Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder Interviews and promotions

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Felder Interviews and promotions

What bothers me about this is this article, and I've seen several like it, these people are so very obviously trying to cause trouble. Stir the pot, if you will. I will say that while Felder's constant digs at Glenn annoy me to no end, he seriously could have been a lot worse. He could have played along with these guys to their fullest wishes.

What was the point of this article? Why now? His new album is several months old, he is planning on touring but he has no dates announced. Yet he's been out and about at several locations talking on radio and getting interviewed for print media. All of these people are merely using him to get a good sound bite. The documentary was open and honest and while it missed some things due to time or didn't put enough focus on certain things according to certain people (it depends on who you talk to on what that is), but apparently it wasn't hateful enough for the media's liking. So they are out there stirring the pot, trying to poke and poke until one of these guys says something stupid by saying the wrong thing in the wrong way at the wrong time. Obviously, Felder is the only one really talking to the media. Randy isn't really up to it, Bernie is keeping quiet. Joe and Timothy have said little to nothing. I don't think Don's been interviewed since the movie came out on Showtime, and Glenn has only done interviews Down Under and has only answered one or two questions about it. Are the others just not being asked for interviews? Or is Felder the only one granting interviews and the rest are declining? I realize this is a good opportunity for him to be out there talking up his album, especially as he plans on touring this year. I guess he's used to the media being such slime and figures he might as well take advantage of it, but I'd be insulted to know I'm only being asked to do an interview in the hopes I screw up royally.

Assuming Henley ever actually releases his new album and tours for it, I'm sure he'll get asked and asked about the documentary and the past and since they'll want to sell some of the things, he'll have to answer at least some questions on it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

You know that whenever Felder is interviewed he is asked about the Eagles. so with the DVD coming out, I guess that is why they will interview him once again... They do ask about his album, but they will ALWAYS ask about the Eagles. They love to stir up the pot or try to get some dirt for their articles to make them more juicy....This is journalism these days....I guess we can expect more of the same...Yes, they do try to cause trouble. Maybe it will spark more interest in the DVD, who knows, but I guess that is the point of him getting all these interviews...to get his take on it, as it is part of the Eagles story.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I would agree with VA - it's not a good idea to post large portions of interviews or articles on the board even if you give credit. It's fine to quote a small exerpt, but not any more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    When he says, "reaching out" he means with a phone call or possibly an email is the way it seemed to me. I don't see him saying one word about Glenn, so I don't get where that is coming from. If he would reach out & call anyone, it would probably be Joe. I doubt he would contact Glenn. I have seen & heard most of his interviews & as far as what I've seen he does not mention Glenn. Things are not likely to change.
    The thing is Felder has said repeatedly that he has tried to 'reach out' to his former bandmates, but all he gets are letters from lawyers. So like, FP, I wonder how and to whom he is 'reaching out'. If he is getting letters from lawyers, I assume he means he is 'reaching out' to Henley and/or Frey, which begs the question "Why"?. There's no way to know, but, the inconsistencies in his accounts are pretty obvious. TK, you can pick out pieces of interviews and quibble over what his intentions are, but, anyone that has listened to and read the collective body of his interviews and his book, and believes he doesn't diss Glenn has very selective memory on the matter.

And as far as the salacious journalism, that's an easy fix - he can either decline the interview or, at least, decline to answer certain questions. He talks about it because he wants to, plain and simple.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Va Has a point.
    The only one they can get for an interview is Felder. Think about that.
    Bernie knows to keep his mouth shut...he wants tobe part of the big tour I am sure,,,,RM isnt up to it from all I read about him.....GF is only talking about after hours and his recent tour... DH well the man just marches to beat of his own drummer....(no pun intend)
    I agree with VA ..well said
    Last edited by Tiffanny Twisted; 03-16-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Well, in my opinion, the existing Eagles need to be careful here. When the DVD is available for sale in a month and a half, do they really want Felder to be the only one out there talking about it? I realize that the media he's interviewing with aren't 'mainstream' and only reach a small number of people, but if he keeps this up, he'll have a large number of people hearing his take on the documentary just through sheer volume.
    VK

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Va,
    Dont you think as it gets closer to release date, DH and GF might say something about it??
    I"d think they would have too
    (MAybe not if they look at the shear volume of people pre ordering the dvd)
    I mean a smart person who was a true fan of the band would have to take a look at whose talking and whose not an consider the source.

Suite 101 asked Felder leading questions designed to get him to criticize the band.

For instance: "Suite 101: I've heard that, these days, the supposedly improvised 'banter' with the audience is actually scripted. Is that true?" Then, later, Suite 101 answers its own question with the "Plaintiff" joke.

So, obviously, they knew the Eagles have scripted banter and didn't need to ask. They just wanted to bait Felder and encourage him to take digs. Sadly, Felder played into it, although even so I don't think he gave Suite 101 what they really wanted, which was a full-on diss-fest.

You can't say that about TGFY, though. Felder initiated that dig all by himself. What he said in this interview is tame compared to how he rags on the song in its book. There, he presents Glenn as an object of mockery for even attempting a country song like that.

Correction about TITTL: I have been to many shows and seen Glenn's version get ovations. It doesn't happen every time, but it's happened at several shows I've been to. I remember one show especially where it got such an extended ovation that he seemed a little embarrassed. I think it was Louisville 2010 although I'm not positive.

I'm not saying it's necessarily better than Randy's version, but it still holds a great deal of power and I love it. So do most of the members of the audience.... so I'm not sure why Felder felt the need to bring up that comparison. He wasn't asked about that in particular.

On a more positive note, I'm glad Felder's new material is well-received. I think the songs he's doing are well-chosen and I'm eager to hear them done live.

P.S. I prefer Whitney's version too, but Felder's analogy is problematic, since Dolly was the original and he's saying in the case of Randy that the original is better!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

At Glenn's show in Town Hall, people stood as soon as he started singing TITTL and everyone sang along. If you'll read my review of the show again, when I say I've never seen an audience and a performer so completely in tune with each other, it was mostly the moment at the end of this song that I meant. Most of the concert was that way, but the end of that song was a real moment for everyone in the building. He sang it with such fervor it was incredible. Everyone was already standing and so it wasn't an 'official' standing ovation, but the applause went on for a long time and I was close enough to see Glenn's reaction. Now after I've rambled on for forever, I'll just say that while the high notes are missing, it just means that everyone finds it easier to sing along.

ITA about Suite 101 leading him into questions designed to get him to say what they wanted him to say. It's what I was trying to say in my previous post. They all do it to some extent, but these guys weren't even subtle.

TT, I think that DH will at least do some interviews, assuming he gets his album out soon, he can do both at the same time. Glenn's been talking it up for nearly a year now, but now that it's out, or soon will be, I'm hoping he does more interviews, too. Perhaps even a few shows.

As for Felder, I keep thinking that soon he's going to announce some tour dates.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanny Twisted View Post
    Va,
    Dont you think as it gets closer to release date, DH and GF might say something about it??
    I"d think they would have too
    (MAybe not if they look at the shear volume of people pre ordering the dvd)
    I mean a smart person who was a true fan of the band would have to take a look at whose talking and whose not an consider the source.
    They talked about it at Sundance. Why would they say anything more about it? They will probably say more of the same when they promote it again in London.

Glenn didn't do much media in Australia, but it wasn't mentioned once. I get the feeling they think it is in the past already.

As for people believing Felder's version a lot of people including a couple on this board instantly decided that his version was correct. A lot of people claimed to be horrified by what Glenn said & villified him. That's already happened.

TITTL wasn't a big highlight at the Australian shows, I have to say, at least not for me. I was too overwhelmed by the previous songs.

And quite frankly, and this is particularly gratifying for me, the fact that TFGY has been resurrected after so long was a very proud & poignant moment. There are better songs. There are also many which are a lot worse, including ones the Eagles persisted with after they dropped TGFY. I speak of LWKUA, of course. My opinion.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-16-2013 at 09:37 PM.

In one recent interview when Glenn was asked about the situation with Felder he said that all he would say is that "Heaven & Hell" contained many "inaccuracies".