Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati, OH 11-18-08

Default Cincinnati, OH 11-18-08

What do I do when the party ends.. cuz they were JUST TOO BUSY BEING FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the term you guys use to describe the anti-climactic DAY AFTER THE SHOW??? Whatever it is, I'm suffering from it big time!!!!

We got home to Dayton around 1:00 but I couldn't sleep til around 2:30 - then the alarm went off at 6:00... yawn......

For all you interested, I will get my notes (and my thoughts) together and try to give you a review of last night. Sooooo much to remember - sooo much to say --- such a phenomenal concert!!!!!

Nancy and Willie - I'm sure I saw you both (I looked for the blonde curls and the long red hair) and Nancy - you were in a white sweater, right? If you sat in your seat and stretched your right arm out to the right and pointed up about 30 degrees, that's where we were. I thought I saw you guys looking my way and I waved - but of course how would you know who I was!!!

Unfortunately, I have to work now - gotta get caffeine......

Also need to check the tour schedule and see where else I can go see the boys..... OMG.........I'm having serious withdrawal already......

Default Re: Cincinnati 11-18-08

Quote Originally Posted by chaleymom View Post
    What do I do when the party ends.. cuz they were JUST TOO BUSY BEING FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the term you guys use to describe the anti-climactic DAY AFTER THE SHOW??? Whatever it is, I'm suffering from it big time!!!!
    CM, you've got PEW!!!!!

Anxious to hear everyone's review!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Hi everyone!! We are getting up and around at the hotel. WOW what a night!!! I can't even start to explain how wonderful it was. Will do that later after the 5 or more hours home today. Will have to collect my thoughts. This was by far the best concert experience I have ever had and I have had a lot. It was worth every penny if for no other reason than to see the look on Katie's face when she saw where we were sitting and again when Timothy came out on stage and was right smack in front of her only feet away!!! Quite a few things to tell ya'll when we have more time. The guys were absolutely awesome!!!!

Wait to you hear about Nancy's seat, I will let her tell you that story!

Sorry CM about the PEW!! It's a horrible thing isn't it? I am going thru it in a BIG way this morning also.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Take it easy? Not the Eagles

By Bill Thompson •The Cincinnati Enquirer• November 19, 2008

The first surprise was the outfits that the Eagles wore when they took the stage: black suits and ties with white shirts.The second surprise is how vital the music sounds, more than 35 years after Don Henley and Glenn Frey teamed up to sing “Take It Easy.” The pair, plus longtime compadres Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit, led an enthusiastic audience through their hit parade at U.S. Bank Arena on Tuesday night, but also proved they have no intention of taking it easy during a tour that will take them around the world over the next year.
    The group played for nearly three hours with a short break (not bad for a foursome whose youngest member -- Frey -- turned 60 on Nov. 6). The 29-song set featured eight from “Long Road Out of Eden,” the first record of original songs since 1979. Although they might not match the incredible string of classics from 1972-79, the band -- backed by three keyboard players, four horns, a drummer and guitarist extraordinaire Steuart Smith -- attacked the material with energy and kept the fans engaged throughout.

It’s unlikely, however, that the arena would have been almost full if the boys had spent the evening playing all 20 songs from the new album. After opening with four new tunes, it was time for another surprise: “Hotel California,” the band’s signature song with Henley’s haunting lyrics and the dueling guitars of Walsh and Smith (replacing the departed Don Felder).

It was remarkably early in the show for such a high-profile tune, but when your repertoire is replete with chart-toppers, you can follow one with another like “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” For most of the crowd (beer vendors didn’t have to waste much time checking IDs), it must have seemed like they had a full head of hair and their jeans hung loosely on their hips again.

As if the group doesn’t have enough gold to mine, it has the luxury of solid songs from the solo careers of Henley and Walsh. The two mismatched characters -- Henley defines intensity while Walsh might be the goofiest guitar virtuoso in history -- wrapped up the first part of the night with “Boys of Summer” and “In the City,” respectively. After a fine reading of “The Long Run,” it was time for a break, and the opportunity to ponder what surprises might be in store after intermission.

One possibility that didn’t come to mind was that a mini-James Gang show would break out. But in retrospect, it wasn’t surprising. Although Henley and Frey are the core of the band, and Schmit still gets shrieks from the females when he steps to the microphone, the people’s choice is Walsh.

He gained fame with the James Gang while going to Kent State in the late 1960s, so when the band broke into “Walk Away” and “Funk 49,” it didn’t matter that the tunes had as much to do with the Eagles as Hannah Montana does.

Unlike young Ms. Cyrus, however, Walsh can make a guitar do tricks. After deferring to Smith in the show’s first half, he came to life with stinging solos on the Gang songs, plus a jump-up-and-down version of Henley’s “Dirty Laundry” that featured a wonderful video collage of every tabloid TV moron who has made a fortune by acting like a jackass.

But when all was sang and done, the name on the ticket was the Eagles. They finished with “Life in the Fast Lane” before an encore of “Take It Easy” and “Desperado.” The four principals took their time leaving the stage, graciously thanking the audience for their years of support.

The bond between band and fan was the least surprising moment of the night.
    SO much better than the Memphis review! Finally, a good review from a writer who "gets it."

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan View Post
    Take it easy? Not the Eagles

By Bill Thompson •The Cincinnati Enquirer• November 19, 2008

For most of the crowd (beer vendors didn’t have to waste much time checking IDs), it must have seemed like they had a full head of hair and their jeans hung loosely on their hips again.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

what an excellent review by the Cincinnati Enquirer!!!!! It was all that and soooo much more!!!

more at lunchtime.......

Actually, I think we all have seen pix of tight-fitting jeans, thank you very much. And there still is quite a bit of hair happenin' on their heads! Very nice review, though!!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I think, EV, the reviewer was talking about the audience there *G* Not the guys , we KNOW all about their jeans and hair *G*

Oh, yeah,I think you're right! Well, I still have all my hair, which is more than I can say for my hubby...

OK - here goes - as much as I can remember! I was going to take notes, but didn't want to miss anything and write at the same time! I took some pics but unfortunately my settings must not have been right on my camera so a lot of them are blurry.... if I can figure out how to get the best one on here, I'll do that. (any help out there for a downloading-photo-challeged aging Eagles fan???) I realized several times I was taking VIDEO instead of a photo - so, to my dismay, at the very end when they walked off the stage and waved at me (yeah, I'm sure they were waving at me.... ) as I went to take one more shot - my camera said "MEMORY CARD FULL" !!!!!!!!!!

First of all, can I just say - Why in the $*#&$! do people think it's ok to get drunk and totally annoy the people around them??? Why not spend your money and stay HOME and get drunk? The girls behind us were so rude - kept bumping into my husband (who was about to knock them out any second - he was very patient), she was profane, loud, and just overall obnoxious! She kept yelling "If they don't play Life in the Fast Lane" I'm going to be really *expletive* angry!!!!" I wish the boys would have played that FIRST - then maybe she would have taken her drunken butt home..... OK - sorry - had to get that off my chest.

What can I say? This was the 4th time I've seen them - (second time on this tour) and I can honestly say - they keep getting better. Every single minute of the show was phenomenal. I'm sure you all read the Cincinnati Enquirer review so I won't rehash all that.... A few of my favorite moments:

Glenn - oh man... that FACE!!!!! Still so incredibly handsome (sorry all the rest of you Glennworshipers.... ). I love watching his face when he sings. I wonder how much he sees through those little tiny slits in his eyes... most times his eyes are closed because he is so completely into the moment when he sings. He is so incredibly cool.... even when he popped off a guitar string mid-song. He just sort of grinned and kept right on strummin' and singin'.

Don - WOW! What an ovation he got during the introductions of the band. He practically walks on water.....what an incredible talent. He still hits all those notes with such precision and ease. LOVED Dirty Laundry - the crowd was NUTS!! And the montage of all the tabloid photos was really, really cool (and funny at some points!)

Timothy - The tender tenor..... loved hearing I Can't Tell You Why - one of my favorites. He didn't sing that when I saw them in L.A. last year - I think that was shortly after his surfboard incident?

Joe - What can ya say about Joe? EVERYBODY LOVES JOE!!! I think he has the most fun out of all of them.... and hopefully these days he REMEMBERS having a good time!!!! I've seen the helmet cam before - but it's still so fun to watch. Talk about crowd interraction!!! And I think someone mentioned before about him getting up on his toes when he sings. Too funny and too cute!!!!

I absolutely loved hearing Waiting in the Weeds - my new favorite. I'm sure there was lots of good video playing behind the boys, but most times I was just mesmerized watching and listening to them play. I really liked their performance of Somebody. And of course all the old favorites.... they never get old. (I couldn't help but wonder, how many times have they sung those songs??????)

A little side note on Glenn - Soda and TBFan - did you see him motion for the girl in the front row to sit down??? She was dancing and flirting her heart out but the older gentleman behind her couldn't see, so Glenn motioned for her (and then mouthed to her) 'sit down!!!' When she did (reluctantly) the man behind her gave Glenn the thumbs up! I thought that was great. (Wish I could have asked Glenn to throw out the girls behind us!!!)

I'm sure Nancy and Willie will have their reviews and there was soooo much to this concert than what little I've written. All of this and so much more of last night will remain in my memory (until my memory card says 'MEMORY FULL"!!!!)

Have a good day y'all!