Page 18 of 60 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Song Survivor

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden Song Survivor

Maleah, I feel your pain! And LROOE is a magnificent song, and showcases Joe when he plays it live.

I'm going to risk some angst here, but for me the next song to go should be You Are Not Alone. It's a moving sentiment, but I feel it could have gone to a third verse.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

I find IDTWNW evocative too, Soda, but I draw the line at agreeing with the apparently high place it will apparently receive. I didn't mean to sound judgmental there, but I admit to surprise. But I don't agree with Brooke that a song has to have words for it to be effective. I cite one of my favourite instrumentals ever, Mark Knopfler's Going Home, which I suspect may have influenced Glenn.

I disagree about the use of the Middle Eastern music in LROOE. It gives the song that extra, haunting dimension that takes it to a new level. I don't think they have used those instruments as a 'gimmick' (and I also think the organ in Frail Grasp is clever too, not a gimmick). LROOE is perhaps the most ambitious piece of music the band has ever released (the entire song, I mean). And no, I don't like the song just because it has a 'message', although that helps. To me Don has written some amazingly evocative lyrics and when Glenn sings with him it climbs to heights I never thought the band could reach again. If I'm alone in my opinion of the title track, fair enough, I suppose.

Saying it's 'unusual' that people are voting off the message songs still makes sense to me because in recent times the message songs have dominated the band's output. I find a couple of the songs that are still in the game far too lightweight, even though they are necessary to the album, but again, that's personal opinion.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

could we, maybe, get a primer on all the initials??? *G* I get way confused over all that. OR maybe we could use one word names for the songs? Like "Dance" could be ILTWAWD or Road could be LROOE (which is actually one I DO know *G*) etc.. I dont have any problem with discussion over the songs, thats cool.. but my mind is reeling over the initials..

It's the Eagle's fault for making a good number of their song titles hideously long!

BAU = Business As Usual

BBF
    = Busy Being Fabulous

COTU
    = Center of the Universe

DS = Do Something (almost always written out)

FC = Fast Company (often written out)

FGOTBP
    = Frail Grasp on the Big Picture (sometimes referred to as "Frail Grasp")

GOTC
    = Guilty of the Crime

HL = How Long (usually written out)

IDTWNW = I Dreamed There Was No War

IDWTHAM
    = I Don't Want to Hear Any More (Note: sometimes people will mistakenly abbreviate this as IDWTHA due to combining the last two words into "anymore" rather than "any more")

ILTWAWD = I Love to Watch a Woman Dance

IYWN = It's Your World Now

LGTIT = Last Good Time in Town

LROOE
    = Long Road Out of Eden

NMCD = No More Cloudy Days

NMWITW
    = No More Walks in the Wood

WDIDWMH
    = What Do I Do with My Heart

WITW = Waiting in the Weeds

YANA = You Are Not Alone

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I disagree about the use of the Middle Eastern music in LROOE. It gives the song that extra, haunting dimension that takes it to a new level. I don't think they have used those instruments as a 'gimmick' (and I also think the organ in Frail Grasp is clever too, not a gimmick).
    I also love the Middle Eastern music in LROOE and the organ music in Frail Grasp.

LROOE is perhaps the most ambitious piece of music the band has ever released (the entire song, I mean)....To me Don has written some amazingly evocative lyrics and when Glenn sings with him it climbs to heights I never thought the band could reach again. If I'm alone in my opinion of the title track, fair enough, I suppose.
    You are not alone, FP. (ouch!)

I find a couple of the songs that are still in the game far too lightweight, even though they are necessary to the album, but again, that's personal opinion.
    "Necessary to the album"? FP, You make it sound as if the band has been forced to include feel-good songs to balance out the rest of the album. Both types of songs are equal, in that everyone has their own opinion as to their favorites.

I think of my song list here in front of me broken down into thirds. Fortunately for me, nothing in my top third has been voted off yet, and only one song in my middle third has been (FC). I can live with that. For me, it only gets really tough when my top third of songs start going. I empathise with any of you who are facing that already.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

WHEW thanks Soda *G*

Don't get me wrong, I think the middle eastern music is very fitting for the title song and it enhances the mood of the song greatly. I just don't like how long it is in the beginning. If the intro part was shorter I think it would be perfect, as I really like how it breaks down into that later in the song.

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan View Post
    Maleah, I feel your pain! And LROOE is a magnificent song, and showcases Joe when he plays it live.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvsdn97PLNc

You mean that little ole thing? Nah....that's really not that impressive....not at all...........er......excuse me as I pick my jaw up off the floor