Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Long Road Out of Eden!

Koala - I feel pretty much the same way - there are no songs on the album that I don't like - all of 'em are good. However, I do remember there was some disagreement among the band members (primarily Don and Glenn) about whether the CD should be released as one or two discs. I can see very strong arguments for both sides. Don wanted to release the CD as one disc, which would contain 10 - 12 very strong songs, hoping it would be perceived as a great album with no weaknesses. Glenn's view was that they had 20 really good songs ready to release that offer a great variety of music, so he wanted to release it as two discs - as he put it "we gave you everything on this album but health insurance". Ultimately, I'm glad it was released as two discs - just gives us more to love. However, when the album was first released, we had a thread talking about what songs we would include if the album had been released as one disc. I looked back on my list that I posted at the time, and found that I have changed my mind quite a bit. So here is what my album would look like today if it had been released as one disc ...

1. No More Walks In the Wood
    2. How Long
    3. Waiting In the Weeds
    4. Last Good Time In Town
    5. What Do I Do With My Heart
    6. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
    7. Long Road Out of Eden
    8. I Dreamed There Was No War
    9. Somebody
    10. Do Something
    11. Business As Usual
    12. You Are Not Alone

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Very interesting Dreamer.

I never seem to have enough time to do these threads justice. Very quickly all I can say is that my favorites and least favorites have not changed. My favorite is still How Long. I love the upbeat tempo and the unmistakable Eagles sound. My least favorites are Fast Company and Frail Grasp. However, that being said, I love the fact that the Eagles can change it up so much. A very versatile album.

Happy Anniversary Long Road Out Of Eden!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

If I could only include 12 songs:

How Long
    What Do I Do With My Heart
    Waiting In The Weeds
    No More Cloudy Days
    Do Something
    You Are Not Alone
    Long Road Out Of EDden
    Somebody
    Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
    I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
    Last Good Time In Town
    Business As Usual

but I hate to lose It's Your World Now.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I thought I would try to put together some of my thoughts from when the album came out and augment them with things that have changed. I'm gonna segment this because there's so much to say!

I still remember that excitement beyond belief when I held the album in my hands... the one that I thought would never happen, the one I was afraid to hope for. Even after hearing it on preview, there was just something about having it in my possession that made it REAL. The Eagles are so amazing for putting out new music after all this time when so many of their peers rest on their laurels.

THE EAGLES ROCK.

No More Walks in the Wood - I love the beautiful harmonies that this piece is obviously designed to feature. The individual voices come through loud and clear, each adding its own texture. Melodically, it's not very interesting, but the melody isn't what's important here, it's the vocal. The reason the melody isn't my favorite is that it reminds me of some of the doxology-type songs we would sing in church, where we would try to make Bible verses that weren't intended to be sung into songs and it got a bit awkward with the melody.Ideally, the melody would have a more satisfying structure that sounds more cohesive and less meandering. For an example of the ideal, see "Seven Bridges Road." That has a terrific melody that doesn't detract from the vocals in any way.

How Long - So much fun! This one makes me smile every time I hear it, despite the unpleasant opening image of a dissected bluebird. This song has always been great, and the guys do it justice now just as they did over 30 years ago. It seems so "right"!

Busy Being Fabulous So, so catchy. I love it. It gets stuck in your head, and ever since, I've sometimes used the phrase as a joke - "I wonder if Stevie Nicks is busy being fabulous tonight?" lol I think they were right to choose this as the second single. It's got that "hook" that even catches the casual listener. This also has a bit of a country flavor to it. It's got a pleasant melody and the "uh-huh" is a nice touch.

What Do I Do With My Heart My favorite on the album, right up there with Waiting in the Weeds! Magnificent vocals, strong melody, effective song structure. Glenn nails that love-lorn vocal, rich yet vulnerable. Bringing Don in at the end for that back-and-forth just takes it to the next level and emphasizes it's an Eagles song. The bridge is unexpectedly different, and it's terrific. The power of Glenn's vocal from the bridge to the end is what really sells it for me, though. He make you feel it. That's what has always drawn me to his music, and he's done it again here.

More later!
    Soda...I thought you were reading my mind when you wrote these...well, all except the part about NMWIW...the church melody analogy never crossed my mind ! I just take it as great on its harmonious vocals alone! But I too have often wondered why the bluebird had to be sacrificed in "How Long"...what's the point of that image?? And, I also had adopted "busy being fabulous" fairly early on as a catch phrase in my own conversations, though I doubt most of the folks I'm speaking to get the drift, since they're non-Borderers (usually). And what you said about WDIDWMH--my feelings exactly as to why that song strikes a chord in my heart...that last verse is just awesome!! Right on!! And write on!!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Thanks EV! My next segment:

Guilty of the Crime Not my favorite, but still good. I've heard this one before courtesy of the Robocop Soundtrack, and I've always thought it was fun. I really like the piano parts in it, which gives it a different kind of feel than just straight up guitar rock song. Joe's vocal is so exuberant and this is a song I like more every time I hear it.

I Don't Want to Hear Any More A pleasant melody and a smooth vocal. Its strength is the chorus, I think, which is catchy. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like this song just as well as Do Something. While at first it didn't make a huge impression, this is another song that I like better every time I hear it. I find it very melodic and easy to listen to.

Waiting in the Weeds Like pretty much everyone else, I absolutely adore this song. As I stated before, it's tied for my favorite with What Do I Do with My Heart. I love the lyrics, the images, the structure, the way Don's voice goes up and gets more passionate on that verse about "flavor of the week", the shift from the bridge back to the verse - all of it. It's magnificent. I think it's Henley's best work since The End of the Innocence. Gorgeous melody, evocative vocal - this could have been sing-songy, but instead it's a natural progression. That part about the county fair, the ferris wheel, and the flavor of the week is some of the best lyrical wordplay I've heard in a long time, and the fact that it's then that Henley takes it up a notch just emphasizes that. What inspired arrangement! The bit about spiders rebuilding their webs is another original and intelligent lyrical contribution. This is the kind of song that makes you appreciate just how talented Henley is. Beautiful - absolutely beautiful. I think it's brilliant - lyrically, musically - I like everything about it. I find it FLAWLESS. How rare is that?! Amazing.

I also love the way the lyrics keep rolling into one another: "the seasons are slowly changing... you and though you're with somebody else" I personally think it's to achieve the effect of the endless cycle. Just when you think the thought is ended, it continues to the next line, both echoing the line melodically and thematically but building upon it as well... and so on, and so on. Even when you have breaks, key changes, and melodic shifts, the images echo each other. It's amazing to me that this has so much repetition musically and yet, listening to it, it doesn't sound repetitive at all. That is such an achievement and attests to the power of the lyrics.

No More Cloudy Days - I’ve loved this ever since Farewell 1. Absolutely beautiful. Our first indication that Glenn’s still got it not only as a vocalist but as a songwriter. I love the way he sings “I know a place where we can go...” and just the romance of the entirety of the song. “I believe in angels too...” The whole song just fills me with warmth, and I love listening to it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I remember feeling about the same way that Soda described about holding it in my hands. I couldn't believe it was actually here. I also had preordered it from Amazon (the good old days when it was guaranteed in your hands day of release!) and I remember going to the post office to pick it up and couldn't even wait till I got into the car to start opening it. I remember just staring at it for the longest time before I even opened the gatefold. It was a moment that most Eagles fans really didn't think would ever happen again--a new cd release of not just 10-12 songs but 20! Wow!

My favorites really haven't changed much from 2 years ago. I know most will disagree with a couple of them here like FC & Frail Grasp, but I love them. Have been and always will be faves...

How Long
    Waiting In The Weeds
    No More Walks In The Wood
    Do Something
    Fast Company
    Guilty Of The Crime
    I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
    Last Good Time In Town
    Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture

I will add to my list Somebody, that I didn't really appreciate till I saw it live and then I couldn't believe I hadn't caught onto that one earlier. I also have a whole new appreciatation for Long Road Out Of Eden after seeing it live but I will admit, I still skip over it more than listen to it on the album.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yeah, it was nearly an out of body experience when we finally got a new cd from the Eagles! lol

1. Waiting in the Weeds
    2. Somebody
    3. How Long
    4. Long Road Out of Eden
    5. No More Cloudy Days
    6. Center of the Universe
    7. Busy Being Fabulous
    8. What Do I Do
    9. No More Walks
    10. Do Something
    11. Business As Usual
    12. Guilty

I made my list and then went back to see what I had down before. Funny, very similar nearly 2 years ago!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brooke
    My picks, in no particular order are:

1. No More Walks in the Wood
    2. How Long
    3. Busy Being Fabulous
    4. Waiting in the Weeds
    5. No More Cloudy Days
    6. Long Road Out of Eden
    7. Somebody
    8. Business as Usual
    9. Center of the Universe
    10.Last Good Time in Town
    11.You Are Not Alone
    I'm sticking with my original list except for LGTIT. I just like GOTC better. I do have an order in how much I like the songs now though and here that is:

1. Waiting In The Weeds
    2. Somebody
    3. How Long
    4. Long Road Out of Eden
    5. Busy Being Fabulous
    6. Center of the Universe
    7. No More Walks In the Woods
    8. No More Cloudy Days
    9. You Are Not Alone
    10.Business As Usual
    11.Guilty of the Crime

Edited to add:
    12.Do Something
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

With the 10-minute running time of Long Road Out of Eden, I think 12 songs might not even fit on any disc that includes it! Part of the reason they went double, I think - to accommodate such a long song.

My 12 would be:

1. How Long
    2. Busy Being Fabulous
    3. What Do I Do with My Heart
    4. Waiting in the Weeds
    5. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
    6. Guilty of the Crime
    7. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
    8. Somebody
    9. Business As Usual
    10. You Are Not Alone
    11. No More Cloudy Days
    12. Center of the Universe

Here is my list from the old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts
    If I were to make it a single disc, I would include...

1 How Long
    2 Busy Being Fabulous
    3 What Do I Do With My Heart
    4 Waiting in the Weeds
    5 Do Something
    6 You Are Not Alone
    7 I Dreamed There Was No War
    8 Somebody
    9 Last Good Time in Town
    10 I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
    11 Business As Usual
    12 Center of the Universe

The only reason I don't include NMCD is because we've heard it on Farewell 1 - otherwise it totally would have been on there!
    Pretty much no change at all, except for the the Joe and Tim tracks. I think I included them on my original list because they were written by Eagles whereas the other songs are covers.

Another video I made off of the album:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5yxXj1bhJM[/ame]

Wooow....remembering back to the day that it came out eh? I remember I was freaking out! Everybody at Walmart was sick of me asking "Did they come yet? Did they come yet? Are they here?" I was constantly going into our backroom to see if the trucks had arrived, eagerly ripping open each box to see if it was them! I remember proudly assembling a display to put the cd's on with F1 playing on the tv's in the background. I remember making a sign about how long it had been since they had released a studio album and I remember a customer coming up to my manager and saying that it was wrong and my manager saying "no, trust me...it's not. Maleah made it and you won't find a bigger fan than her." I remember buying 4 copies....er.....you know....for gifts and all. I was highly disappointed that we never got the carboard standups that were talked about because I had already called dibs on all of them. Ah yes....the memories of having to refill our display at least 4 times a day because they flew out of there so fast.

And that's just leading up to everything and finally getting them in stock! THEN there's the excitement of ripping all the packaging off of my copy and placing it in the cd player for the first time. I listened through each song with a big stupid grin on my face. My sister called as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot and I said "not now....I'm listening to it." Yes...I didn't even have to expand on what "it" was......I'm sure she just rolled her eyes and ended the call because I'd been talking about it for months!

I love every song on the cd, with the exception of a couple. Some of my favorite Eagles songs EVER are on here! My favorite by far is Waiting in the Weeds....I don't think you could find a better written song!

If I had to narrow it down to 12 for a single disc...it would be:

1. Waiting in the Weeds
    2. How Long
    3. Long Road Out of Eden
    4. What Do I Do With My Heart
    5. Center of the Universe
    6. Somebody
    7. Guilty of the Crime
    8. Busy Being Fabulous
    9. No More Cloudy Days
    10. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
    11. No More Walks In The Woods
    12. You Are Not Alone

I think I'd have to add "You Are Not Alone" on there as a bonus track
    I can see why they made it a 2 cd set though because I have a hard time eliminating a lot of them!