Page 143 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    Saw this article come up on Glenn's Google Alert that there's some Eagles documentary that was made last year that will be airing on the Ovation channel called "The Long Road". They'll be airing other docs on other classic rock artists too all June. Here's the blurb from the site:

Eagles: The Long Road (2016) - Wednesday, June 7 at 8:00am ET

This documentary pays tribute to the life and career of one of the main band members, Glenn Frey. It revisits the achievements of one of the bestselling and most loved American rock bands of all time. Featuring some of their most popular tracks including "Hotel California", "New Kid in Town", "Life in the Fast Lane", "One of these Nights" and more, follow THE JOURNEY of the life of a true musical icon who will always be remembered.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/a...gends-20170517
    This looks great! Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Glenn's Mad Dog Ranch in Snowmass, Co has been purchased & revived as a recording complex: https://www.aspensojo.com/articles/2...ormer-compound

Stuck on the Border

TY, I saw that article yesterday. It is so nice that people who knew him bought it and are using the recording studio, which was apparently top notch.
    The ranch looks beautiful from the pictures in the article.

What a cool find thanks so much GlennLover!

Listening to a recording of Jingle Bells on the Mad Dog website it rocks might have to add this unique rendition to my collection of holiday music.

On a more personal level, Glenn had an amazing career and success which afforded him the ability to live and work in places like Aspen. I am glad the property is being used to furtherthe careers of musicians, songwriters, bands, etc. That is a very special tribute and legacy to Glenn.

http://maddogranchstudios.com/Media/j%20bells.mp3

This is an undated article some 11 months after birth of his 1st child that I've not seen before. I learned some new things about Glenn and sure wish he was still with us he had alot of living and giving to do.

Excerpt:

"The thrust of my charity work for the last 15 years has had to do with kids anyway," said Frey, who became a father for the first time 11 months ago and last summer served with his wife, Cindy, as a volunteer counselor for the Grassroots Experience. "I've always supported a dozen kids through Children's Christian Fund. I give money to an organization that aids in the adoption of kids who are handicapped. But here's the thing that's so funny about any kind of service work: you never bargain for what it is going to do for you. I just felt so good after spending a week with those kids. They just took me at face value. The don't know about the Eagles, or Hotel California, or that I was on Miami Vice or Wiseguy. I was just 'Glenn Frey, another counselor' and I was a musician. They never bought any of my records. They just took me at face value as I did with them.

http://allniter.tripod.com/guywithaheart.html

Stuck on the Border

Hi Dawn - A great story. Thank you. So, that interview would have been in Feb.1992. I believe I read somewhere that Glenn and Cindy sponsored the camp at their home in Aspen for many years. At one time there was a full 20-25 minute interview with sportscaster Bob Costas, where Glenn talked about his work with kids. If I remember right(it was so long ago that I saw it) in the interview Glenn states something along the lines of kids are not born bad but are a product of their environment. There is also a quote about "God likes a silent giver" but I do not remember if it came from this interview. For some reason there is only about 10 minutes of the interview left on you tube and it only involves Eagles related info.

When they played RS in 1978, proceeds plus a donation from the loosing team were made to UNICEF World Hunger Fund. So, he was giving to kids back then. I wish more people knew what a giving person Glenn was.

Hi NKIT, thanks! I think Glenn had a veritable soft spot in his heart for at risk youth and enjoyed being with young people who viewed him as an everyday guy not a celebrity. Somewhere on youtube is a video of Glenn at a charity event (possibly Boys and Girls Club) in the CA desert (indio, la quinta, palm springs?) listening to a young girl singing an Eagles song and it was so poignant. His beloved now-deceased mom was very active with the same charity after they bought a home at PGA in La Quinta.

“I’ve been helping kids — at-risk kids — for a long time,” he told The Desert Sun in 2010. “Thirty years. It seems like now times are even more troubled for young people.”

Regarding your post, goes on to state:

The rock legend first became active in children’s charities in the 1990s, when he started hosting inner-city kids in Colorado each summer.

Somewhere I remember reading about Glenn joking .... Hoods in the Woods

Glenn was involved with several other charitable organizations as well but I think his true passion was working with kids.

For as long as I live I think I'll always be heartbroken that with all the effort that went into trying to help Glenn when he was hospitalized with pneumonia - in the end it wasn't enough to save him.

Edited to add

Here is the link to the youtube video of the La Quinta Boys and Girls Club Heatwave Jazz and Show Band performing for Glenn Frey. It's really sweet.

Setlist: The One You Love, Hotel California, The Heat is On

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wu1qshCtfrk
    Last edited by Dawn; 05-25-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks Dawn ! I know I saw something where he was talking about Taylor having a hard time in her early teens and stating how hard it is being a kid now. So true....
    Hoods in the Woods - cute! Sounds like he and Cindy had big hearts. He seemed to really have found his soul mate when he married Cindy. I'm sure he knew how blessed he was.

On a more serious note, I had bacterial pneumonia three years ago and was six for 5-6 weeks. I can not imagine having two auto-immune diseases with a compromised immune system and trying to fight pneumonia. I was shocked but not surprised when I heard he died from the pneumonia. It really takes a lot out of a person. The world is a sadder place when giving people like Glenn are no longer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Thanks Dawn ! I know I saw something where he was talking about Taylor having a hard time in her early teens and stating how hard it is being a kid now. So true....
    Hoods in the Woods - cute! Sounds like he and Cindy had big hearts. He seemed to really have found his soul mate when he married Cindy. I'm sure he knew how blessed he was.

On a more serious note, I had bacterial pneumonia three years ago and was six for 5-6 weeks. I can not imagine having two auto-immune diseases with a compromised immune system and trying to fight pneumonia. I was shocked but not surprised when I heard he died from the pneumonia. It really takes a lot out of a person. The world is a sadder place when giving people like Glenn are no longer with us.
    Yikes, So very glad you made it thru bacterial pneumonia!! It's tough enough battling an infection as severe as BP but yes, when dealing with a compromised immune system in the face of the very real threat of a hospital acquired infection it can be very difficult. Clearly Glenn was in a very tough spot and I wish he could have made it thru. i think Cindy and Glenn were a great team, she was usually literally beaming in the photos of them together.

Love reading and watching these. Thanks, folks.

Glenn had such a big heart. People don't really talk about that, do they? Well, he didn't really talk about it that much, either, except to promote the causes. He once said "The Lord loves a quiet giver." What a man.

And yes, NKIT, so glad you're well again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten