Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Long Road Out of Eden!

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    How Long
    Waiting In The Weeds
    No More Walks In The Wood
    Do Something
    Fast Company
    Guilty Of The Crime
    I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
    Last Good Time In Town
    Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture

I will add to my list Somebody, that I didn't really appreciate till I saw it live and then I couldn't believe I hadn't caught onto that one earlier. I also have a whole new appreciatation for Long Road Out Of Eden after seeing it live but I will admit, I still skip over it more than listen to it on the album.

Willie, I am glad you like Somebody, because other than that the only one of your favourite songs where Glenn sings lead is How Long. Just an observation.

Here are my 12 songs for one disc:

Waiting In The Weeds
    Somebody
    Last Good Time In Town
    Long Road Out of Eden
    How Long
    Do Something
    What Do I Do With My Heart
    No More Walks In The Woods
    Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
    No More Cloudy Days
    Guilty of the Crime
    Busy Being Fabulous
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

GL - I thought the deluxe edition of LROOE was made available in Canada, but I could be misremembering. In any event, if you are interested in it, you can probably still get it on Amazon. It is a good thing to have if you are a collector of such stuff. The accompanying booklet is very nice, and I don't think it cost more than a couple dollars more than the 'undeluxe' version.

Another thought I had about the band releasing LROOE as one disc - just looking at how much disagreement there is among us fans with our lists, can you imagine how the band would have been able to agree on which songs made the cut??? It might have gotten ugly!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Another thought I had about the band releasing LROOE as one disc - just looking at how much disagreement there is among us fans with our lists, can you imagine how the band would have been able to agree on which songs made the cut??? It might have gotten ugly!!!
    When I remember Don's comments from some of the interviews at the time, it sounds like it almost did, LOL!

Thanks for the info, Dreamer! I checked their website store & it's only available for download. I may try to get it on Amazon. If there is even one more picture in it that wasn't on the regular version it's worth it ! Do you think I may be a bit of an Eagles fan ?

Stuck on the Border

For me, and this is entirely personal, the strength of the double album is that we finally got away from the situation that occurred on the last 3 70s Eagles albums where Glenn sang either one or one and a half songs. He seems to have finally decided that it was time for him to regain his position as being co-lead singer on the band. I don't know what would have happened if he had agreed with Don that it should only have been a single album. I suspect that again, he would have dropped most of his songs and kept Don's. As it is, at least we have these songs on an album because he doesn't seem to want to play most of them live (although he did play a couple in solo shows).

OK, next part of my review:

Fast Company- Very retro with its falsetto – and not in a good way. I hate falsetto; it can occasionally work in very small doses but when it’s throughout – no. It does have a good beat and the harmonies work. You can hear Glenn very well in the chorus. I think the line "Fast company... you're going nowhere fast" is very catchy. I’m not impressed with much else.

Do Something- Gorgeous. Tim's vocals are terrific, lovely melody, and I like the country-fied arrangement. Brining Don in on the end again emphasizes the Eagles-ness of it (I LOVE shared lead vocals – so few bands can pull that off). Easy on the ears, that's for sure!

You Are Not Alone From the moment I heard this way back in 2007 at Niagara Falls, it struck me. The music, like the lyrics, is straightforward and comforting, and they complement each other perfectly. I don't know what it is about the arrangement and chording that makes them work so well with the emotion of the song - I just know they do. Like No More Cloudy days, the song makes you feel all warm inside, even before he starts singing. Glenn is very good at evoking that kind of emotion. The only thing I would change is less "do-do-do-do-do" at the end, but otherwise I love it.

Long Road Out of Eden This is a song that has really grown on me. At first, I was “eh” about it. I thought it was overdone almost to the point of self-indulgence and could have used some trimming. I still think it has a lot of weaknesses - the Middle Eastern instrumental bits go on way too long. Yes, I know it's done for effect, but we could have gotten the effect in a lot less time! I mean it goes on for over a minute at the beginning! Once we get into the song, it's not so bad. The verse has an interesting progressive, almost trudging melody, but I think that fits the mood of the song. I like the way they sing the title line, I love the way Henley sings "I'd give anything to be there in your arms tonight," and I love the guitar solo - in fact, the guitar solo almost seems too good for this song in the sense that a guitar solo of that quality shouldn't go into a Middle Eastern music solo, which drains it of all its energy, and then further down to Henley's plodding final verse. It almost feels like a chastisement - "You were starting to enjoy this song? To think it rocked? Don't forget it's serious and political! To remind you, here's a boring middle eastern interlude." It totally kills the song. The only thing that saved it for me was the guitar, really.

HOWEVER, once I saw it live with those vivid backgrounds, the cinematic / epic nature of it hit me full force. Now I listen to it when new appreciation.

I Dreamed There Was No War I am so impressed by the eloquence and expressiveness of this piece, simply because it always amazes me how a talented musician can make an instrumental "speak." Its poignant, mournful beauty evokes both hope and sadness, dream and disappointment, in a way that I find very moving. And all in a little over a minute. I adore this song!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

And another video I made:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-JWovfAug[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

Long Road Out of Eden ... and I love the guitar solo - in fact, the guitar solo almost seems too good for this song in the sense that a guitar solo of that quality shouldn't go into a Middle Eastern music solo, which drains it of all its energy, and then further down to Henley's plodding final verse. It almost feels like a chastisement - "You were starting to enjoy this song? To think it rocked? Don't forget it's serious and political! To remind you, here's a boring middle eastern interlude." It totally kills the song. The only thing that saved it for me was the guitar, really.
    Soda this is priceless! I never actually thought of it that way but now that you mention it...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.