Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Hubby's Away

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: When Hubby's Away

My husband is away for work a lot during the construction season. But then is usually laid off during the winter months and is home a lot, so as much as I miss him when he is away, I do enjoy the alone time and doing what I want, when I want. And when he is home I usually cook our meals, so it's nice to eat the ready mades some. I'm kind of a loner, so I do enjoy being by myself. But, I'm also glad to see him when he gets home.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Brooke, what's your husband doing for work?
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border

My hubby travels a lot and always has. In fact, he's heading back to Germany next week and will miss our anniversary. I used to cry when he left and miss him terribly, but now I find I actually look forward to the alone time. Gosh, that sounds terrible -but it's kind of true.

It was certainly more difficult when the kids were small. Now they're both grown men and pitch in with what needs to be done when Dad is away.

The boys and I usually go out for dinner at least one night while Steve's away. I clean the house and it stays clean. I have the entire bed to myself, etc......I like it! I know it's tough for Steve to be away, and he usually calls me every night he's gone.

When I went to Pebble Beach last February, the tables were turned on Steve and the ladies that I was with can tell you, hubby called often and missed me a lot! And wow, was he attentive when I got back! I know now I need to go away more often!

We're such an old married couple! We have a running joke that Steve likes to tell people...I'm allowed to have my boyfriend over when Steve is gone, but he has to replace any of Steve's beer that he may drink before Steve gets home.

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I also enjoy it when hubby is away (he's just informed me he is out of town for a bit next month). Like everyone else I become lax on fixing a meal, just turn things down a notch in general. The kids enjoy it too as I am a bit of a softie compared to Dad - bad Mom

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Henley View Post
    Brooke, what's your husband doing for work?
    He is a carpenter. He works on bridges and overpasses during the summer and does easier stuff like homes or remodeling during his off time.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    I used to cry when he left and miss him terribly, but now I find I actually look forward to the alone time. Gosh, that sounds terrible -but it's kind of true.
    See, I'm sensing a pattern of guilt here. Actually I'm glad I started this thread - so many of us feel the same way.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We are married 11 years and with each other nearly 18. He joined his current job the same week we started dating so the shift work has always been part of our lives. I guess I don't even notice it. On my evenings alone after the kids have sone to bed I tend to come on here and if I know Laura is asleep I put on one of my Eagles or Glenn dvds and drool over Glenn . Days when he is working I have to pretend that I spent the morning while the kids are in school doing 'housewifely' things. Of course you all know exactly what I am doing!! LoL!!

And when he is working all night, well a certain other man sings me to sleep as only he can!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    See, I'm sensing a pattern of guilt here. Actually I'm glad I started this thread - so many of us feel the same way.
    Oh, Gosh, no guilt for me! Just kind of astonishment of how things change over the years. I've been married an awful long time. I suppose it's a normal progression. He's been gone so much over the years, it's just a way of life that I've learned to deal with.

My words probably seem harsh, though, to someone who's more of a newlywed or doesn't have a hubby who travels.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

No I understand you entirely Molly! A riend of mine had a hubby in the Army and they frequently did 6 month tours of Duty in the peace keeping forces in the Lebanon. She's be sorry saying goodbye to him but admitted that by the time he returned 6 months later she would have to adjust to him being around again!!

I know people too who would feel very nervous if their SO was away even for a night.

I guess its 'horses for courses' and most couples develop a routine that suits them.

PS Hubby is on overtime tonight!! So it was frozen Pizza, tho I tend to augment them with extra pineapple, sweet corn, cheese and tomato, as on their own they can be a bit basic!!

Thats what has given me bonus time here!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I sometimes worry that I've gotten so accustomed to living alone and doing whatever I want to, whenever I want to, that I'll have a REALLY hard time adapting if I ever get married.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten