Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hiya Everybody!

Default Re: Hiya Everybody!

Wow. That's huge Ticky! I have spent at least an hour trying to digest it. I can stay with them on the guitars, but when they get into the amps, speaker cabs and effects pedals...well, they leave my comprehension in the dust!

But what it points out is that the sounds we associate with artists are FAR MORE than just their choices in guitars!

MikeA

Out on the Border

actually...the one thing i have learned the most since I've been interning at a professional recording studio....the sounds and tone come more from the player than from the amps, cabs, speakers, pedals, cables, AND guitars! If you put someone like Randy Rhoads on Joe Walsh's rig...he would still sound like Randy. It's the reason why Joe can use soo many different rig combos in his career...but he is always very distinctly heard as Joe Walsh! the tone is in the hands and fingers, people.
    Last edited by hickfromhell; 12-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Hickfromhell (Thomas, right?)

Maybe we are talking about two different things. I think we must be.

The sound produced by the amps and effects can't be done by talent alone. These guys do have to have the equipment capable of producing that sound they are after.

The Eagles for example. Certainly no one here is going to question the musical talent these guys have. But do you suppose they could get the same sound without equipment (effects and amps and guitars) between say "New Kid In Town" and "Rocky Mountain Way"? The "talk box" alone would render that impossible not to mention the distortion and induced effects in RMW.

That's all I was talking about.

You give me $1,000,000...oh heck, shoot the moon and give me $2,000,000!...and I can go out and buy the same equipment that Walsh has...or Buddy Guy or Jimmy Page and I'll guarantee you that while the playing field is level, I am NEVER going to be able to sound like them whether I have the same equipment they have or not (Damnit!) I have long since been forced to concede that you cannot buy talent.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I've been reading this and have also heard the same versions of the story-I really have nothing to add but this...

Jimmy Page is a GOD! !

I swear, I could watch that man play guitar forever!!!! In fact I have logged a lot of hours watching Song Remains the Same, Mothership and other videos!! The things he can do with a guitar!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Out on the Border

yes, my name is Thomas. i totally get what your saying...we are sort of talking about something different. the effects, such as the talk box, do lend to enhancing the sounds a player can prodce, but i promise if Stewert Smith was playing out of Joe's rig....he wouldnt sound like Joe! there is a huge tone difference even just in the area where a player picks the strings. for example, if a player picks closer to the bridge of the guitar it would have a more twangy sound...and if they picked closer to the neck of the guitar...it would end up sounding fatter and beefier. but our conclusion seems to be the same...you DEFINITELY cannot buy talent. just because you have all the right stuff...doesnt mean you can produce what they put out.