Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Default Re: Happy Anniversary Long Road Out of Eden!

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    To be honest, I "get" what Don was trying to do with the song. I just don't like the song. I don't like anything about it. lol Even if I didn't find the lyrics to be condescending, I still wouldn't like the melody or (shock shock) the way he sings it. lol It has nothing to do with being a Christian because, believe me, I know the assumptions that a lot of people have with that and I also know the impression that a lot of "christians" give off. lol I don't know....I can't really explain why the lyrics annoy me in a way that makes sense. I just don't like the impression that he gives off in the song. Oh well....I won't lose any sleep over it.
    I think what bothers me about this song is the way Henley seems to look down on regular people. The way he mocks working class guys whom he considers to be unenlightened... the way he sneers at people who pray for things that he considers trivial... It's so freaking arrogant and condescending. "I'm so much better than the ignorant masses."

The Capitol Gold interview actually made me like the song even less because he reveals that the people he's mocking, the ones that pray at football games, are just regular folks hoping the game goes well.

"[In Texas] football is right up there next to God and Mom and the flag and apple pie. And there's always a prayer before the games. And sometimes the prayer asks... I mean, they used to come out and just ask outright for victory, but now they just sort of pray that nobody gets hurt, which is fine, but... you know, they ask the Lord to watch over this football game, as if the Lord has nothing else to do. As if the universe is so small that the Lord has time to watch football games."

Obviously Henley believes that HE knows what the Lord cares about, unlike those stupid suckers, eh? I love how he begrudgingly admits that nowadays the prayers are for kids not to get hurt!

That kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Hmmm... I don't get that vibe of looking down at the working class at all. I guess it's just different view points we all see it from. Honestly, I kinda get what he's saying. I feel it's kinda odd to pray for a sporting event, even though I, myself, have done it. I mean, w/a world at war, does God really car if my kid makes a goal on her birthday? I dunno? (hand gesture of scale tipping) Keeping soldier safe (tips scale), kids scores a goal.

If nothing else, it sure makes for an interesting topic of discussion. Personally, my favorite line is, "Jouralism is dead and gone." I absolutely feel that way.

I feel it's kinda odd to pray for a sporting event, even though I, myself, have done it. I mean, w/a world at war, does God really car if my kid makes a goal on her birthday? I dunno? (hand gesture of scale tipping) Keeping soldier safe (tips scale), kids scores a goal.
    Why does it have to be one or the other? If your kid comes home from school and wants to talk about a problem he's having - even if it's a little problem - do you tell him to shut up because you have more important things to worry about?

I have to side with LTL On this one, I mean unless something bad happens, I wouldn't pray for a football game. JMO.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Why does it have to be one or the other? If your kid comes home from school and wants to talk about a problem he's having - even if it's a little problem - do you tell him to shut up because you have more important things to worry about?
    It doesn't have to be one or the other, thus why many people, self included, pray for small things. As for as telling my kid to shut up... I'm not God... my kids are my grand scheme, my priority... I don't have a world to control, just my family unit.

I know this is kind of out of left field but LROOE week is just about to end and before it does so, I wanted to post my final two videos that I made from album songs!

Waiting in the Weeds

Guilty of the Crime

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WOW--One little song has made for pages and pages of discussion. Love this!

I can actually see everyone's side (isn't that diplomatic of me?) but I also agree with whoever (my mind is spinning so I don't remember who) made the point that he isn't necessarily mocking religion but how people use it. I can't get started on this subject or I will use up 5 pages all by myself and it's inevitable I will p*ss more than 1 person off in that discussion.

As far as Don looking down his nose at the common guy-I don't see it that way.

Here's a idea-we need to start a thread for songs like Dirty Laundry, Get Over It or some of the others that are so controversial -I can only imagine after seeing this thread what those also would end up being like.

This is very interesting stuff to me! Love a great discussion like this.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quite an interesting discussion. Personally, I like FG, but don't read so much into the lyrics. Yep, social commentary, but I find it rather amusing, tongue in cheek.

That being said, I wrote a review of LROE about a year ago when I purchased the CD (late comer ). Going back to read it, I would make some definite changes to what I wrote - I didn't "love" Waiting in the Weeds" the first couple of times I heard it, but it's become my favorite on the CD, and one of my favorite Eagles songs.

The song is so simple, yet so complex....the interlude after

He's the darling of the chic
    The flavor of the week is melting
    Down your pretty summer dress
    Baby, what a mess you're making

is just layers upon layers of melody that are interwoven like a fine tapestry. Gives me chills every time I hear it. (And what great allegory that is...the double entrendre of making a mess not only of the clothing, but of her life in general.)

WITW is a masterpiece, IMO. And I totally sold it short in my first review with a simple line and note that the piano solo at the end is very "Hornsby-esque" (which it is. )

The old review...
    It's been a long time since The Eagles put out a new studio CD. In fact, it was 1979...days of feathered hair, 3 Mile Island, and the beginning of the Iran Hostage Crisis. While I'm a huge fan of the band, I love the old stuff. Give me Hotel California. A side dish of Tequila Sunrise. Maybe a bit of Lyin' Eyes for dessert, or perhaps some Wasted Time.

Since I love the "old" Eagles, Long Road Out of Eden (released 2007) was not high on my list of CDs to purchase - I liked How Long (a breezy rock-a-billy tune) when I'd heard it on soccer-mom radio, but I was in no big hurry to purchase the single or the CD.

Enter September 2008...for the fifth time, The Eagles announced that they would be coming to Omaha, and I knew that despite my best intentions and lame excuses ("I've seen them before", "It's a lot of money", "I have a very busy art show that day") that I'd be going the concert.

So shortly after picking up my tickets, I decided to pick up Eden as I'd heard that the tour set list would feature a number of the newer songs. I knew I wanted to be prepared, and not be bored when the new stuff came up (during a recent Elton John concert, I and the rest of the crowd found the "new songs" were a good time to go to the beer line or to the ladies' room....)

After listening to just the opening harmonies of No More Walks in the Wood, I knew this was going to be a good CD. Change that...a great CD. The voices of Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, and yes, even Joe Walsh, sound as good as they did 20, 30 years ago. The instrumentals were crisp and melodious...and the music and lyrics fit right in with all my "old" favorites.

On to the music.

Disc One is a bit more on the country rock side, the accoustic set of No More Walks starts things out with the tight harmonies that The Eagles are famous for, and the aforementioned How Long as the second cut. In How Long, Frey and Henley trade verses, with terrific harmonies on the chorus. This song will make you want to get up and dance, no matter where you are! The fourth track, What Do I Do With My Heart is about a wrenching breakup and reduces me to tears every time I hear it. Again, Frey and Henley take the lead, able to do both the lyrics and the tune complete justice.

Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit also get their opportunity to sing lead on this CD - Walsh's Guilty of the Crime follows What Do I Do With My Heart. (I'm thinking the producers probably put it there as comic relief so listeners didn't go driving off the closest bridge in angst...).

I've never been a big fan of Schmit, and frankly, the first time I heard I Don't Want To Hear Any More (track 6), I wondered who the girl was singing with the band. So yes, if you are fan of Tim's voice and style, you'll get it here. I like the second "Tim" song on Disc One - Do Something - better - the lyrics are excellent advice for today's economic climate, and in general, the victim mentality that seems to perpetuate today's society. I find myself grinning at the line "You're not ready for the rocking chair" every time I hear it - maybe a little jab at themselves?

Frey's No More Cloudy Days is a light pop song that reminds me of Peaceful Easy Feeling. Henley's Waiting in the Weeds is along the same genre - both songs flow along, observing life and love with the lead singer taking the verses; the rest of the band joins in on choruses with harmonies that are so tight, you can barely pull a single voice from the mix. Weeds has a lovely piano solo at the end that's very Bruce Hornsby-ish.

The remainder of the songs on Disc One are exceptional as well - the only one I do not care for is Henley's Fast Company. It's a disco-y, fast dance tune that capitalizes on Henley's falsetto and just rings wrong for me.

Disc Two rocks harder, beginning with the title track. Long Road Out of Eden is a social commentary on war and the excesses of the American people. The guitar solo is about as "hard" as The Eagles get, and it's apt to make you pick up your Air Guitar to play along. Ending with a militaristic drum cadence, this track quickly became one of my favorites.

I Dreamed There Was No War follows Eden, a short (1:3 instrumental that is a nice companion for the title track, which weighs in at a hefty 10:17.

Frey rocks and sneers about retribution in Somebody...I'm looking forward to seeing this song in concert. I love it when Glenn plays to the lyrics, and this song is well suited to his personality.

Last Good Time in Town is another Walsh tune - typical of Joe the Clown of the band, it sounds a bit like a remake of Life's Been Good.

I Love to Watch a Woman Dance is a nice waltz sung by Frey - easy and slow, you can grab your partner and sway to the melody as you hum along.

Henley's Center of the Universe is another easy ballad, with a one-time chorus that I love.
    This is not the center of the universe
    But that's alright with me.
    This is not the center of the universe
    But it's where I want to be.

Other tracks on Disc Two receive high honors - Business as Usual and It's Your World Now are excellent tracks that will have you singing along after just a few plays. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture (Track 4) is another social commentary song - a bit dance mix, but more likeable and singable than Fast Company.

If you have a choice, purchase the Deluxe Version of Long Road Out of Eden, which contains Hole in the World (commentary on post-9/11 life) and Please Come Home for Christmas (Henley's bluesy holiday love song). The Deluxe Version also comes with a nice, fabric covered book that holds the two CDs and contains all lyrics, credits and sepia-toned photos of the band and scenery from the filming of the How Long video.

Don Henley stated in an interview with CNN that "This is probably the last Eagles album that we'll ever make" and I hope he's wrong. While I can certainly understand being ready to take it easy or slow down, Long Road Out of Eden has me hungering for more from the band.

It's that good. Really.
    As far as listening to the CD, I keep it in my car and play it at least once a week (I spend way too much time in my car....), plus it gets heavy play on my iPod. I tend to skip the songs I don't like so much, but once in a while, I "force" myself to listen front to back to make sure I haven't changed my mind about one.

FWIW, I could listen to I Dreamed There Was No War over and over again for hours. Wish it was longer, but I understand why it wasn't.
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter

Great discussion. I will not get too much into the subject but no matter how small a prayer may seem to some, that same small prayer is great to the one praying. God is the only one who can decide which ones hold more priority over the other.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yes, all this is very interesting. Even though I don't usually get in to these much, I do enjoy everyone else's comments.

FG is one I can listen to, but definitely not a favorite. I'm a bit taken aback by it as some of the rest of you. Actually, I agree pretty much 100% with everything Soda said about it. I can't add anything to that or think of anything to say that hasn't been said.

I'd have to say FFL summed it all up for me above.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten