Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Running Out Of Time

eaglesfans

Default Re: Running Out Of Time

I believe it's Don Johnson and Jack Nicholson. Henley doesn't ski.

</p>

Stuck on the Border

I always thought it was obvious that 'Jack' was Nicholson and it makes more sense that 'Don' is Johnson. There are more oblique autobiographical references in this song. The man has houses in Aspen, LA and Hawaii.

It is interesting that you really don't know what will happen to him at the end of the song, when he's bluffing his way through the fact that his stock is going down, etc.

Thanks for all your replies - Don Johnson and Jack Nicholson do make sense. I noticed the references to locations of houses. I wonder if Glenn has 'staff' in his house in Hawaii?

The Big Life character seems to have the 'never give up' attitude at the end, I suppose that's the type that makes money (and headlines in the tabloids) in the first place.

~~~

This way to happiness...

It's interesting to analyze the lyrics to Big Life and guess how much of it is self-parody and how much of it is the kind of "aren't most rich people lame" mentality that is in I've Got Mine.

Please allow me to introduce myself
    Although you probably know my name
    You may have seen me in the tabloids darlin'
    I'm a player in the game
    I own this airline and a baseball team
    I started out with nothing, just a dream
    Now I'm worth millions, what can I say?
    Then I meet a pretty girl like you
    It must be my lucky day

This doesn't sound autobiographical at all. At this point in his life, Glenn was hardly all over the tabloids, and since the Eagles were notoriously press-shy, he never really was even at the height of the Eagles. The airline and baseball team stuff is the stereotypical mogul not unlike Donald Trump, which is why I always wondered if he were "Don." Remember, it was around this time Donald and Ivana split up and their messy divorce was all over the news (and tabloids). Indeed, the divorce was a direct result of Donald being caught in an affair with Marla Maples - and the confrontation between husband and wife took place on the slopes of Aspen! I'm sure everyone in Aspen, including Glenn, heard all about it!

Right now we're flying over some land I own
    Yeah, that's Aspen right down there
    I go skiing there at Christmastime
    With Don and Jack and Cher
    Hey, maybe when we get to LA, honey
    You'd like to come along with me
    And watch me spend my money
    You can use my limousine to pick up all your friends
    We'll meet at my house in the hills
    Where the party never ends

I get the impression from the impersonal phrasing "land I own" that he's talking about real estate rather than a home, again reminiscent of Donald Trump. However, it is certainly possible that he recognizes the elements of the non-stop partier that he once was and therefore is incorporating that ironically here.

I'll take you to my beach house in Hawaii
    We'll find some peace, just you, my staff and I
    No need to be so wary, it isn't necessary
    You see I'm just an ordinary guy

I can see the continued reference to places he also owns homes in as self-parody, although he also could be thinking of his rich neighbors, too.

They say that I'm in trouble now
    They say I'm on the run
    They say my stock is going down
    But I'm still having fun
    I can take pressure; I can stand the heat
    I say I'm still the man; I still compete
    I'm calling all the shots; I'm still the boss
    I'm suing everyone - I don't care what it costs

Donald Trump was near bankruptcy in 1991 and has filed many times since then! These rich guys are always filing for bankruptcy when their deals go bad. Odd, huh? Of course, one could also argue that Glenn is parodying his decline in popularity and using the terms "stock" as a symbol of that (or using it in both ways), but that doesn't have much to do with lawsuits.

Now, the end of the song is the lamest part where the guy uses all the oldest lines in the book. I think Glenn is just going for laughs at this point, even if there are disturbing undercurrents.

[spoken]

Yeah, I got a big life, alright. It certainly takes up all of my time!

Sounds like Joe in Life's Been Good!

By the way, you wanna get into the movies?

Hmm - King of Hollywood redux?

Do you work out? You look like the kind of girl who works out. I like that. Stewardess, would you get me another gin and tonic? Bring the little girl whatever she wants.

Just for laughs, I think.

Now, where I was I? Oh yeah, Hollywood. You know, the first time I went to Hollywood was 19, 20 years ago. You were just a twinkle in your mama's eye then.

Hmmm - Teen King redux?

Come on a little closer...

If you insist.

~

Absolutely great piece of literary criticism there, Nancy. I can't add any more - that sums it up, particularly the corny chat up lines at the end. Makes it look much less like self parody and more like a snipe at the the Donald Trumps, Robert Maxwells and Rupert Murdochs of this world.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    Absolutely great piece of literary criticism there, Nancy.
    Aw, thanks, Kate! I am happy to lend my nerd powers to Glenn fandom.

~

Stuck on the Border

The only part I referred to as 'obliquely autobiographical' was the location of the houses. If we are analysing it this closely perhaps the 'movies' reference concerns his spectacular failure in this area.

I do, however, like the fact that the opening line is the same as the opening line of Sympathy For The Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I do, however, like the fact that the opening line is the same as the opening line of Sympathy For The Devil.
    Me too, Julie. It gives the song a certain atmosphere right from the get-go.

---

-Irene

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.