Page 41 of 109 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

And Austin, I'm dejected. After all I've tried to teach you! You are way too happy in that video. You really need to work on the Face!

MikeA

If I would have busted into the solo, I would have made faces but when I'm just playing chords it's just not as inspiring to make faces as playing lead is!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Serious question....Did you record that before or after you got your hair cut?

Question: How do you play that descending 3-chord intro (acoustic I think) to the "F" "C" "G" (I toss in a Dm too...F C Dm then walk the from C to G and then to A)? I think that descending group of chords coming into the "verses" starts out with a "D" form up on the 5th fret but the second and third chords, I'm not sure of.

The part I'm thinking of is played when Joe transitions from the intro into the main verse sequence. He repeats it with variations several times.
    To answer your first question I recorded it before and uploaded it after! But honestly there isn't much difference now, other than just trimming my bangs some.

I will make an acoustic video sometime today on how I do that descending part. Joe just usually kicks on a Chorus pedal and goes clean when he does it live. But It's pretty close to the way you played it actually.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I play that part with a normal "D" chord but formed on the 5th and 6th frets instead of 2nd and 3rd. The second chord I use is a bar'd "C" on the 3rd fret ("A" form bar chord) and then end it with a Bb (Bar'd "A" form on the 1st fret. I know that's not the way Joe plays it but the sound is similar. However, Joe varies the chords just slightly each time he repeats it.

MikeA

Hmmm, maybe we should start a new thread...Gearhead for the talk about instruments, stomp boxes and amps and such. The another for the "Sound Bytes" and "Videos" we upload.

Anyone think that to be something worthwhile?

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Hmmm, maybe we should start a new thread...Gearhead for the talk about instruments, stomp boxes and amps and such. The another for the "Sound Bytes" and "Videos" we upload.

Anyone think that to be something worthwhile?
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

I think it's a good idea, Mike, because I'll admit I don't get over to Gearhead very often, so putting your stuff in a separate thread would keep it from getting buried in Gearhead.

Nice video Austin. I enjoyed that.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I think it's a good idea, Mike, because I'll admit I don't get over to Gearhead very often, so putting your stuff in a separate thread would keep it from getting buried in Gearhead.

Nice video Austin. I enjoyed that.
    Thank you!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Here is that part of Life's Been Good you asked about Mike:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...rent=lbg-1.mp4

It's hard for me to play it on acoustic though because I use heavier strings on that acoustic with a bit of a higher action and you have to keep the high E held down while barring the other strings! I can play it on electric though no pain.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh crap I didn't see the new thread. From now on all vids will go in there! I'm a bit slow today!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

You got the FACE! I have a whole new level of respect now <LOL>

Those are some really weird little fingerings on that acoustic lead-in. Not a natural chord shape so I'll have to develop new muscle memory for that!

THANKS AUSTIN! You da man!

MikeA