and used them almost exclusively onstage (certainly true of Glenn) then giving the President or anyone else an autographed guitar would have been less than an honest presentation.

And, depending on the model, some Taks, like most any brand, are NOT all "cheap Japanese" guitars! Their upper end models are have a pretty hefty price tag...they just don't have the "name" that Gibson, Taylor or Martin have. Actually, if you want to be technical, I think they are made in China <LOL>. Probably have factories all over the place though. But I think Felder was going for "effect" by making that statement.

MikeA