Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable at all about guitars, other than being familiar with Lindsey Buckingham's famous Turner Model 1 and recognizing Glenn's "Old Black." Otherwise, I can't tell a Tele from a Strat! I still find reading these discussions interesting, even if I can't contribute.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable at all about guitars, other than being familiar with Lindsey Buckingham's famous Turner Model 1 and recognizing Glenn's "Old Black." Otherwise, I can't tell a Tele from a Strat! I still find reading these discussions interesting, even if I can't contribute.
    If Don is playing it, it's a Tele <LOL>. Glenn has a pretty wide arsenal of weapons. He playes Les Paul quite a bit. But acoustic, Glenn has been playing almost nothing but Takamine giters. Joe, well, heck, he probably has one of everything and picks the guitar that gives him exactly the sound the song calls for. It might be a $200 Danoelectric for slide work or it might be a priceless 1958 Les Paul! He doesn't care about brands that much but what that guitar can do for the sound he is after and each one is at least a little bit different in setup or electronics (pickups, pots, etc.) He has said that he usually comes back to Les Paul or Fender, but I think the scales tip toward Gibson for Joe. However, that might be changing with his endorsement of Carvin.

MikeA

I know even less than that. My sons have both been taking guitar lessons for a few months now, and sound decent for that level as far as I can tell. They have one acoustic and one electric guitar, but I don't know what name.

They've both taken piano for years, and are excellent at that. This year in school, the band director finally convinced my 7th grader to take up the xylophone (after a year of needling him), which should be interesting. My 4th grader is also just starting up the alto sax in school, but he was gung-ho for that on his own! And poor me, can only play music on my CD player!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I've noticed lately when I see him (Joe) in concert pics and in the videos, he's almost always using either his Les Paul, the black Fender strat or his custom carvin. Unless he's going acoustic then they all use the Taks (except Tim who's using a Bass I cant identify since I know diddlysquat about Bass's) but that's just from other peoples pics and the F1 and HFO vids.

and on the home front .. ahem.. I GET A NEW GUITAR TOMORROW!! YEA!!! (happy happy Ruprect dance <--obscure movie reference..)

When I get it, Ill post a picture for ya'll to admire *G*
    Last edited by ticky; 10-10-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    I've noticed lately when I see him (Joe) in concert pics and in the videos, he's almost always using either his Les Paul, the black Fender strat or his custom carvin.
    So we got another one hangin' out on the wires! Way to go Ticky!

So Joe's moved to that Black Fender huh? His goto Strat in the past has always been that turquoise Fender. Times to change. I know he likes that new hi-tech Les Paul but good grief....every guitar manufactorer in the business would supply Joe with whatever he wanted if only he'd use it!

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    So we got another one hangin' out on the wires! Way to go Ticky!
    *G* thanks!
    So Joe's moved to that Black Fender huh? His goto Strat in the past has always been that turquoise Fender.
    Nope, you're right. He does use the turquoise fender too. But not as often as the black. the black is old and beat up but I think he uses that a lot when he goes for the slide. Doesnt want to hurt that pretty turquoise vintage strat *G* WHICH btw, I saw and played with one VERY much like it today! (also a Les Paul Standard, A Seagull, several Taks and a VERY purdy Epi or two!)

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

My Hubby has three guitars. 2 acoustics and one electric. I know 1 of the acoustics is a Martin knock off that is why he bought it. For some reason Bob and his 2 brothers think the only guitar worth anything is a Martin. I have no musical ability at all so I leave all the struming up to them. They have all played for years but they won't be giving Joe any trouble anytime soon.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Question -once you learn guitar can you make an easy transition to bass? My son has several guitars and has played for years, mostly rock when he first started out. The new band he is in needed a bass player so he picked it up and now has one of them and is playing it. Of course what this band calls music, I do not! He really enjoys it tho and we have always encouraged it!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Question -once you learn guitar can you make an easy transition to bass? My son has several guitars and has played for years, mostly rock when he first started out. The new band he is in needed a bass player so he picked it up and now has one of them and is playing it. Of course what this band calls music, I do not! He really enjoys it tho and we have always encouraged it!
    My son did exactly that TBF. But whether it was easy or not, I couldn't say. My son has talent. I don't. It would be difficult for me as I haven't mastered the 6-string guitar yet (still working on Michael Row Your Boat Ashore) but then, I've only been trying for 50 years so I still have hope!

What he told me was that he started out with learning the notes for the bass for each chord in each key his band was playing in. Then he started improvising "filler" notes for each one of those chords. Now he's playing some sort of slap-bass that's really fast though I've seen him slow it down and mellow it out more like TBS plays. But Zack moves around in the group quite a bit. He's capable of playing some lead. But right now, he's moved from bass to playing rhythm on a baritone Ibanez.

"Teach Your Children Well" I didn't get any encouragement from my parents when it came to music...especially Guitar. I tried not to make that mistake with my two kids and I think it paid off.

Yesterday, my 2-1/2 year old grandson discovered my microphone! I've been letting him strum all three of my guitars as long as I'm there with him. But to hear him singing "Hey There Little Ridding Hood" amplified through the mic and slapping my acoustic, cracked me up! He's going to outdo his Uncle Zack I think!

MikeA

My son did exactly that TBF. But whether it was easy or not, I couldn't say. My son has talent. I don't. It would be difficult for me as I haven't mastered the 6-string guitar yet (still working on Michael Row Your Boat Ashore) but then, I've only been trying for 50 years so I still have hope!
    First of all... HA! and HA! I have heard you play. You have talent, Perhaps not like Zack or Joe, but dont sell yourself short there lil buckaroo!!

"Teach Your Children Well" I didn't get any encouragement from my parents when it came to music...especially Guitar. I tried not to make that mistake with my two kids and I think it paid off.

Yesterday, my 2-1/2 year old grandson discovered my microphone! I've been letting him strum all three of my guitars as long as I'm there with him. But to hear him singing "Hey There Little Ridding Hood" amplified through the mic and slapping my acoustic, cracked me up! He's going to outdo his Uncle Zack I think!
    You'll have to record Miles singing. What a kick!! And pictures!! Take pictures!!

Yesterday I took my cousins daughter to 5Star guitar to "play" and she had the BEST time! I dont know how thrilled my cousin will be. She fell in love with a butterfly shaped electric guitar! LOL it's just her size and she looked great holding it! Im going to let Sarah play Buzzy (my old guitar) if she's careful. Right now she kind of does what Miles does and strums the strings while it's still in the case. Maybe I'll spring for a stand for the new one too .. hmm...