Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Running Out Of Time

Default Re: Running Out Of Time

lol. Interesting coincidences, Bree! Have fun reading The Stand. I think "Brave New World" is a really underrated song myself. I love the part where he goes "Don't worry, darlin', this will all be over soon... just remember you will always be my girl."

~

Stuck on the Border

Just going back to the 'lightweight' thing. I specifically mentioned the three tracks on the Soul Searchin' album which aren't lightweight, one of which is the title track.

It's Your Life might be about letting the woman do her own thing, but I am sure there are many similar songs out there like it (and no, OK, I can't think of anything in particular at the moment). To me, regardless of the alleged sacrifice he is making, the lyrics are cliched and the music is boring. He sings it beautifully, but that is par for the course.

Some Kind of Blue was the song I forgot about. It has grown on me as the years have gone by, I admit, but I think he's done better.

I haven't seen Don solo but as The Genie and Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed are two of my least favourite of his songs, I can't imagine I would have thought the shows got off to a flying start.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Just going back to the 'lightweight' thing. I specifically mentioned the three tracks on the Soul Searchin' album which aren't lightweight, one of which is the title track.
    Ah, OK. I saw you called three of them "standout tracks" but I didn't realize you also thought they weren't lightweight. You don't think Livin' Right is lightweight?

His voice sells "It's Your Life" for me. So sincere and strong. I love it.

~

Stuck on the Border

Given that Livin' Right is about a big life change, no, I don't think it's lightweight. It's a very personal song.

Now we're getting back to the definition of "lightweight." Some would argue that because Livin' Right is expressing how good he's feeling and is not about "deep social issues," it's lightweight. (I don't buy into what I believe is a false dichotomy between the two). So, is it impossible for a personal song to be lightweight?

~

Stuck on the Border

I would have thought that because it's about a very personal issue, that makes it a better song. He was not writing many songs like that at that time. For me that means it's 'deep'.

I have got into trouble with my use of the word 'lightweight' before and I think I will not use it again. All I would say is that some of these songs are not exactly in the same league as for example Tequila Sunrise and New Kid In Town. They don't have much to say. That doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable to listen to but they aren't exactly masterpieces.

Feel free to use whatever words you like! It's just such words often have different connotations for different people, so when we're having a discussion like this one, it helps to clarify.

~

I've renewed this thread as I've been listening to Strange Weather a lot. I'm curious to know who is being referred to in Big Life, especially at Aspen - Don and Jack and Cher. Is it Don H and Jack Tempchin? Does Don H ski? I can see Glenn skiing, but not Don for some reason.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good question Kate. I always just figured it was either Don Henley or Don Johnson. I know that both owned homes in Aspen at various times in the past. I also figured the "Jack" was Jack Tempchin.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

I think that Jack might be Jack Nicholson. I'm pretty sure these are all supposed to be famous wealthy people that the early 90s listener would recognize (and which would impress the girl in the song). That rules out Jack Tempchin! As for Don, he could be talking about Donald Trump - it's unclear.

Another possiblity: he chose the names of the rich people that would coincide with people he knew as an in-joke.

~