Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

LOL, HB!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Well, yes, there's that whole taxes thing. As far as I know UPS, Fed EX, and USPS won't ship alcohol. It's flammable.
    So who ships it?

Note to self, must order!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Just ordered two bottles to ship to Dreamer. Shipping is over $20! I'm not sure what service they use.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

mine shipped the day after I ordered it...but I don't see anything on the shipping notice that says what shipper they use!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    mine shipped the day after I ordered it...but I don't see anything on the shipping notice that says what shipper they use!
    For mine, they used UPS because I had a note on the door that someone over 21 needs to sign for it. I plan to go pick it up at the UPS office this evening after work

I realized I never put any info about the show!

The VIP event before was not what I expected at all. It took place in some wealthy person's poolhouse and we were basically parking on their backyard. Jack Tempchin was there along with his manager - JD Souther did not come. I talked to both of them a while and Jack signed my CD and took a photo with me. He seemed surprised that I had a CD of his, lol. Most of the rest of the people all seemed to know each other so I kind of hovered about, had some finger foods and wine, made a friend, and waited for when it was time to head over to the field for the show.

And it was a field. I brought a blanket to spread out over the grass. There had been torrential rain on the way from Memphis (it was so bad I had to pull over twice because I couldn't see two yards in front of me. I was shaking in terror at one point when there was no place to pull over and I was driving blind). However, luckily, it hadn't been as bad over there and it wasn't terribly muddy. It didn't rain a drop while the acts were on!

Jack was before JD. He came out alone and sat down with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica; it was all very low-key.

Jack's set was as follows:

The One You Love
    The Loneliest Piano
    Your Tattoo
    You Belong to the City
    Amy
    Partytown
    Blowin' Tumbleweed
    Already Gone
    Slow Dancing
    Peaceful Easy Feeling

He told a lot of jokes and mentioned Glenn several times. A few I hadn't heard before:
    1) He met Glenn when Glenn and JD were doing a Longbranch Pennywhistle show at the same place he was performing. He said the owners of the club were these weird new-age types who were into pop psychology groups. The owners invited Glenn and JD to stay with them and Jack told them they didn't want to stay with weirdos like those people - they should stay with him! At the time, he lived with several other people in some communal hippie apartment to hear him tell it, lol. Glenn and JD accepted the invite, and they've been friends ever since!
    2) Glenn overheard him practicing Peaceful Easy Feeling while they were hanging out in 1971 and asked for the song for "my new band" which didn't even have a name at that time. Right after the Eagles got back from England after recording their album, Glenn threw a listening party at Jack's house because he had a machine that would play those big reels which is what Glenn had since it hadn't been pressed yet; thus, Jack was one of the first to hear it (and he thought it was the best album ever, of course)!
    3) Jack and the co-writer of Already Gone had originally gotten drunk and written it as a country song in 1970ish; Glenn heard them do it and a few years later, asked if the Eagles could record it... only Glenn thought it would be better as a rock song. Jack said OK. A few months later, he got a $5000 royalty check from it after it came out and it was the biggest he'd ever had in his life up to that point. He felt rich! He said thanks to the checks he gets from his Eagles material, he's set.

Again, Jack was very cool and approachable. A really nice guy! His manager knew about EOC, too, which was cool!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Thanks for that, Soda - very cool! He always seems like a nice, down to earth guy from his FB posts. I'm glad you had this experience!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Prett-y cool!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Thanks nancy. I enjoyed reading about your adventure

got my wine today!!!