Page 95 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearhead

Default Re: Gearhead

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    I'm fine Austin...just burried in work. Our staff has been cut pretty radically and we've brought on three new clients (one being a rather large Automobile Manufacturer). Those of us left are having to really pick up a lot of slack and it doesn't leave me much time to get out on the Internet and play. Bummer too with the new computer screaming to be used!

I think it was in "Crossfire" that I read that SRV used really heavy gauge strings on his ole beat up Strat. In more than one instance, he literally cut the callouses of the tips of the fingers on his left hand and once in Fort Worth, sent a roadie to a drug store to buy Superglue to glue the ends of his fingers back on so he could finish his gig. You wouldn't do that with lightweight strings. But SRV would play most all night in the clubs and then go to school and sleep during classes. Einstein he wasn't, but he sure could make a guitar sing!
    Glad to hear you are doing ok Mike!

SRV is my favorite Strat guy... I love his playing and tone he got. He was a monster player. Used 13s and what not tuned to Eflat. He had a LOT of strength and energy, that's for sure.

A photo I shot with the PRS Custom 24 10-Top this morning.... I love this guitar! So versatile and plays like a dream. Sounds pretty good too!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's another reason! Guitars are females - that's just my thoughts on it! Amps ROAR and are gnarly and masculine.
    I had to get in on this discussion! So, do ya think a female guitar player names her guitars guy names!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I had to get in on this discussion! So, do ya think a female guitar player names her guitars guy names!
    Not sure.

PM, just so you don't think I'm crazy for my guitar names or think I am the only one, I tried to compile a list of some famous guitarists who have named their guitars female names after forming a bond with that particular guitar.

BB King - Lucille
    Billy Gibbons - Pearly
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - First Wife
    Eric Clapton - Blackie
    Gary Rossington - Bernice
    Joe Perry - Billie

But really the female association is due to the fact that a guitar has curves, is GREAT to look at and is beautiful, and let's face it - most guys don't like the thought of something that is a "guy" being right up against them or in their lap all the time. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I much prefer females. Now, I have heard of female guitarists naming their guitars after guys and there are some guys who name their guitars with male names but generally speaking most guys who name their guitars use a female name. Just look around on guitar forums. You'll find out! Another reason is that for a lot of guys, their #1 guitar is like their wife or soulmate and is always there for them and so that's another reason. I know my Ruby is definitely my "musical" soulmate and always will be. I never get tired of playing or looking at "her" and always feel right back at home when I pick her up. Sorry for getting sappy, but a lot of guys have a deep emotional bond with their #1 guitar. Ruby will be buried with me. I've already given instructions. BB King and Lucille is a perfect example of that. Ruby is the one I would grab in the event of a fire. Ruby is the one that always puts a smile on my face out of all of my guitars. I would live in a shoebox before I'd even consider selling her. I would live in an empty house. She's the one that's always there for me no matter what. She will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. We are "one". Soulmates for life!
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 06-14-2011 at 05:20 AM.

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

........and not forgetting Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger"
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Quote Originally Posted by tequila girl View Post
    ........and not forgetting Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger"
    His is one of the exceptions. It's just that 95 percent of guitarists who name their guitar choose a female name.... Just like Glenn with Old Black, that's the only other exception I can think of. But that name could actually be female. So it's hard to say. But generally speaking, guys name their guitars with female names and that's the way it's been since the early days.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great explanation Austin! Now I get it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Great explanation Austin! Now I get it!

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    But really the female association is due to the fact that a guitar has curves, is GREAT to look at and is beautiful, and let's face it - most guys don't like the thought of something that is a "guy" being right up against them or in their lap all the time. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I much prefer females. Now, I have heard of female guitarists naming their guitars after guys and there are some guys who name their guitars with male names but generally speaking most guys who name their guitars use a female name. Just look around on guitar forums. You'll find out! Another reason is that for a lot of guys, their #1 guitar is like their wife or soulmate and is always there for them and so that's another reason. I know my Ruby is definitely my "musical" soulmate and always will be. I never get tired of playing or looking at "her" and always feel right back at home when I pick her up. Sorry for getting sappy, but a lot of guys have a deep emotional bond with their #1 guitar. Ruby will be buried with me. I've already given instructions. BB King and Lucille is a perfect example of that. Ruby is the one I would grab in the event of a fire. Ruby is the one that always puts a smile on my face out of all of my guitars. I would live in a shoebox before I'd even consider selling her. I would live in an empty house. She's the one that's always there for me no matter what. She will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. We are "one". Soulmates for life!

Put these thoughts into a song. We know you can play it. Can you write it? I bet you could & it'd be a hit. Something along the lines of Michael McDonald's "You belong to me".