Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

I'll share my thoughts (anything to avoid revision! )

No More Walks in the Wood - Not a fan. It sounds like exactly what it is - a poem. Not even the harmonies can save it.
    How Long - Probably the most listenable song on the album. I prefer the 70s version for it's grittiness, but definitely one of the stronger songs on the album.
    Busy Being Fabulous - Decent lyrically, and I like the video, but something just doesn't click with it for me.
    What Do I Do with My Heart - Superb, Glenn's voice near the end is one of the best I've known him do with the Eagles. I love the mellow feeling to the song.
    Guilty of the Crime - The better of Joe's vocal contributions to the album. It's a bit like How Long, a good old-school country rocker that's very listenable and has a good sing-along chorus.
    I Don't Want to Hear Any More - Reminds me of Dr. Hook (that's a good thing ). I'm very fond of TBS's contributions to LROOE, it finally feels like he came into the fold of songwriting and production.
    Waiting in the Weeds - Probably my second favourite song on the album. Love the acoustic vibe and the mandolin, and is one of Henley's better leads on the album. I love the 'I've been biding time...' verse, absolutely superb songwriting.
    No More Cloudy Days - I've expressed before how I'm not a fan of this song, it feels like LTBS or TGFY off of Hell Freezes Over, a bit bland and musically uninspiring.
    Fast Company - Dear God no.
    Do Something - Another good country number, and probably my favourite TBS vocal with the Eagles. Unlike some on hear, I actually like Don's line and contribution, just adds another extra dimension to it.
    You Are Not Alone - Beautiful song. I believe Glenn wrote it with his daughter in mind (or something) but the words mean something to us all, always worth remembering if you're down. Also probably the best showcase of Glenn's multi-instrumental and arranging talents.
    Long Road Out of Eden - An absolute masterpiece, if they'd have written it back in the 70s it would be their most-lorded work. I love the Arabic-themed music, Joe's solo, Don and Glenn's harmonising and most of all the lyrics. Only one to hold a candle to The Last Resort in that regard. My favourite on the album and in my top 5 Eagles songs ever.
    I Dreamed There Was No War - Beautiful and touching in equal measure. Fully deserving of its Grammy, and I can only wish Glenn would play it live with the guys (imagine him on guitar and Joe on keyboard to start the second set!).
    Somebody - Glenn's vocals here are excellent, on a par with the likes of NKIT and Lyin' Eyes for me. The way he sneers 'And he's calling you home' is probably my favourite delivery of a line on the album, so chilling.
    Frail Grasp on the Big Picture - I love the words, I hate the music. Much like Fast Company, it's so ill-fitting.
    Last Good Time in Town - The chorus is the only redeeming feature.
    I Love to Watch a Woman Dance - Again going against the grain, I love it. Probably would have been better suited to After Hours but it's a beautiful song.
    Business As Usual - The more I listen to it, the less I dislike it. Not really much else to say on that one.
    Center of the Universe - I like this a lot. It's very good musically and lyrically reminds me of Best of My Love or similar, kind of sentimental but very blunt with the message. I hope that makes sense...
    It's Your World Now - Not the strongest song to end on, but I can deal with it. I do like the finishing on a positive note, arguably only the first album and OOTN do the same.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I agree that I Love to Watch a Woman Dance would've been better suited for After Hours. It has the 40s/50s feel to it. Personally, after 10 seconds of the song, I was ready to hit the skip button. It immediately rubbed me the wrong way.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Thanks for your thoughts, tlr. It really is a good album, even if the Eagles pretend it doesn't exist in terms of playing anything from it live.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that's more suited but I can't find it, so here we are: for those of you fortunate enough to see the guys on this tour, did Don do drumming (or percussion) on any of the LROOE songs? I've seen footage of him up front for HL, WITW, LROOE and GOTC but I was wondering what he did for the likes of IDWTHAM and Somebody? Also, was it on this tour on the current one that Crago moved to the main kit for RMW?

I saw two clips of Don on the percussions for IDWTHA.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here that's more suited but I can't find it, so here we are: for those of you fortunate enough to see the guys on this tour, did Don do drumming (or percussion) on any of the LROOE songs? I've seen footage of him up front for HL, WITW, LROOE and GOTC but I was wondering what he did for the likes of IDWTHAM and Somebody? Also, was it on this tour on the current one that Crago moved to the main kit for RMW?
    Scott started playing drums for both RMW & LITFL on the LROOE tour. Don only played percussion on lDWTHAM as stated. I have to say it made me even more dubious that he played any drums at all on the actual album. He is credited; but we don't know which songs he plays on.

Border Troubadour

Thanks both, IDWTHAM makes sense as it doesn't really strike me as being a Henley-friendly guitar tab, it's very slow and staccato.

FP - I feel the same too, I even extend that thought to Joe for some songs. For example, I just can't imagine Don playing the military-style snare at the very end of LROOE, it's got Scott's fluidity written all over it. I honestly get the feeling that if he could, Don wouldn't play the drums at all in concerts.

One thing I did notice about the album as a whole is the use of machine-sounding percussion vice drums in some songs - see the first half of HITW (it's an extra on the UK release so counts ) and LGTIT.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks both, IDWTHAM makes sense as it doesn't really strike me as being a Henley-friendly guitar tab, it's very slow and staccato.

FP - I feel the same too, I even extend that thought to Joe for some songs. For example, I just can't imagine Don playing the military-style snare at the very end of LROOE, it's got Scott's fluidity written all over it. I honestly get the feeling that if he could, Don wouldn't play the drums at all in concerts.

One thing I did notice about the album as a whole is the use of machine-sounding percussion vice drums in some songs - see the first half of HITW (it's an extra on the UK release so counts ) and LGTIT.
    I wouldn't go that far. I honestly thought the best aspect of the HOTE shows was watching him play. I thought he was really enjoying himself, particularly when he got to play on a couple of tracks he hadn't played on for decades.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. I honestly thought the best aspect of the HOTE shows was watching him play. I thought he was really enjoying himself, particularly when he got to play on a couple of tracks he hadn't played on for decades.
    Surely the best part of any Eagles concert is Glenn?

I can see what you mean, but I think if he loved playng Tequila Sunrise on the drums so much it wouldn't have taken him just short of two decades to do so (granted there's other factors to consider). I loved to see him on his simplified kit for WW and the likes of Doolin-Dalton, but I still get the impression he does it because that's what the punters expect.

I would love to know how he and Scott divide up duties though. For example, why play drums on Already Gone and Life's Been Good, but not for Funk #49 or The Long Run? Why did he stop drumming on Life in the Fast Lane, yet still plays them consummately on One of These Nights or Hotel California?

Stuck on the Border

Surely the best part of any Eagles concert is Glenn?

I can see what you mean, but I think if he loved playng Tequila Sunrise on the drums so much it wouldn't have taken him just short of two decades to do so (granted there's other factors to consider). I loved to see him on his simplified kit for WW and the likes of Doolin-Dalton, but I still get the impression he does it because that's what the punters expect.

I would love to know how he and Scott divide up duties though. For example, why play drums on Already Gone and Life's Been Good, but not for Funk #49 or The Long Run? Why did he stop drumming on Life in the Fast Lane, yet still plays them consummately on One of These Nights or Hotel California?
    Unfortunately I was disappointed by Glenn's level of participation in HOTE. I had seen him in the AH tour & I had been spoiled. I thought he didn't have enough to do. His songs seemed to get buried. I've never seen him so low key.

I have no idea how Don chooses which songs he wishes to play drums on but regarding Funk #49 he's never done it. He probably thought LITFL was too fast. As for The Long Run I don't like the upfront with the hand mic stuff & I never have, but I seem to be alone in this opinion. I understand why he wants to be down the front for that song but because I basically don't like it I find it hard to enjoy it.

ETA: Don also played percussion on GOTC. I saw this & IDWTHAM the grand total of once before both were dropped. I saw Somebody 3 times in 4 nights.

A comment was made in the BBF thread about Somebody sounding more like a Frey solo song. This has also been said on numerous occasions about ILTWAWD & could, in fact, be said about all Glenn's songs on this album with the exception of How Long (or WDIDWMH because of Don's co-lead). I would submit, however, that Somebody gets closer to the Eagles than his ballads because it has great harmonies by Don & Tim & great guitar & organ work.

So why is this the case, more than for the other members' songs? I think he wanted to reassert himself as a singer & to do that the songs he did had to be primarily vocal showcases. In the case of the lyrics they are extremely personal which was a first for him in terms of Eagles songs. YANA & IYWN are HIS songs in terms of what he's saying, even thought Don called IYWN important.

As a Frey fan while I accept that people feel his songs on this album sound more like solo songs, I think it's a shame that people also seem to like them less for that very reason. It isn't an ideal situation but it is what happened. The entire album to some extent could be described as a collection of solo songs. It's just more obvious for some reason on Glenn's songs.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-21-2015 at 10:57 PM.