Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    ETA - As for NMWITW - that is the other song that I don't like - yes it has the famous Eagles harmonies and they sound great on it but that song just bugs me and as I normally listen to the CD in the car, I have to skip it, as it leads to road rage
    As I've said in my review above, I too don't like this song. Their harmonies are as tight as any other song they've ever done, but singing a poem just does not work; not even the perfectly pristine delivery of it can mask the fact it was written to be spoken. As such I still prefer their other famous harmonies (SBR, Lyin' Eyes, D-D/D(R), BOML etc) much more than I ever could for NMWITW, despite arguably the delivery being better.

One example that comes to mind is one of my favoruite songs ever, Black Oak Arkansas's version of Dixie (that's a YT link to it, it's safe to click). Their harmonies, whilst decent, are nowhere near as good as the Eagles', yet because what they are harmonising is a song it is much more pleasant and flowing; NMWITW, whilst I appreciate it probably means a lot to Don, just doesn't work for me.

(I appreciate a song named Dixie probably isn't the best thing to link to given events in SC this last week, but I trust you all see why I used it as an example.)

Banned

I think the Eagles sound grew more and more distinctive, musically, as the 70s progressed. The Walsh/Felder dual guitar sound became a classic Eagles trademark. I'm sure Szymczyk has something to do with it too.

As I posted in the Busy Being Fabulous thread. I'd say the sound of the Long Road Out Of Eden album was pretty generic with studio musicians providing sounds to order, that previously the band would dwell, compromise and agonise over.

Glenn's songs do sound like solo tracks, except What Do I Do With My Heart which he should've given to a boyband but with a little tinkering, I don't think they're too far from the, pre-Joe era, Eagles hits.

Henley's material is, pretty much, like his solo material but I like Henley's solo material, just maybe it's sometimes a little rich for a multi genre spanning band. It's not like the Eagles to have songs that are difficult to sin-a-long to. I'm not sure about the Joe and Tim's tracks. Neither Eagles or solo sounding to me.

There are exceptions, the title track is ambitious enough to be an Eagles track. Center Of The Universe and How Long wouldn't be out of place on Their Greatest Hits album. Fast Company would sound right at home on The Long Run.

I'm not sure what the (new) covers add to the record. They made a rather weak opening to the LROOE concerts imo.

I still like Long Road Out Of Eden... and very much look forward to the next one.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    As I've said in my review above, I too don't like this song. Their harmonies are as tight as any other song they've ever done, but singing a poem just does not work; not even the perfectly pristine delivery of it can mask the fact it was written to be spoken. As such I still prefer their other famous harmonies (SBR, Lyin' Eyes, D-D/D(R), BOML etc) much more than I ever could for NMWITW, despite arguably the delivery being better.

One example that comes to mind is one of my favoruite songs ever, Black Oak Arkansas's version of Dixie (that's a YT link to it, it's safe to click). Their harmonies, whilst decent, are nowhere near as good as the Eagles', yet because what they are harmonising is a song it is much more pleasant and flowing; NMWITW, whilst I appreciate it probably means a lot to Don, just doesn't work for me.

(I appreciate a song named Dixie probably isn't the best thing to link to given events in SC this last week, but I trust you all see why I used it as an example.)
    I like NMWITW when it gets to the 'when branches were the sky' part & the harmonies soar. But almost straight away the line 'and you, for ill, and I, are only passing by' ruins it. It's one of the clumsiest, most awkward sets of words I've ever heard put in a poem let alone a song. I don't even know what 'for ill' means in this context because the phrase is usually 'for good or ill'.

As for the comment about WDIDWMH should have been given to a boy band I guess people are extremely hard to please.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

While WDIDWMH is far from my favorite song on LROOE, I don't think that it should be sung by a boy band. To me, that kind of song sounds better coming from a guy who's been there ( loved and lost ).
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Troubadour

WDIDWMH is a great song; much like New Kid in Town the final third or so of it is an incredible coming together of various sounds, in this case Glenn and Don's voices playing each other off - the former's is one of my favourite Eagles vocal displays.

I actually love WDIDWMH. That's my favorite song from the album and my top 5 song that Glenn sings. When I first heard that song, I use to play it over and over again. Even I hear it on Pandora or IHeart, I turn up the volume.

I think I read don't like Do something. I like it along with IDWTHAM. It's something about LROOE album that I like. Maybe because this album came out when I actually was alive. Meaning. With the exception of LR(even it came out in 1979), I wasn't born yet with the 70s. Of course their are songs I don't like on the album, but overall. I love the album.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It's not like the Eagles to have songs that are difficult to sin-a-long to.
    F50, while I may or may not have done such a thing a time or two, did you mean 'sing'? I have to ask..
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Hey, according to a few of my church members, I sin when I sing along to Hotel California. (true story that happened to me that I'll never forget)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Yes, there are churches like that. Fortunately, I've always gone to ones who felt differently!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    F50, while I may or may not have done such a thing a time or two, did you mean 'sing'? I have to ask..

Deary, dear, Thanks for pointing out that error VA
    kinda works both ways, though, doesn't it

I'm quite fond of What Do I Do With My Heart once it gets past the puny keyboard/drum machine opening. Not too difficult to sing-a-long with either