Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Calendar Doc

Default Re: Calendar Doc

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Sounds like a great idea but I am so computer stupid I will probably never figure it out. Will there be very detailed instructions to help us computer challenged?
    I will personally help you in any way I can TBF. Even to the point of letting you link me to the pictures that you want for each calendar month. I can take those and insert them into the appropriate place within the Word Document so that you should be able to take them to Kinkos and tell them to print it off in calendar format and bind it for you!

But I think someone else is going to do something like that as a finished sample.

The biggest challenge is going to be locating pictures that are wider than they are tall. You can't use a picture that is taller than it is wide unless you are willing to either put two pictures together side by side or center one of them and have a lot of dead space on either side.

But that's why I thought you guys might like to do the pictures yourselves. If you did insist on a picture with the tall narrow characteristics, you could left justify it giving the page a 2-column format and then put song lyrics in the dead space (the right hand column)....or a track listing from an album...or a recipe for chocolate chip cookies! (tip, if you do the cookies, you'll have to send me some cause after all, it was MY idea!)

MikeA

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Im working on a prototype right now. Im using all the wallpapers I've made plus a few more so there will be one for each month and resizing them at 10.5"x8". I'll post all the images (or links to them) for anyone who might be interested. (im making four new ones as well!) Hopefully this will make it pretty easy but they will be, im afraid, a little biased to the Joe side *G*

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

Ticky, you can be biased on Joe anytime.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

OK! here are the resized calendar images. I didnt make small ones to post here so Ill just link them and ya'll can click and take a look.

January
    February (with nods to AZ as it's her bday paper)
    March
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September (this is a new one!)
    October (also new. The Wall Papers will be available on Dreamers Bday forum)
    November~ New
    December~New
    WHEW.. ok.. here ya go!! add this to the word docs and hit Kinkos!

The calendar wallpapers are great Rhonda. The Christmas one is very cute and the other ones are hot hot hot. Boy if I hang this up at work I will never get anything done...

Ooooh I got Joe on my Birthday! yeah!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I just kinda sorta knowed that that Ticky Person would be all over this thing

I went ahead and inserted the pics Rhonda pulled together and touched up the size just a tad to make them the same size as the calendar. Tough job as all I had to do was "drag" a corner of the picture to tweak it.

I pulled in one of the Chicago pics of the band for January of 2010.

The process of sticking the images in is pretty simple.

1. Load the 2009_Calendar.doc file.
    2. Go to View/Zoom and set the view at around 25% so you can see multiple pages, one on top of the other.
    3. Position your cursor at the top of a calendar page.
    4. Select Insert/Break/Page to insert a blank page
    5. Click on the picture from Borders here in Ticky's post and it will open in a new TAB or Window depending on your browser.
    6. Right Click on that picture and select "Copy Image"
    7. With your cursor on the new Blank Page, select Edit/Paste.
    8. BINGO!!!!!!!!! You have the inserted the image of your choice into the calendar.

You will probably want to resize just a bit. I think one of Timothy for example was a bit too large and the one you pick may also be too large or too small. To large is no problem but be careful not to start out with one that is too small. If you enlarge it, it might turn grainy.

Anyway, click on a corner of the image in your 2009_Calendar.doc and drag it until it shrinks or enlarges to become the same size as one of the calendar pages. We DO like Symmetry Don't We!

When you've inserted the images that turn you on, save the doc. You might be able to take that doc straight to the Copy Shop (i.e. Kinkos or Office Max or Office Depot or maybe even Walmart).

I would suggest that if you can get the folks where you take it to be printed and bound, that you "try" to get them to collate it as follows:

Front Cover: Laminate. Blank on back
    Page 1: Blank on front January image on back
    Page 2: January calendar on front, February IMAGE on back
    repeat this collation for the rest of the calendar.
    Back Cover: Laminate a blank page or even have them use a cardboard backing.

I would ask for heavier than normal paper. Maybe even card stock. I think I asked for 60lb card stock that is the thickness of a business card (20lb is normal paper and 24lb is considered "heavy"). But, you do what you wish. Just depends on how durable you want the calendar to be. The card stock and the lamination will add to the cost.

Or you could print it off yourself if your printer is of pretty good quality and you have enough INK and then just take it to the Printers and have them bind it.

Here is the finished sample. Well, it's almost finished. I did add a cover from the Chicago Pics. You might want to laminate the front cover and back cover but I wouldn't advise laminating all the pages. You might want to jot notes about your pet's VET appointment on it and that might be difficult to do if the calendar was laminated.

Oh, when I had this done, I think it cost around $5 to $10 at Office Max. Don't quote me though. That was 5 or 6 years ago. And that included the spiral binding and heavier stock (card stock I think).

The following is pretty large...3 megabytes because of the inserted pictures.

http://www.mvabercrombie.net/2009calendarsample.doc
    Last edited by MikeA; 11-24-2008 at 08:39 AM.

MikeA

Another couple of thoughts about refining your calendar...or refining the stock sample we've provided:

That front cover page is blank on the "back". And the January image is on the back of a blank page.

So you have two blank pages when you flip the cover.

You might consider going through the calendar months and pulling all of the Birthdays and Release dates and printing them on the back of the Cover Page so that when you flip open the cover, you'll be looking at the primary contents of the calendar without having to flip through all the pages to find the reference dates! Might be Handy.

On the front side of the January Image, which is blank, you might want to generate a "Year at a Glance" type calendar. Most flip type calendars have something like this as either the first page or they have them on the back of the back cover.

Use your imagination. Lots of good stuff you can come up with I'm sure!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Love the wallpapers Ticky but a little to much Joe for a calendar for me. So if I understand, I can actually replace some of those images with some of my own am I right? This is so cool and I really want to make one. I will try to set down and really study the instructions that Mike has given and try to get it figured out but I have a really bad feeling that I am not going to get it right and when I take it to Staples or Office Max etc, they are going to look at me like I'm insane.

Can I just pay someone here to do it and ship it to me? Who here needs to make a little extra $$$$?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

TBF

To replace an image in the existing 2009calendarsample.doc file, just

1. double click on the file you saved during the download. This will launch whatever editor (probably Microsoft Office or Word) and present the document to you.

2. in the VIEW tab click on ZOOM and select around 25% or 50% view and then click on maybe Web Layout or Print Layout to get the pages "stacked" and displayed one above the other.

3. Click on the image you wish to remove and it will show the little boxes at each corner of the image and one in the center of each side. Click DEL button on your keyboard or right click on your mouse and select CUT. This will get rid of the image you don't like but will not delete the page itself.

4. Click on the INSERT tab while your cursor is still on that page from which you just deleted the image.

5. Click on PICTURE and select "FROM FILE".

6. At this point, you can browse your disk drive and find another picture to insert on the blank page. I would suggest that you click on the view icon and change to "thumbnails" so you can get a visual of the picture you are looking for. In general, you want to find one that is wider than it is tall though you can certainly use one that is oriented the other way. But if you do, you will have some dead white space to the right and left of the image you selected. When you click on the picture you are looking for and then click on "INSERT" your choice will appear on the blank page.

7. Time to resize it now so that it fills the page without exceeding the page size. This is a very simple task that requires that you left click on any of the four corners that are visible in the photo on the page and drag them to make the entire image larger or smaller. Adjust it until it is the same size as the outline of the calendar page below it.

8. Note....use only the corners to drag the image to resize it. If you use the little squares in the center of the sides of the photograph, you will distort the image by changing the aspect ratios. You usually don't want to do that unless you are looking to create some "special effects" such as making the guys skinnier or fatter than they are!

Just repeat that entire process for any images you wish to replace.

MikeA