Page 8 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by wsccg View Post
    Never mind, I think I found it. Thank you though!!!
    WSCCG, you are activated now. WELCOME.

MikeA

Thanks Mike and Ticky!!
    "Burning the candle at both ends, twice the light in half the time..."

You are welcome! I'll be adding scales to finish out the complete Blues Scales in all keys, the will start on the Major Pentatonic and then on to the 7 Major and then into Modal Theory (Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian).

Music is facinating to investigate as well as appreciate (or play for that matter)! I wish that I had started this 50 years ago!

Now, this is not "lecture". WSCCG....I hope you will contribute! Anyone else of like mind as well!

While this type discussion probably isn't alligned with the scope of this forum, I think the technical arena will compliment The Border for those who are interested.

And if the preference is that I move it over here, then I can certainly do that. My intent has never been to "hide" anything or "recruit" visitors. Heck, the way I have my forum set up, it discourages visitors and that wasn't accomplished by accident.

MikeA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've just registered Mike!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I've just registered Mike!
    Excellent! You're authorized to the "Music" forum. Let me know if you want to get into the "Golf" or "Gambling" part. I've been adding a lot to the Scale and Theory sections. Look around. Questions and Contributions are extremely solicited!

MikeA

Default Johnson T25R All Tube Amp

I'm copying a user review of an amplifier that I am thinking very seriously about buying. They retail for $277 and shipping is included in that price. The thing is, it is a Pure Tube amp with two preamp tubes and two power tubes in the final! The 10" speaker is a point of concern from just about all who reviewed the amp, but I have a Bose cabinet with an 8" bass and two 3-1/2" reflecting tweeters that should cover me if I don't like the 10". Celestion speakers that some folks used in this amp sell for around $50 so it wouldn't break me to put one of them in.

One of the very nice things about Tube Amps is that you can experiment with the sound by changing the tubes in the pre amp section and the final power section. Several mods were listed documenting the change certain tubes can make in this little bad boy.

The claim is that it is a 25-watt RMS amp. For a tube amp, that is a pretty moderate rating but compares to power listing of twice that in Solid State Amps.

BUT IT IS A TUBE AMP! Not a hybrid with tube in the preamp section and solid state for the final! There is a picture of the amp at the end of this post after the review.

Product: Johnson JA-T25-R Loredo Combo
    Price Paid: USD 199
    Submitted 09/08/2007 at 02:20pm by Layne

Features : 10

This is Johnson's first tube amp and what a tube amp! I was looking to buy a Peavey Delta Blues or Classic 30 till I came across this Johnson Loredo and I'm glad I did! I was very willing to pay the $277 price you can get at most places that carry this amp, but was lucky to find a demo unit on Ebay for $199 with free shipping.

Johnson's an American company, but the amp is manufactured in China to Johnson's specs.

The amp features:
    25 watts (I think that's peak watts. It's more like 15 watts continuous I believe)
    2 - Sovtek 12AX7-WA preamp tubes (with tube retainers!)
    2 - Electro Harmonix EL-84 power tubes (with tube retainer!)
    10" Alphatone speaker
    Accutronics spring reverb (3 springs I think)
    Approx. 25 lbs.
    Approx. 1/2" thick chipboard cabinet
    Metal corner bracket protectors.
    Dark brown tolex
    Tan speaker grill cloth
    Plastic carry strap
    Rubber feet

The front panel left to right goes:
    1/4" input jack
    Gain knob
    Bass tone knob
    Middle tone knob
    Treble tone knob
    Reverb knob
    Master knob
    1/4" footswitch jack for reverb
    Red power light
    Stand-by swtich
    Power switch

Back panel features left to right:
    Fuse socket
    IEC type power cord socket
    Wet/Dry control knob
    1/4" effects loop in
    1/4" effects loop out
    1/4" external speaker out

I was surprised to find when I got this amp that the control knobs are made of knurled metal and not plastic. The power/stand by switches are metal Switchcraft type toggle swtiches too. This lends a nice solid feel to the amp. The only thing that cheapens the amp is the plastic carry strap but that's no big deal. It can always be replaced with a leather or wooden handle. I love the vintage look and feel of this amp. In fact, a friend of mine asked if it was vintage. Cool. The workmanship on this amp is excellent. Switches are solid and knobs are smooth.

This amp is pretty versatile. It's a great practice amp that's not too heavy to carry around. It's loud enough for small gigs too. I don't miss a gain channel has I have an overdrive pedal. In fact, I prefer this setup. I'd rather save money not having an additional channel or two and adding what effects pedals I want to the effects loop. This amp can go from clean Jazz to Country to Heavy Metal.

The one thing that the more expensive Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Blues/Pro Jr. lack that this amp has is a stand-by switch. That's a feature I think all tube amps in this power class and above should have.

Sound Quality : 10

Okay, I've held off writing this review till I had some time with this amp and made some mods. This amp was a demo unit before I got it so the speaker and tubes were well broken in before I got it. I do think most people write reviews too soon before the speaker and tubes have a chance to break in.

Out of the box this amp sounds very good clean and at lower volumes. With the master turned all the way up and the guitar volume all the way up this amp can get very very loud. I'd say as loud as a 50 watt solid state amp.

After having the amp for some time I've made two recent mods. First mod was to change out the two stock Sovtek 12AX7-WA preamp tubes with Tung Sol reissues. The Tung Sol tubes are much quieter (hum), smoother, have more gain, have more detail and are slightly darker than the Sovteks. I love these Tung Sol 12AX7s! Actually I'd describe the Sovteks as slightly bright and the Tung Sols as more neutral in tone. Also, not mentioned much but of significant importance, is that the Johnson comes with tube retainers to reduce/minimize microphonics. A small detail that makes a significant difference in sound, that doesn't cost much, which a lot of amps in this price range and above lack!! It's really a no-brainer...any combo amp in this power range and that mount their tubes upside down should especially have retainers.

The second mod was to change out the speaker. The stock Alphatone speaker is okay for practice and such. It has a chimey, reedy tone which is nice, but it does lack a bit in the bass. With the amp cranked all the way up the speaker gets a bit muddy. Detail is also not too good in that the reverb doesn't sound like it should. I just installed a 10" Weber Vintage Series 10F150-T-8 25 watt speaker with light dope as recommended by Ted Weber himself. I emailed him requesting a speaker with good tone balance from top to bottom. WOW! The amp now has balls and guts!! The Weber's magnet is easily twice as big as the Alphatone's. Beware when installing this speaker as the entire metal basket is magnetized and can attract your metal tools causing you to accidentally ding, or worse, punch a hole in the speaker cone if you're not careful! I almost did this...twice! doh. This Weber speaker rocks. The amp is louder, has more bass without giving up nice treble, and with more detail. Overdrive has a creamier texture and the reverb sounds really really good now.

I figure even if I paid the full selling price dealers are asking for this amp (around $277 - $300) with these two mods (at around $150) I've got a better amp than a Fender Blues/Pro Jr. or Peavey Classic 30 that has more/better features and great tone.

Also, I bought a Johnson 1 - button footswitch for around $10 on Ebay for the reverb. Any generic 1 - button footswitch will work. Would be nice if Johnson included this, but it's no big deal. Other amp amnufacturers charge more for their's.

Reliability : 10

This amp is built really well and should last a long time if you take care of it like anything else. The toggle switches are solid. I like the metal knobs. They won't crack or break like plastic ones could. The only thing that worries me is the plastic carry strap. I'll change that out for a leather one or maybe make a nice wooden one myself. Other than that this amp should hold up well.

Customer Support : No Opinion

I haven't needed to contact Johnson so far. The amp has a 5 year warranty.

Overall Rating : 10

Johnson has a winner on their hands and this amp is a keeper. Stock, they made a really nice sleeper of an amp and with the simple mods I made I have a KILLER sleeper amp. It's a great starter amp for practice and small venues. If you need more volume just run a line out or mic it.

If it were lost or stolen I'd get another easily. Heck, at this price you could buy two and run a stereo set up without breaking the bank.

MikeA

Default Miles' Gear

Back to reality....Instead of showing what I WANT, I'll show you what Miles ended up with. He'd been playing Ukeleles since they were small enough for him. But he's growing and it was high time he had his own gitter! He still doesn't have the "holding" of it down pat but loves to play it! I could have just gotten a stand for him, but thought that the wall hanger would work better...I think I was right. What amazed me was that after I told him to always put his pick back in the window seal, he was anal about it! He still hasn't lost that pick!
    Attached Images Attached Images

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very cute, Mike - looks like a budding Joe Walsh to me!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Very cute, Mike - looks like a budding Joe Walsh to me!
    That's funny! Yesterday, Miles was making lots of noise on the little ax but was strumming with an "up stroke" and was hitting the unprotected wood instead of the pickguard. He KNOWS who Joe Walsh is! So I told him that he needed to strum DOWN from the bass "E" to the high "e" instead of striking the high "e" first because that's the way Joe Walsh plays!

What did he say? "Grandpa, I'm not Joe Walsh, I'm Miles!"

I shut up and let him play it HIS WAY

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

You've been told Grandpa!
    He sings it high, he plays it low