Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Songs Glenn has never performed live

Default Re: Songs Glenn has never performed live

However, I do love your idea about the all request nights at Rama!
    Now that really would be something!

~~~

This way to happiness...

I don't know how much he likes to use his high voice in concert though, because I'm assuming that gets hard after awhile, though I love it in YBTTC. I'm also not sure how well it would translate to live.
    Since you're new to the discussion, I'm happy to give my opinion though others have heard it before and not all agree. I will be frank. I think the falsetto live is done because it is easier to do high notes that way. I think Glenn is no longer confident that he can consistently reach those high notes in his "regular" voice. I know he CAN do it, but apparently he's been a tad off enough times to make him hesistant, and therefore he decides to go for the "safe" falsetto route which he can more consistently hit. Unfortunately, he's even timid on that, and so we have dissatisfactory results (IMHO). Perhaps it is deliberate to add some kind of "mood," but to the average layperson, it sounds like the same cop-out some of us use every time we sing the Star-Spangled Banner at baseball games when the notes get high. It was criticized in more than one review. I believe that's why it was dropped from the Eagles shows.

I don't presume to have a vast amount of knowledge about such things, but I remember Glenn stating once that he had lowered Take It to the Limit to a key where he could hit all the notes consistently, since he obviously doesn't have Randy's high range. It seems to me that such a solution could be applied to You Belong to the City.

Regardless, I'm almost certain he will perform the song in Rama - it was his biggest hit along with The Heat Is On, and indeed the biggest hit any solo Eagle ever had. So you should get to hear You Belong to the Sea again. For me, it will be the first time I have ever seen him perform it live, and I'm very excited about it even if the falsetto is retained. That is one terrific song.

~

Stuck on the Border

But really, the only part of YBTTC that is sung in falsetto is the second verse. And yet again I will defend it because it has an 'edge' to it. It's taut.

People know by now that I like the falsetto and I can't say why, on any rational basis. I just like it when he sings high. I don't want him to sing this way all the time (the way it was totally overused by Barry Gibb, whose natural voice I also prefer) but I do enjoy it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I will say this - even though I'm not a fan of the falsetto voice, I saw the Eagles do YBTTC in Hampton last March before it got dropped and it kicked butt. The song was awesome live and I'm sure the majority of the audience probably didn't even notice the falsetto voice. The audience loved it, and it got one of the loudest responses of the entire show.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...