Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Default Re: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Can't believe it was three yrs ago already. I think it was a fitting addition to their legacy and will hold the test of time like their previous works. They each have a way of telling the truth and explaining circumstances that stay relevant even as times change. I think that similar ability is one of things that make the Eagles so bonded and go together so well. Different voices and expressions, but similar messages. LROOE has since become on of my favorite live songs as well. The meaningful, powerful lyrics, Joe and Steu's pin-ya-to-the-wall chords...just beautiful.
    I was also at the 9/25/08 show. And the next night was the night that has sustained me in my dark times since then....September 26, 2008 was my M&G with Joe! Those beautiful golden eyes staring into mine....those huge, warm, soft hands holding mine.....his forehead against mine....holy sheepdip....memories that'll last my lifetime.
    Will we ever see another Eagles record? To quote Glenn (hopefully) "Yeah...we'll be doing this forever."
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree with just about everything already said about Long Road Out of Eden. It seems almost impossible that it's been 3 years since its release. Although I don't think it is the best album the band recorded, it sure stands up VERY well against the others, IMHO. I think we sometimes take it for granted, but it was a remarkable feat that the album debuted at No. 1 here in the U.S. and sold 7 million copies after 29 years since the band's previous studio album. If that doesn't make a statement about the staying power of this band, then I don't know what does.

Congratulations on 3 years
    Long Road Out of Eden!

You still sound new to me!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This album came out just when I needed it most! 2007 will most likely go down as the worst year of my entire life with several deaths in my family and 3 weeks after the release of LROOE, I lost my father to terminal cancer also. This cd was literally my lifeline for the 3 weeks between the time it came out & my father's death, and it was my constant companion as I traveled everyday from my home 45 minutes away to my parents and for several weeks after my father's death in helping get things straightened away for my mother.

I remember it arriving in the mail the day it came out and literally shaking as I opened it. I bet I looked at every inch of the cd that night. Just couldn't believe we had something new from my favorite band of the last 30+ years.

Thank you Eagles indeed!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Thank you Eagles for this fantastic album!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow! Three years already?! My how time flies!

I really love this album, along with all their others! Yup......the Eagles are the greatest! Thanks guys!

How about another one?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

The amazing thing about this is that the album is three years old and I am only now about to see some of the songs performed.

I wish in a way they had come here when the album was still new and they hadn't dropped Somebody, because I really wanted to see that. There are still some songs on the album I would much prefer to see played live than a couple that I know I will see. I am actually quite apprehensive about these shows & really don't know what to expect (even whether or not Don will play drums).

I love the album & honestly think it could be on its way to becoming my favourite Eagles album. That is one reason I wish they could have showcased a couple more of the songs or even rotated them because they are all worthy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    I was also at the 9/25/08 show. And the next night was the night that has sustained me in my dark times since then....September 26, 2008 was my M&G with Joe! Those beautiful golden eyes staring into mine....those huge, warm, soft hands holding mine.....his forehead against mine....holy sheepdip....memories that'll last my lifetime.
    Jiminy Christmas woman, what are you trying to do to me???!!!

Happy anniversary to LROOE. It flamed the spark I had for the Eagles so much so that I found this board and went to see them three times in 2008,2009 and 2010. So glad I did!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Just thought I'd give this a mention as we wind down our week of celebrating the 3rd anniversary of Long Road Out of Eden. A little bit more trivia - the album was released on October 30th, 2007 which was Tim's 60th birthday. It hit #1 in the U.K. later that week on November 3rd, which was the first time the band had ever hit #1 in the U.K. Then on November 6th, Glenn's 59th birthday, the album hit #1 in the U.S. All in all, not a bad birthday present for those two guys that year, I'd say.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I knew that about the release date being on Tim's birthday, but not about it hitting #1 on Glenn's! Thanks for that info, Dreamer!

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Here's a idea-we need to start a thread for songs like Dirty Laundry, Get Over It or some of the others that are so controversial -I can only imagine after seeing this thread what those also would end up being like.
    I would enjoy that tremendously! So many things should aggravate me, but just slide past in the spirit of the song. Also, regarding the songwriting split someone mentioned, I recall reading that Glenn and Don just "shouted stanzas at each other," which seems indicative of a level partnership in the writing process.

I vividly recall purchasing this album.... I had never entered a Walmart before. "They sell what there? Oh, so it's like Walgreens. No? Oh, so it's like Target. No? Whatever. Where do I find the bloody cd? And why can't I just download it on iTunes?"

I skipped Waiting in the Weeds for almost two years after purchasing before actually listening and realizing it's far and away the best track on the album, imho. "A small gray spider spinning in the dark in spite of all the times the web is torn apart..." Love it.