Page 155 of 156 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156 LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,550 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Austin, you sound like my husband. Does not like country music. Can not stand country music. "The 'countryest' I like my music is the older Eagles songs." However, there is one country music artist he listens to regularly. Says it has more to do with the guy's attitude than the actual music, although he does like his music.

Last edited by CAinOH; 08-27-2019 at 03:42 PM.

@ CAinOH --

Haha!

You know it's funny, I have always seen Johnny Cash as an early rock n' roll artist and not so much country. I love his music! I put him in the same category as Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, and Chuck Berry. Maybe that's why your husband likes Johnny's music. And Johnny did have rock-like attitude. He had that "give the middle finger to the man" thing without being overly macho-wacho. That rebellion is what defines rock and roll. You don't see so much of that in country music, at least the classic stuff. I think that edge and the fact he played a lot of uptempo songs is why he's "different".

I think because John wrote and sang from a storytelling and common-man viewpoint (rather than singing about rockstar excess and partying), his music gets categorized as country music because that is so common with classic/traditional/old country. But to me his songs sound like rock n' roll songs. I mean it's hard for me to imagine "Get Rhythm" as anything but an uptempo rock ditty. Even Folsom Prison Blues with that train beat is straight up 50s rock n' roll to me. I think he broke the genre mold. He had elements of gospel, R&B, blues, rockabilly, folk, country, bluegrass, jazz, etc. But his core was just pure early rock n' roll music.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

LOL at that cartoon!

As has been noted by others, nowadays country is pretty much old school rock with an accent!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Inside Glenn Frey's Mad Dog Studios in Old Snowmass

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/insi...Mh6DuBTmu1dNsA

HTML Code:
    The true musical treasure of the property is a collection of 40 reel-to-reel tapes of Frey recordings that he left behind at Mad Dog. They’re fragile due to their age and Brown said the contents are unknown. Frey’s wife, Cynthia, he said, has instructed the studio to hang on to them and preserve them until they can attempt to play or transfer them to digital files.
    Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Inside Glenn Frey's Mad Dog Studios in Old Snowmass

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/insi...Mh6DuBTmu1dNsA
    Interesting. Dare we hope that someday we might hear some rare gems of Glenn’s music that we haven’t heard before? It’s not very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    The true musical treasure of the property is a collection of 40 reel-to-reel tapes of Frey recordings that he left behind at Mad Dog. They’re fragile due to their age and Brown said the contents are unknown. Frey’s wife, Cynthia, he said, has instructed the studio to hang on to them and preserve them until they can attempt to play or transfer them to digital files.
    Interesting. Dare we hope that someday we might hear some rare gems of Glenn’s music that we haven’t heard before? It’s not very likely.
    Oh, please, yes!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Wouldn't that be just great?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

No longer in Southern California.We're now in Northen New York, the St. Lawrence Valley. :)

I just ran across an article from 2016 and was caught off guard by this: "According to Henley, Frey also took the lead in developing an Eagles stage musical for Broadway."
    Does anyone know if that ever came to fruition? Or did it come to halt when Glenn passed?

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-the-fast-lane

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - it's true, MJ. Glenn had been working on a Hotel California Broadway Musical show for several years before he passed. I speculate that this is partially the reason he relocated to NYC. Here is a link to a discussion thread about it ...

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...oadway+musical

If you do a search on the board, you may find additional discussion interspersed throughout other threads as well. Although there were some mentions about Don taking over the project after Glenn passed, apparently it died along with Glenn.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016