Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What's For Dinner?

Default Re: What's For Dinner?

Willie, I have several recipes that I've made - what kind of cheesecake was it - baked? Or just chilled & set? Any extra flavours (chocolate crust or fruit topping?), or just plain?

I'm sure between us all we can pin this down!
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

It was a Blueberry cheesecake and was baked I remember. But when I called MIL yesterday, she claims it was nothing more than cream cheese and cool whip and blueberry pie filling. NO WAY!! She's slipping and I believe that's probably why she did the last few times, but 20 years ago or so, it was the real thing!

Are they really as difficult and time consuming to bake as you hear? I've always used the chill kind and just might go that way if I can't "handle" the other one. I really don't know why baking is such a chore for me when I can cook about anything else.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Last night was frozen pizza night... Tonight?! Not sure. Probably something quick n' easy too!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    It was a Blueberry cheesecake and was baked I remember. But when I called MIL yesterday, she claims it was nothing more than cream cheese and cool whip and blueberry pie filling. NO WAY!! She's slipping and I believe that's probably why she did the last few times, but 20 years ago or so, it was the real thing!

Are they really as difficult and time consuming to bake as you hear? I've always used the chill kind and just might go that way if I can't "handle" the other one. I really don't know why baking is such a chore for me when I can cook about anything else.
    I dont think the recipe for cheese cake is as important as the process of putting it together. My Mom's favorite cheese cake recipe is a simple no bake cheese cake topped with fresh huckleberries in a simple syrup! there ya go!! cant get easier then that but if you want to bake a "real" cheese cake, pay attention to the process. Personally I use half cream cheese and half marscapone. Marscapone is a little lighter and will rise better and gives a real creamy feel to the finished product. Second, separate your eggs and whip your white (this is a personal preference. If you like a fluffier cheese cake this works, but it does make it slightly drier. If you prefer a dense moist cheese cake, skip this step) fold in the whites after everything else has been mixed in, and always bake your cheese cake: 1- in a water bath, 2- in a spring form pan. You can add a cut out piece of parchment on the top before baking to keep it from splitting and cracking on the top. Making the topping is simple. Place your fresh berries (about 2 cups) in a sauce pan and add a cup of sugar and a cup of water, a tsp of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Cook this down stirring constantly till it's syrupy (remember, your syrup will thicken when its cool.) If you want a thick gel like topping then reduce the syrup to about 1/2 let it cool to warm and add it to the cheese cake before you remove it from the spring form pan and refrigerate for several hours. If you want to add the syrup after you cut and serve it (so its all drippy down the sides and puddles on the plate) reduce the syrup about 1/4 and refrigerate till you're ready to serve it. It's much easier then it sounds. Dont be intimidated. and Good luck!

I agree with Ticky the secret to a baked cheesecake is cooking it in a water bath, which is a very gentle cooking method. When done, turn the oven out, open the door slightly (I prop mine open with a cork!) and let it sit in there until completely cool (to prevent it cracking).

Also, for any baking (unless the recipe specifically says not to): have your ingredients at room temperature before you start which makes everything mix together more easily.

If you haven't done it before, a "water bath" sounds way more complicated than it is:

Get a couple of sheets of tinfoil and lay them on your bench in an x-shape

Sit your springform pan in the middle of the x

Pull the foil up around the edges of the pan, so that it sticks up

Sit the foil-wrapped pan in a bigger dish of water... it should come up about halfway.

Bung the whole lot in the preheated oven.
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks you guys!! Ticky, thanks for the detailed instructions. You've made it sound much easier then some of the recipes have. I plan to follow you and Kiwi's directions. I'm hoping to do it on Sunday. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I had a delicious vegetarian cottage pie tonight. Very yummy and easy to make!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    I had a delicious vegetarian cottage pie tonight. Very yummy and easy to make!
    Sounds good Troub - can you please post the recipe? (Or just a quick summary of what's in it!).
    Suzanne

Default What ya got cookin'

If we already have a recipe section, please delete.

What did you make for dinner?

Easy Beef Enchilada's

use 1-2 lbs of burger one big white onion, two cans of enchilada sauce ( we use mild and have to use the El Paso brand , shredded sharp cheddar cheese and corn tortilla shells.

Dice the onion and saute in pan
    WITH the diced onions in the pan
    Add the ground beef. Salt and pepper break into small pieces and brown

take the corn tortillas and heat them in the microwave a few seconds to make them easier to fold without tearing.

spoon the burger/onion mixture into each shell.
    Use glass baking dish
    Add cheese and roll. Repeat till all mixture is used.

pour the sauce mixture over each of the rolled shells making sure that every shell has been covered. Put the rest of the cheese all over the top. Cover with alum. Foil Bake at 350 for an hour.

YUMMY

Default Re: What ya got cookin'

Thanks SC. This sounds yummy and easy. I will definitely try this.