Page 140 of 156 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1552

Thread: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Glenn in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Thanks UTW. Wow - what a great find. That was fun to listen to!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks UTW. You are so great at finding gems.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

This is an interview with Jack Tempchin and it has a few bits about how some songs were written and also Glenn's memorial.
    http://www.goldminemag.com/articles/...-jack-tempchin
    GOLDMINE: First of all, we offer our condolences on Glenn, and thank you again for the beautiful quote and the fun photo from the “No Fun Aloud” album sessions you provided for our April issue. Now let’s talk about that exciting album closer, with almost a touch of a Duran Duran beat, “Don’t Give Up,” with keyboards from Hawk Wolinski, who Midwesterners first heard on the Shadows of Knight summer of 1966 single “Bad Little Woman.”
    JACK TEMPCHIN: Glenn wanted to record a song for televised sports, hoping to have “Don’t Give Up” as a theme. Hawk provided incredibly exciting keyboards at a time when MIDI recording was new. I was able to catch up with Hawk at Glenn’s memorial.
    GM: At the end of side one on Glenn’s next two albums “The Allnighter” and “Soul Searchin’,” Nick DeCaro arranged the beautiful pair of songs “Lover’s Moon” and “I Did It for Your Love.”
    JT: I started “Lover’s Moon” in Hawaii with a I, VI, II, V chord progression, changed the melody and kept it simple. For “I Did It for Your Love,” Glenn wanted to do a movie theme. He was sitting at the piano singing, and I wanted to be a part of that, and help give it a haunting melody. It resurfaced in the film “Joy” late last year.
    GM: Also from the album “Soul Searchin’,” there is the flip side of “Livin’ Right,” the album’s title tune “Soul Searchin’” with the soulful choir.
    JT: Our lives were changing. I went from being “Midnight Jack” during the sessions for “The Allnighter” to appreciating how Glenn was changing his lifestyle. It was no more “life in the fast lane.” He hired a trainer and would wake at 4:45 a.m. to head to the gym in Aspen. He said he was doing some “Soul Searchin’.” The Waters family were fantastic on the background vocals.

JT: We also had Richard Stekol. At Glenn’s memorial, Don Henley and Jackson Browne performed Richard’s “My Old Pals” from the Funky Kings album. This is another example of how wonderful the Eagles are. They can write great songs, but if they hear one they like, they share it with spiritual generosity.

I was listening to a radio chat between J R Robinson (drummer who's played on everything) and Danny Seraphine (original Chicago drummer) and they were joined by Hawk Wolinksi. They talked a little about songwriting and Hawk said about doing a little every day and keeping a notebook of titles. He referenced writer, Ray Bradbury as someone who took that approach. There was no mention of Glenn, but the wheels were turning in my head that these were people that Glenn used to hang out with. He wrote with Hawk a few times and both JR and Hawk played on his records and toured with him. Add to that, Glenn's right-hand man, Tommy Nixon is married to Ray Bradbury's daughter.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 04-03-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Banned

Thanks a lot UtW.

Here's My Old Pals that Don and Jackson sang at Glenn's memorial concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_tgmXImTWo

Jack Tempchin 1 year ago
    Last night I watched Don Henley and Jackson Browne perform this song. They chose to do it at Glenn Frey's memorial service. They chose it over all their own songs. I still think that Richard Stekol song and the harmony singing by Jules Shear is one of the best things every recorded. I am proud to have been in a band with those two guys. Jack Tempchin

Border Rebel

Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one. I bet they sounded great, and it was definitely a fitting choice!

I've never heard of this song, but it was soo appropriate for the memorial service. I can hear Don and Jackson in my head singing this song. Harmonizing. I can hear Don doing the harmonizing and Jackson singing lead or it could be the other way around, but the high parts sounds more like Don than Jackson.

It was soo nice to hear more info about Glenn's memorial service.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I've never heard of this song, but it was soo appropriate for the memorial service. I can hear Don and Jackson in my head singing this song. Harmonizing. I can hear Don doing the harmonizing and Jackson singing lead or it could be the other way around, but the high parts sounds more like Don than Jackson.

It was soo nice to hear more info about Glenn's memorial service.
    I can hear it in my head, too, Shun. Definitely Jackson singing the melody and DH singing harmony. Must have been awesome. Wish we all could hear it!

Interesting. That performance must have been incredibly moving.

I got this alert this morning for an article titled:"Exotic Cars, Jay Leno and Robin Zander Give to Make-A-Wish 13 April 2017". It is about the 14th Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival which was held in Orlando last weekend!

A tribute to Glenn is mentioned:
    On Friday night, the festival put on an event held at the Hard Rock Live at Universal Studios City Walk, which sold a limited amount of tickets to the public. Cheap Trick lead singer Robin Zander and his son, Robin Taylor Zander opened the show with an acoustic set of Trick hit songs starting off with “The Flame”. “I Want You to Want Me” is classic Trick and everyone sang along. Zander did a beautiful tribute to his friend Eagle Glenn Frey, with a stellar version of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”
    http://www.sarasotapost.com/great-re...to-make-a-wish

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover
    I got this alert this morning for an article titled:"Exotic Cars, Jay Leno and Robin Zander Give to Make-A-Wish 13 April 2017". It is about the 14th Annual Celebration Exotic Car Festival which was held in Orlando last weekend!

A tribute to Glenn is mentioned:
    On Friday night, the festival put on an event held at the Hard Rock Live at Universal Studios City Walk, which sold a limited amount of tickets to the public. Cheap Trick lead singer Robin Zander and his son, Robin Taylor Zander opened the show with an acoustic set of Trick hit songs starting off with “The Flame”. “I Want You to Want Me” is classic Trick and everyone sang along. Zander did a beautiful tribute to his friend Eagle Glenn Frey, with a stellar version of “Peaceful Easy Feeling”
    http://www.sarasotapost.com/great-re...to-make-a-wish

That sounds lovely! Thanks for finding it.