Page 152 of 156 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156 LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I read this when you first posted, CA, but, I forgot to comment. Glad the thread was revived and triggered my memory. I really enjoyed reading this too, especially the last part ...

"Glenn Frey was why I loved the Eagles, he was one of the reasons I wanted to play music, and most importantly, he made it seem like something I could do. I could never be John Lennon, but as stupid as it sounds—and trust me, even then, I knew how idiotic it was—that young version of me felt like I could be Glenn Frey, or at least a version of him. For about three years, I was, too.

And to this day, every time I play that funky D chord, I think of him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Frey."

That's a very lovely tribute - I bet Glenn would love it.
    Yes I think more than any formal accolades this is the way he would love to be remembered, by someone watching him do what he loved best, appreciating it and then applying it to his own music
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    https://superiorshit.blogspot.com/20...test-tour.html

Rock's latest tour gimmick is Member Swapping!

After all, those lovable Eagles have continued on without Glenn Frey despite Don Henley's claims that they were done. Once your accountant leaves you a couple anxious messages about having to "move some shit around", suddenly you realize that the show must go on.

So, once we're past the "sacrilege", which we are, why not hire someone with some name recognition to sing Glenn's parts and put some more asses in those stadium seats before the band gets downgraded to theatre act?
    I LOVE this.

I couldn't agree more with him. It's such bull$hit that they are still doing this. Ugh. The line about the accountant is oh so true. If money isn't the root of all evil, it has to be up there on the list of what is!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Came across this blog post/article this afternoon (what? it isn't morning anymore? that's what happens when I sleep in), and I really enjoyed reading it. Thought some of you might, too.

https://www.usrepresented.com/2016/0...to-glenn-frey/
    And I LOVE this too...

That "funky D chord" with an F sharp is in sooooo many songs. As a side note, many people play the intro to AC/DC's Highway To Hell wrong. The intro is basically based around three chords - A, D, and G. But the D has that F# in it and most don't pick up on it. It's essential.

Glenn was very influential.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    And I LOVE this too...

That "funky D chord" with an F sharp is in sooooo many songs. As a side note, many people play the intro to AC/DC's Highway To Hell wrong. The intro is basically based around three chords - A, D, and G. But the D has that F# in it and most don't pick up on it. It's essential.

Glenn was very influential.
    Austin, I must admit: I was thinking of you when I read this article and knew I had to share it!

Not sure if this or the “Remembering Glenn” thread is the right place to post but since this is about current news I’ll post here; if not then please move to the appropriate thread.

Anyway, in this new interview with John Beaudin, Jack Tempchin announces he is recording a new song that he wrote with Glenn in the late 80s/early 90s called “One More Time with Feeling.” He’s also recording a tribute song he wrote for Glenn “Never Had the Chance to Say Goodbye” (what a sad title). His new album is slated for release this summer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3FY-nKbMTcI

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the link Delilah - I'm really happy to hear that Jack is going to release 'Never Had the Chance to Say Goodbye'. When we had our Border Gathering in L.A. in January, 2017, Soda, Brooke, Glennsallnighter, Houston Baby, Perfect Little Sister, and I went to see Jack perform. It was just the luck of the draw that he happened to be playing that show in L.A. when we were there. We all had a chance to talk with him for a little while after the show and he was very gracious. He played the song that night and, of course, we were all extremely moved by it. I'm also looking forward to hearing 'One More Time with Feeling' on the new album.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for that, Delilah. I'm really glad to hear he's releasing it, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

I was just sitting in my conference room with the cutest young couple in the world who are nervously waiting for the sellers to show-up so we can proceed with the closing of them purchasing their first home together -- and listening to them talk to each other about all their fears reminds me so much of how my husband and I were about 7 years ago when we bought our home. I just assured them I got a text from the seller's broker that they're just stuck in some Cape traffic and will be here in about 15 minutes, and they've gone into my little makeshift nursery room and are playing with my 1-year-old -- so I figured I'd jump on the Internet for a few minutes.

We're considering going to see the movie Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and I came across something that some of you might be interested in. I'm not sure if you need a subscription to the NY Times to read this story, but if you can see it, you might enjoy a passing comment the writer shared of how around 1970 Mr. Frey & J.D.Souther stopped by a hotel pool where the writer was staying while covering the Manson trial, and when they walked in some of the other famous people staying there thought he had violated the promise he had made to them to not bring any members of the Manson family to the motel. The writer states that Kris Kristofferson had contemplated jumping in the pool and swimming to the safety of the other side to escape them. If you need to pay for access, it's probably not worth it, as this is just a brief sidebar in the story. Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/m...tarantino.html

It's funny how manytimes I will read a story and it suddenly has some weird reference to Mr.Frey. I think I've mentioned these other 2 before -- but here are the links in case you missed it:

Here's a link to a story in which Game of Thrones co-creator Dan Weiss recalls being Mr. Frey's assistant and buying toilet paper for him for several weeks in 1993. I was never a big fan of this show, but my husband watched it, and I think I recall there being a character called something like Walder Frey, who was the head of House Frey. I wonder if that was a tip-of-the-hat to his former boss. Anyhow, here's a link tothe story with a small reference to him being Mr. Frey's assistant:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...eiss-interview

Back in March my husband bought me a beat-up 67 Camaro convertible when we were visiting California, which we had transported to our home & he restored to incredible condition, using this beautiful aqua color paint from that line of cars during that year for the exterior, replacing the roof with a beautiful bright white one replacing the seats with white leather-type ones from the original line of cars, as well as doing the same with the steering and panel and other areas of the car. Anyhow, he had sent me a link to a site that was selling a car just like the way he was going to restore mine on a car website -- and on that same site, it had a listing for Mr. Frey's former car -- a 2010 Bentley. It appears it is still listed, so here is a link:

http://www.chariotz.com/projectdetai...-for-sale/6443

Something that deserves a side mention here is that we've been discussing where we want to take our next couple of family trips --and when we want to take them -- as it will definitely be after I deliver our baby girl at the end of Oct. or beginning of Nov. The 2 places at the top of my husband's list are Hawaii and taking our own type of Route 66 trip -- even though the originalone doesn't exist any longer. I'm not sure either will be a great idea, as we will likely leave the baby and our1-year-old with grandma, but will likely take our 5-year-old son -- and I'm not sure there would be much in Hawaii to entertain him. Anyhow, when I was at the Cape Cod Mall recently getting my son his new Kindergarten wardrobe that he insisted consist of all Levi's -- just like his Dad's -- and he had to have charcoal colored sneakers -- I stopped by the bookstore to get a book about following a route that will let you see some of the things you once saw along Route 66.

While I was there, I noticed a book they had next to the register, and they told me that someone had special ordered it, but were 2 weeks late in picking it up, so they were justgoing to put it on the shelves -- so I bought it. It is called Two Trains Leave Paris, and it is co-written by Mr. Frey's daughter.

I had to get it because my husband and I first got to know each other on the Amtrak train --and it was during that ride that my mother mentioned how much Matt reminded her of Glenn Frey, and he sang the song Lying Eyes to her -- so I just felt I had to have the book.

But, I have to tell you that even though I have only skimmed the book thus far -- it is really a very well-written book that I have absolutely no doubt will come in handy on more than one occasion when any of our 3 children may have a math subject they may struggle with -- or especially when I need a quick refresher course in anarea of math, in order to be able to better assist my kids with their homework.

While my husband isthe wiz in all things math, which comes from his architectural & construction education -- I want to be able to sit at the kitchen table with my kids and be able to help them out when they get stuck on a trig or geometry homework lesson -- instead of telling them I forgot what I learned & they can wait until their dad gets home.

Last edited by Carolyn; 08-20-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Ask for what you want -- and be prepared to get it! ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    While I was there, I noticed a book they had next to the register, and they told me that someone had special ordered it, but were 2 weeks late in picking it up, so they were just going to put it on the shelves -- so I bought it. It is called Two Trains Leave Paris, and it is co-written by Mr. Frey's daughter.

I had to get it because my husband and I first got to know each other on the Amtrak train --and it was during that ride that my mother mentioned how much Matt reminded her of Glenn Frey, and he sang the song Lying Eyes to her -- so I just felt I had to have the book.

But, I have to tell you that even though I have only skimmed the book thus far -- it is really a very well-written book that I have absolutely no doubt will come in handy on more than one occasion when any of our 3 children may have a math subject they may struggle with -- or especially when I need a quick refresher course in an area of math, in order to be able to better assist my kids with their homework.

While my husband is the wiz in all things math, which comes from his architectural &construction education -- I want to be able to sit at the kitchen table with my kids and be able to help them out when they get stuck on a trig or geometry homework lesson -- instead of telling them I forgot what I learned & they can wait until their dad gets home.
    I adore Two Trains Leave Paris. Yes, I'm the person who sits and does algebra for fun. And, yes, I wish I'd had that book almost 40 years ago during Calculus 3. It is well written and a lot of fun to read.

In case no one has run across it yet, Jack Tempchin has recorded a version of one of the last songs he and Glenn wrote together, "One More Time with Feeling", and you can hear Glenn all over it (in spirit, obviously). https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/j...eling-listen/?