Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Default Re: What's For Dinner?

I call this. Ol' 55 Pumpkin upside down cake.

1 Lg Can Pumpkin 1 Yellow Cake Mix

I cup Chopped Pecan or Walnuts 1 stick Parkay

Cool Whip ( for garnish)

Preheat oven to 360 degrees

Mix Pumpkin as directed for pie. Pour into 9x13 Cake pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over top pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle nuts over cake mix then drizzle melted parkay over all.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. let set until cooled then cut piece and flip it over where pumpkin filling is on top and garnish with cool whip and serve.

Holiday Hotel California Cookies

HA!

auntmeda:}

That's good Mel

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

"You cant hide your fryin thighs" fried chicken

This is NOT an everyday dish. Im sure the fat content of this dish probably equals that of a bucket of lard (which you CAN use in substitute of the bacon grease). I make this once a year for my Dad's birthday. This is his mom's recipe (She was from Kentucky/Missouri) and his traditional birthday dinner with greenbeans and bacon, mashed potatoes and gravy and strawberry short cake for dessert. (THANK GOD it's just once a year.)

about 3 or 4 lbs chicken parts (I prefer thighs and legs and I always cut the breasts in half)
    1 pint butter milk
    2/3rds cup Corn Meal
    2/3rds cup flour
    1 1/2 tbsp salt
    pepper to taste
    1 egg
    1 tsp tabasco sauce
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 cup peanut oil (of 1/2 peanut oil/ half bacon grease)

cooling rack
    cookie sheet
    cast iron skillet
    Tongs

Wash the chicken parts under cool running water after fully defrosting. Mix one half of the buttermilk, half of the salt and place the chicken in a deep sided bowl. Pour buttermilk/salt mixture over it and soak over night. Drain the chicken and rinse it clean.
    Mix the flour, corn meal salt and onion powder in a shallow wide bowl. Mix the egg, rest of the butter milk, and tabasco in another shallow bowl and whisk till mixed. Place the cooling rack on the cookie sheet. Dip the chicken in the flour/cornmeal, shake it off and dip in the egg/buttermilk, let it drip off, then dip into the flour butter milk mixture again. Lay on the cooling rack till all pieces are coated like this.
    Pour your oil up to 1/2 inch in the cast iron skillet and place over medium heat. When they oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down to low and add the chicken one piece at a time. Do not over fill the pan! Brown on each side, when the heat is simmering, cover the skillet and leave on low heat for about 30 minutes or till the meat begins to seperate from the bone (low and slow is the secert here. Keep it covered and keep the heat just at a simmer). Drain on paper towels.
    If you do not have a skillet large enough to cook all your chicken, an electric skillet works well with this (I usually have two or even three going at once making this) Be careful in turning the chicken as you dont want the coating to come off. The fond in the bottom of the pan makes incredible gravy!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Good one Rhonda!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

lol!! Great title! From the Dreams thread, I was afraid you were concocting some combo of Lyin Eyes Chili, Already Gone Cookies, LROOE BBQ brisket, and pecan pie! (Oooh, I've been wanting to use that smiley...yea!!)

Exactly how big a bucket would one use?

Thanks for the recipes fellow Borderers!

A special thanks to Ticky for submitting something that has been in her family for so long!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I dredged this thread up because I ran across something today I had never heard of before. Anyone else ever heard of or tried Navy Bean Pie? A friend of mine is a big fan of it and has had it in other parts of the country (he was a long haul trucker for 18 years) and he introduced me to it. Interesting stuff and quite tasty... its actually a sweet dessert not unlike a pumpkin pie (most of the same ingredients) except that you use pureed cooked navy beans instead of pumpkin... It came as a big surprise to me!

I've never heard of it, but it sounds healthy!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Never heard of such a thing. I wonder what part of the country that originates from.
    He sings it high, he plays it low