Page 43 of 109 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Joe was either Genius or Tripping when he came up with that mess! But it sounds good in that song!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Joe was either Genius or Tripping when he came up with that mess! But it sounds good in that song!
    I agree!

Messed around with it a bit. Instead of inventing or adapting to the shapes we are both describing, see if this works for you by using shapes we are all familiar with.

The "D" shape on the first go-round is pretty simple and a shape we all better know!

That second chord...the 3 5 5 chord....That's really the same as a barr'd "C" using the "A" form.

The 1 1 2 is just the top strings of an "F" chord.

Now to the others.

Your bar top 3 on the 5th fret with a 7th fret on the "D" string....well, that's part of a "Dm" bard on the 5th fret but leaving off the fretting of the B and G strings. Pretty easy if I make it that way.

The "F" on the 3rd fret....it's a freakin' "F" on a different fret. I can handle that.

And an Am is an Am <LOL>

Maybe it isn't as weird as it looks after you look at the overall shapes.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Messed around with it a bit. Instead of inventing or adapting to the shapes we are both describing, see if this works for you by using shapes we are all familiar with.

The "D" shape on the first go-round is pretty simple and a shape we all better know!

That second chord...the 3 5 5 chord....That's really the same as a barr'd "C" using the "A" form.

The 1 1 2 is just the top strings of an "F" chord.

Now to the others.

Your bar top 3 on the 5th fret with a 7th fret on the "D" string....well, that's part of a "Dm" bard on the 5th fret but leaving off the fretting of the B and G strings. Pretty easy if I make it that way.

The "F" on the 3rd fret....it's a freakin' "F" on a different fret. I can handle that.

And an Am is an Am <LOL>

Maybe it isn't as weird as it looks after you look at the overall shapes.
    Yep that works. I think Steuart plays something like that behind what Joe is playing (he just plays the barred version of the chord).

Stuck on the Border

Well I went and tried another Fender tube amp today and the Super Reverb will be my next one. Hopefully early next year sometime. Joe has used Super Reverbs a lot along with Twin Reverbs. I think he uses Deluxe Reverbs onstage with the Eagles because they want a quieter stage volume. I also picked up a new overdrive pedal and will be shooting a vid with that this weekend.

I have discovered a couple of things about pedals. They do really increase the flexibility of the amp I have. The AD**VT and the VT** series of VOX amps have two selectors primarily. There is one to select the AMP Model and then there is another that you can select the efffect with. The effects are mutually exclusive...If you want Phase, You can not combine it with the Reverb.

However, there is another feature that lets you select an amp model and pile it with effects and save that preset into channel 1. Then select another preset and save it to channel 2. I have a footswitch that allows me to switch between amp models and another footswitch that will deselect the effects. So I guess you could say that I have 4 options controled by foot without having to touch the amp controls.

That's handy as you well know with your array of foot pedals. But with a separate stompbox, that throws yet another foot selectable option. I'd like to get a good Wah-Wah pedal and maybe a Fuzz pedal.

I have pretty good COMP and a couple of okay Reverbs (spring and rotary) on the amp. Other than sometimes using the Chorus, that's about all I use. I seldom use the Tremlo and Phase and Delay unless I'm just playing around with Miles.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

I really recommend a Dunlop "Crybaby" Wah pedal. I have the one with a metal enclosure because I'm afraid of breaking it. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I really recommend a Dunlop "Crybaby" Wah pedal. I have the one with a metal enclosure because I'm afraid of breaking it. LOL!
    Actually, that's the one I've been looking at. Do you have one of the signature models or just the basic one?

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Actually, that's the one I've been looking at. Do you have one of the signature models or just the basic one?
    I have the Wylde model because it was the only all metal case one at the time.

This stomper sounds pretty wild...I mean it "reads" like it should be a great addition. I haven't actually heard it.

I found it when I was looking for something to emulate a 12-string. I do a lot of basically acoustic chord accompaniments for vocals and a 12-string adds a lot to many of those songs. I'd like to have a 12-string acoustic...or electric but not enough to go out and buy one. Now, and electric....hmmmm....that may go onto my bucket list!

But top priority would be a good wah and a fuzz box. My son had a pretty fully optioned Digitec unit but the pedal on it was a toy...plastic and it didn't have a good feel to it. Pretty worthless. Since they are still in business, I assume that they have improved their product.

MikeA