Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ringo Starr No Longer Accepting Fan Mail

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Joe guests on album with Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney

I think you are being overly harsh. If Ringo doesn't want to accept fan mail that is his choice. To say that you no longer admire him just because of that is going too far, in my opinion. You don't know his reasons for this.

True, but he doesn't need to throw his fanmail away. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Well, FP, EL said she admired Ringo because of his sense of humor. She did not concern herself with his musical abilities or history as a Beatle. Therefore, it's unsurprising that she's no longer a fan when he comes off as so humorless.

As for me, I still admire the Beatles - who doesn't? - but I think a lot less of Ringo Starr as a man. JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Once Again, Sorry if I offended anyone with my opinion. I admire his musical ability, but still he shouldn't throw away his fanmail.

Most people who like Ringo best like him for his personality, it's not as if he's the world's best singer, drummer, or songwriter. His charm was his main appeal, if he loses that, the only thing he has going for him is that he used to be a Beatle.

Stuck on the Border

Well, put it this way. I can understand why you reacted that way. It does make him look a bit uncaring, I suppose. It's hard to get past the aura of him being a Beatle. But then Sir Paul hasn't exactly covered himself in glory in recent times either with his sad second marriage.

You're right about that.

A video like that creates a visceral negative reaction in the heart of anyone who's written a fan letter. He should not be surprised that he's getting bad press for the video, or that people perceive him as uncaring. If he thought he could avoid that by saying "peace and love" a few times, he's finding out differently.

Look, I'm sure he's a great guy to hang out with and a good friend to Joe. But good to his fans? Not so much, if this is any indication.

BTW here's the link to his home page if you want to see the video for yourself:

http://www.ringostarr.com/home.php

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So, yes, it was honest of Ringo to warn his fans... but the fact that he throws away the fan mail still makes him a prize jerk in my book, warning or no.
    I may be a cynic, but I would not be surprised if a lot of fan mail 'out there' gets thrown away. Of course nobody's going to actually come out and say that (except for Ringo)...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

You're right, PM, probably a lot of it does get thrown away. But to throw it in people's faces like this... I mean, he really went about this in a very poor fashion. In a much gentler tone, he could have said something like...

"Dear fans - I want you to know that I am grateful for your support over the years and I appreciate you. Unfortunately, I have become overwhelmed and will not be able to read any fan mail received after Oct. 20. I wish I could, but it's simply become too much. Thank you anyway; your continued loyalty means a lot to me.

Peace and love."

Instead he sounded angry and annoyed; his repeated "peace and love" lines sounded perfunctory and, considering the context, insincere. Throwing in the line about "tossing" the fan mail was an especially bad move. He came across as completely insensitive. Doesn't the man have PR people?

Leaves a bad taste in a lot of folks' mouths. Let's just say if I had been one of the many people who wrote to Ringo Starr in order to tell him how much the Beatles' music had changed my life, I'd be feeling pretty crappy right now.

ETA: Found this parody on YouTube by BeatleBabe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEOSoCScyhY
    lol!