Default Re: Gearhead

Yup, That's my plan Austin.

MikeA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Yup, That's my plan Austin.
    Good deal.

I've been playing "Funk #49" with the little finger part and while it sounds pretty much the same, it does feel more "correct" to me and seems to go well.

I've also been practicing learning slide guitar in Open E tuning. My first song I'm working on of course is "Rocky Mountain Way".

Which guitar are you using for your slide work? Have you loaded it up with heavier strings and raised the action any?

MikeA

Which guitar are you using for your slide work? Have you loaded it up with heavier strings and raised the action any?
    The Gibson SG with the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. And yes I definitely raised the action A LOT. I'm still using 10s on it though as I think to use 11s I'd have to get the nut slots widened and I dunno if this will be my permanent slide guitar or not.

I've tried glass, brass, steel, and ceramic/porcelain and keep coming back to the ceramic/porcelain Dunlop Joe Perry "Boneyard" signature slide. I love it the most. But I have one of each. I want to get a couple more porcelain slides. I'd like to get the Keb Mo slide and Billy Gibbons slide. And also the Derek Trucks Corcicidin Blues Bottle Glass Slide. All of my slides are from Dunlop. I love that company.

Also Mike I was going to mention that when you get your new tower built you ought to get a Firewire 800 card. It's a really fast interface and you could get an external drive to store your recordings on.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The Gibson SG with the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. And yes I definitely raised the action A LOT. I'm still using 10s on it though as I think to use 11s I'd have to get the nut slots widened and I dunno if this will be my permanent slide guitar or not.

I've tried glass, brass, steel, and ceramic/porcelain and keep coming back to the ceramic/porcelain Dunlop Joe Perry "Boneyard" signature slide. I love it the most. But I have one of each. I want to get a couple more porcelain slides. I'd like to get the Keb Mo slide and Billy Gibbons slide. And also the Derek Trucks Corcicidin Blues Bottle Glass Slide. All of my slides are from Dunlop. I love that company.
    I really didn't like the Corcicidin slide that much. The end is capped and it won't fit as far down on my finger as I prefer. Also, since the bottle has a neck, the interior is larger and it feels really loose on my finger.

I prefer the pyrex thickwalled slides myself. But then, I really don't play slide. Never got the hang of it.

You shouldn't have to change strings. It will probably sound different and I think better though if you do. However, during those passages where you wish to play the slide "normally", you'll have a lot more trouble with the high action HEAVY string when you try to press a fret. Trade-off. I believe Joe does use heavier strings but he doesn't do as much "fingering" when he plays slide as a lot of slide players use.

MikeA

Since I've got my notebook screen and I have that 19" widescreen from my desktop that wasn't in use, I set the widescreen up as a second monitor to be an extension of my notebook's display.

Sort of neat. I can drag a "Border" tab off the notebook display and drop it over on the wide screen and then switch to the eMail tab on the notebook and watch both simultaneously without having to switch tabs.,

I could get used to that!

MikeA

Austin,

Talk to me about:

Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

This InTel chip costs about the same as a AMD quad-core phenom 955. The specs on the chip aren't bad and I'm quite sure that it would meet all my needs.

However, I am not sure I understand. I see talk about "graphics" on the chip. Does that mean that with that chip you need no "on board video" on the mobo nor do you need a graphics card?

I know very little about Sandybridge and Clarkdale and all those other slang terms used by the users of Intel chips.

MikeA

Austin,

Talk to me about:

Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

This InTel chip costs about the same as a AMD quad-core phenom 955. The specs on the chip aren't bad and I'm quite sure that it would meet all my needs.

However, I am not sure I understand. I see talk about "graphics" on the chip. Does that mean that with that chip you need no "on board video" on the mobo nor do you need a graphics card?

I know very little about Sandybridge and Clarkdale and all those other slang terms used by the users of Intel chips.
    Looks like a GREAT one Mike.

As far as the graphics - I'm not sure but I would still get a video card.. I like NVidia myself.