Page 115 of 156 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

The Muscle Shoals documentary was on my wish list, so you prompted me to watch it. It's a good one as it's about musicians I've been listening to for my whole life without knowing their names or faces. Now I need to look up the credits on No Fun Aloud so I can put faces to the names. The Glenn Frey reference is just his name as the flick past the album cover in a long list of musicians who they have played with.

ETA: The Muscle Shoals songs must be Sea Cruise, That Girl and All Those Lies. Two "Swampers" - Roger Hawkins on drums and David Hood on bass - play on those along with a couple of Muscle Shoals session musicians, Duncan Cameron and Wayne Perkins.

From Soda's collection, Glenn with some people in Muscle Shoals.

And here's Glenn with Jerry Wexler who plays a significan role in the Muscle Shoals story.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 12-16-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I remember at the time NFA & then The Allnighter came out I read all about Muscle Shoals, Atlantic R&B & Al Green because this was all music Glenn loved. Atlantic did six double LP compilations & I bought three of them (they include artists like Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, etc etc). I have Al Green's Greatest Hits but I am not nearly as big a fan as Glenn is. I also knew he liked Sam Cooke. It's funny because yesterday I heard I'll Come Running Back To You - this is the only song I have seen Glenn do live that I don't have a version of him singing it. It's also weird that for the most part he was more influenced by this Memphis soul music than he was by the music of his own hometown Detroit.

All of this was after I had eagerly bought the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Gram Parsons because that influenced him too.

Of course we now know that he also likes Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, Burt Bacharach etc. Perhaps it is because I'm much older now but I didn't feel the same compulsion to buy a lot of that music.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, the show repeats tonight, so I'll be watching it.

I don't know a whole lot about R&B, just the hits and the bigger artists. I'm not familiar with the differences between motown and soul music. Here, those terms are interchangeable. I hope to learn some new things tonight.

Now The Byrds/ Buffalo Springfield, I'm much more familiar with.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I stumbled upon the Muscle Shoals documentary while channel surfing last night. I was amazed how these humble, relatively unknown musicians contributed to so many albums. There was great footage of the early days of the Rolling Stones at Muscle Shoals and lots of interviews and stories. I learned a lot. You are going to love it AG !

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Well, the show repeats tonight, so I'll be watching it.

I don't know a whole lot about R&B, just the hits and the bigger artists. I'm not familiar with the differences between motown and soul music. Here, those terms are interchangeable. I hope to learn some new things tonight.

Now The Byrds/ Buffalo Springfield, I'm much more familiar with.
    Motown tends to be regarded as 'soul' with its slick production & emphasis on vocal groups (Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops) although there were occasional solo artists like Marvin Gaye & Stevie Wonder. R&B tends to be less polished. I would say Aretha Franklin who was known as Lady Soul covered both genres.

I really enjoyed the show. Aretha was interviewed for it. Nice to hear about Respect being recorded. They also had Percy Sledge. I shocked to hear that When A Man Loves A Woman was the first song he recorded. Wilson Pickett and Clarence Walker were also on there.

Of course, when they talk about the area and the southern way of life, how there's nothing like it, I couldn't help but smile and nod my head. I believe that's true. Hearing about Skynyrd and the Allman Brothers Band (2 of my favorite bands) was cool, especially when they discussed Duane Allman inventing southern rock and Billy Powell joining Lynyrd Skynyrd. I didn't know what "Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers", from Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama meant until now.

As UTW said, Glenn just got a brief mention. They played most of Bob Seger's Mainstreet, and talked about him for a few minutes. Also, having Bono, Mick Jagger, and Keith Richards talk about recording there and they felt at home was fascinating.

I was amazed and shocked that the session musicians were white! They definitely had soul, though. Great show!
    -Kim-

AG, I think I saw this on Independent Lens on PBS Explore.Saw the Glenn Frey album cover. Great show. Did you catch the documentary short right after it? Waiting on a Train, I think it was called.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    AG, I think I saw this on Independent Lens on PBS Explore.Saw the Glenn Frey album cover. Great show. Did you catch the documentary short right after it? Waiting on a Train, I think it was called.
    Yes, I did. Not very often you hear about a Japanese guy who loves country and bluegrass music enough to come to the states. That was pretty cool. When he played the record, I heard something about cotton pickin' in Georgia, but I didn't recognize the song.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I remember at the time NFA & then The Allnighter came out I read all about Muscle Shoals, Atlantic R&B & Al Green because this was all music Glenn loved. Atlantic did six double LP compilations & I bought three of them (they include artists like Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, etc etc). I have Al Green's Greatest Hits but I am not nearly as big a fan as Glenn is. I also knew he liked Sam Cooke. It's funny because yesterday I heard I'll Come Running Back To You - this is the only song I have seen Glenn do live that I don't have a version of him singing it. It's also weird that for the most part he was more influenced by this Memphis soul music than he was by the music of his own hometown Detroit.

All of this was after I had eagerly bought the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Gram Parsons because that influenced him too.

Of course we now know that he also likes Tony Bennett, Peggy Lee, Burt Bacharach etc. Perhaps it is because I'm much older now but I didn't feel the same compulsion to buy a lot of that music.
    The big advantage of 2015 over 1982 is that all these artists are just a few clicks away on youtube or streaming media. I also have a collection of vintage music that includes Dinah Washington and others that Glenn has mentioned - they were given out by a newspaper and I found them when clearing out my parents' house.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I saw that documentary (on Netflix) - it's excellent. I don't remember the Glenn mention, but so many people recorded there, it's kinda overwhelming. At one point, there are rapid-fire images of the covers from all the major albums recorded at Muscle Shoals and it's like image overload.