Page 88 of 109 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    That was on one of the Joe Walsh Instructional Videos that I have on VHS. It is a very subtle nuance.
    It has to be the B string. Because he bends up the G, picks the B, and releases the G. That's the way I've always seen him do it.. And I just watched a Youtube video and it looks like it's the B he is using his finger on..... I've been playing all of the notes dead on but I'll have to use my finger instead of the pick to catch the B.

"B" string sounds right for the pluck. It's not a very exaggerated note...more an accent of very short duration. But Joe was emphatic about it and spent more time in the video talking about that little nuance than anything else on the video. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again if I can find a VHS player somewhere.

MikeA

"B" string sounds right for the pluck. It's not a very exaggerated note...more an accent of very short duration. But Joe was emphatic about it and spent more time in the video talking about that little nuance than anything else on the video. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again if I can find a VHS player somewhere.
    No it's not exaggerated at all. You barely pick it. You kind of "Mute" it with your palm. Just a quick pick and then hurry up and release the G. Then into that Funk chording.

Yo Mike did any of those instructional videos make it out on DVD???? I don't have a VHS player lol. I'd like to see Walsh talking about the songs. What other songs does he show?!

Can't remember the answers to any of those questions Austin.

I have the one on VHS that we were looking at on YouTube a while back of him showing how to go through the motions of tweaking the truss rod. And that one that I just was talking about. I think maybe those are the only two I have. You might look a the instructional videos that places like Musicians Friend have. It might still be offered there. Looked like it might have been in the 80's when he made them.

MikeA

Interesting (and EXPENSIVE) problem! Our electricity bill has doubled this year from this same time last year. I'm talking "usage" and not just money so increased costs of electricity do not pertain to the problem.

We've tried everything that is plugged in...watching the meter run while shutting down various appliances one at a time.

Guess what:

The problem seems to be MY PERSONAL DESKTOP COMPUTER! There was a visible change in the speed the electricity meter outside was spinning when I shut my computer down!

It's been running "hot" for a couple of years. I've been monitoring the board and disk temps with some software I have. As a result, I robbed an old computer of its fans and added two of them to my antique case and that helped bring the temps down but they are still way up there.

I'm not quite financially ready to finance a new build (around $700 for the new build) so am going to try to cool the old beast by taking the side covers off of it. I'll remove the fans too but I'm afraid that when I do this, I'll lose the mobo or components on it. The disk drives scare me the most. I just have too much "data" such as music and photos that I just can't afford to lose. But I have no where to back them up! I'm totally maxed out on disk space on every computer on my network <LOL>

MikeA

Follow-up on the computer:

I've completely shut it down. The MOBO temps were continuing to climb way over the previous marks set when I ran a stress test on it. I use Prime95 and really generate the heat with it. But the marks are much higher (10 to 15 degrees C) over what they were 6 months ago.

So I'm killing the Desktop for now and will watch the electricity usage over the next couple of weeks. If it drops significantly, then no matter about the finances, I'll HAVE to get another desktop put together. I may have to alter my mobo requirements and get one that has at least one IEEE port on it to plug in my old dinosaur drives into to copy them. I sure don't want to fry one of those drives before I salvage the data off of them!

I moved my notebook downstairs and hardwired it into the network rather than using wireless. Thank God it's still running okay! But I sure miss my tunes. They are all over on the Desktop. I have reduced size photos all loaded up on my photo website so I won't completely lose them.

But all that MUSIC!

And I can't record now! Amps are still working though so I can make just as much noise!

MikeA

Hate to be the bearer of bad news Mike but it sounds like that Mobo is going to bite the dust....I'd be trying to get a build underway as soon as it's financially feasible.

I'm on the same page with you Austin. Got it shut completely down now and will fire it up only one more time after I get a new build completed. That will occur only so that I can retrieve the data off the old disk drives (I have 3 of them!) two 60gb and one 40gb. They are maxed!

MikeA

I'm on the same page with you Austin. Got it shut completely down now and will fire it up only one more time after I get a new build completed. That will occur only so that I can retrieve the data off the old disk drives (I have 3 of them!) two 60gb and one 40gb. They are maxed!
    Yeah I wouldn't run it again. I'd wait until your build is done and turn it on just long enough to retrieve your data and then I'd take the hard drive out of the old one and get rid of the old tower.