Page 133 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133134135136137143 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

The interview Elton John did with Clash magazine finally got posted online and here's what he said about Glenn. He was asked about David Bowie's passing and he brought up about how he found out about Bowie and Glenn. I personally didn't know Elton knew Glenn before the Eagles formed.

You performed a special show at the Wiltern Theater in LA in January, during which you said a few words of tribute to David Bowie, and played a unique version of ‘Space Oddity’. People die every day, but if it’s an artist or someone well known, the reaction on social media can be extensive. The outpouring of grief for Bowie was just unbelievable…

Well, nobody expected it. It was like the day after his album came out. I had no idea. I knew he’d had a heart attack (in 2004), but I had no idea he was sick. I don’t think anybody did. When David [Furnish] phoned me at like three o’ clock in the morning in LA, I thought, ‘Oh my God, what’s the matter?’ I thought there was something wrong with the kids. He said, ‘I’d better let you know that David Bowie has died.’ I had to get up. I couldn’t sleep. I was shocked, I was stunned; it was the element of surprise. This album had just come out and he’d done the video, and he didn’t look ill in the video…

I’ve seen pictures of him from recently, or fairly recently, and he looked fantastic for his age. He looked great. I didn’t know he was ill. It was like, wow. Grab every day as you can. And then Glenn [Frey] died, and I knew Glenn very well from The Eagles, and from before The Eagles… I knew David to start with, but I didn’t really know him towards the end.
    http://www.clashmusic.com/features/e...erful-new-life
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

I didn't know Elton knew Glenn either. I know Don knew Elton very well. Glenn might also saw Elton at the Troubador too when he played there.

Stuck on the Border

When Elton and his band first arrived in LA, they went to see The Dillards at the Troubadour. The opening act was Longbranch Pennywhistle.

Stuck on the Border

The Eagles supported Elton at a huge gig at Wembley Stadium in 1975 which also featured the Beach Boys & Joe Walsh.

In HOTE Don Henley states that he went to Elton's legendary show at the Troubadour in 1971.

Banned

Can't ignore an opportunity to post a link to the TV ad for Elton's 1975 midsummer gig at Wembley Stadium, featuring both Joe Walsh and Eagles ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldSglCoYaU

I'm glad Elton brought up Glenn. They went way back and it seems from the statement he implies that he'd had more contact with Glenn than with David Bowie in recent years.

And oh my gosh, that ad is adorable!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Hadn't you seen the ad before, Soda? I love it, I've watched it over and over! How I wish there was a document of this amazing show.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I saw that ad a well recently and it is adorable!!! I'm not that familiar with Elton's history so thanks for filling me in. I agree I like that Elton brought up Glenn too.

I just saw Vince Gill was interviewed and asked about all the musician deaths this year and sadly he has had a lot of family and friends pass away this year too. I do also like how he brought up again how the Eagles have been a huge influence on country music for over 20 years now. I do hear it in a lot of today's country and so many of the country artists I'm a fan of do credit them as an influence, as well as Vince himself.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/co...12e8929d8.html
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

No, NMB, at least not within recent memory!

buffyfan - thanks for posting that interview.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

A couple of small insights into teenage Glenn from a book called "Detroit Rock City" by Steve Miller.

Iggy Pop: I used to hang out with Glenn Frey at the Birmingham Hideout a lot. At one point, after The Stooges had formed, we used to break up every few years. He was trying to start a band with Bob Seger, you know, he said "I'm sick of working for Bob Seger. Come on, we could start a great band", you know.
    Scott Richardson: My first acid trip was fall of 1967. It was also Bob Seger's and Glenn Frey's. We all went to the aboretum at the University of Michigan - this was before SRC got going. We got it from Ed Fritch, a kind of famous character around Ann Arbor, him and Steve McCann. They hung around the bands. They weren't musicians; they were heads. Fritch went out to California and came back with a boatload of Owslet - that Sandoz acid. It was the best.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-21-2016 at 06:13 AM. Reason: spelling