Page 149 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Something people might not realize - Glenn lends backing vocals to her beautiful song "If He's Ever Near":

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I did not know Glenn Frey helped with backing vocals on this song.

FWIW -- If if you haven't heard it before or it's been awhile since you last heard it, I strongly recommend checking out the song on the you tube link from Soda.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Please could someone post the relevant extract from that interview?

An unfortunate by-product of tighter EU data protection rules is that many american news sites just block access from EU countries rather than address the issue.

The parts of the article relating to Glenn:

"It’s fitting that [Karla Bonoff] a woman who wrote hits for others got her biggest hit with someone else’s song. That number was 'Personally,' which Paul Kelly wrote. R&B singer Jackie Moore had cut it in 1978, but it barely made a dent in the charts. Moore’s single wound up in the hands of Glenn Frey, of the Eagles, who happened to be friends with Bonoff.

'He was a great collector of obscure R&B songs, and he played that for me one night at his house,' Bonoff said in a phone call last week. 'I was like, wow, what a cool tune. Somebody should make a hit out of that.' He said, 'You know, I was thinking I should send that to Bonnie Raitt.' I was like, 'No! Don’t send that to Bonnie Raitt!'

[...]

Her good friend Frey died in 2016, but his death was only one of several in recent years among Bonoff’s peer group in the Southern California music scene that blew up in the 1970s. Two of her bandmates from a before-its-time outfit of folk-rockers called Bryndle. Kenny Edwards, who had founded The Stone Poneys with Ronstadt, then joined Bryndle, died in 2010. Andrew Gold died the next year. Singer, songwriter and producer Wendy Waldman remains active in the music business.

Edwards produced Bonoff’s first three albums. Frey was among the first people she met when she was exploring the folk rock scene of Los Angeles, which centered on The Troubadour.

'Unfortunately at this point, when you get to this age, that’s what starts to happen,' said Bonoff, 66. 'It’s hard, because it doesn’t feel like that much time has passed. We are losing people, a lot of people. It’s sad, but you try to carry on.

'To lose these guys in their 60s, it’s really a bummer. They had a lot more music in them.'

[...]

'I started out with my sister, writing, and we had a duo, sort of playing Joni Mitchell-type stuff that we were writing. We started doing those Monday nights at The Troubadour, which were open mic nights. That’s how we started meeting all these other people — Kenny Edwards and Wendy Waldman and Glenn and JD Souther. Everybody was drawn to the same couple of places where you could get up and perform.'"

The rest is about her own work.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Thanks, Soda, really interesting. I wasn't aware of the connection with Bonoff.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for posting that. It sounds like Glenn should have had a radio show where he played obscure tracks.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I don't remember ever hearing If He's Ever Near until a few days ago when I was visiting Soda. She played it - I agree with her that it's a beautiful song and, of course, it's loveliness is helped out a lot by those gorgeous backing vocals.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I've never heard it. Beautiful!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Beautiful song... nice article. Thanks for posting, soda!

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

I had never seen this article until today. Made me get a tear in my eyes towards the end. Miss him so much.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-king-231853/