Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hiya Everybody!

Out on the Border

Default Re: Hiya Everybody!

This is completely random...and Im probably saying this to the wrong crowd....but did yall know that Joe Walsh gave Jimmy Page his '58 sunburst gibson les paul guitar? thats the guitar that Jimmy is most pictured with...with the exception of the double neck gibson. Jimmy didnt have money for a guitar like that....so Joe just gave it to him because he liked his music. If I had the ability...Ide probably give a couple guitars away too...I think thats pretty awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by hickfromhell View Post
    This is completely random...and Im probably saying this to the wrong crowd....but did yall know that Joe Walsh gave Jimmy Page his '58 sunburst gibson les paul guitar? thats the guitar that Jimmy is most pictured with...with the exception of the double neck gibson. Jimmy didnt have money for a guitar like that....so Joe just gave it to him because he liked his music. If I had the ability...Ide probably give a couple guitars away too...I think thats pretty awsome.
    Pretty close on the Walsh/Page deal. I saw a special (MTV? maybe) what followed Page around for a while and he has become a fanatic on collecting guitars now. He had been trying to run down some guitar that he'd sold when he was hard up for money and hadn't been having much luck finding it.

MikeA

Border Desperado

What the hell is going on with you guys Hick & MikeA, you guys are way to deep for a dumbarse like me, can we try and talk about The Simpsons, I understand that LOL

Gary

What a wonderful story. Love to hear stuff like that! I'm surprised Page was so down on his luck, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

haha Gary! I read that in a James Gang 2006 interview. I was trying to look for something that might make my amp sound more like Joe's with no luck...but I did find that bit of info. Turns out that Joe hasnt had a set guitar rig pretty much his whole career...he is always playing something different and new. I mean...the show I went to in Tulsa, OK on 11/11 this year...he was playing a Zakk Wylde signature Epiphone guitar! I never pinned him for a ZW fan....but thats cool with me...because I am as well!

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Mike, didnt we find a picture in another thread on another board of that exact guitar? Do you remember where it was? It was all of Page's gits and there was a short synopsis of what it was and how he got it. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Border Desperado

I have seen these guys in concert more times than I would own up to ( my marriage would fail ) last in the front row, so I saw for myself the guitar changes that these guys do between every song OMG, the guitar tech's are worth their weight in gold ( I do not play ) but you guys who do will understand this a whole lot better that me, also not sure if you have heard this, I read and article years ago about Clapton, his words were for him Walsh was the best guitar player around ( except him ) he is pretty cool, but give me Joe anyday, his on stage presence is out of this world, also Felder was great, but we cannot forget Mr S Smith, he has done a bloody good job, wether you agree with the whole Felder fall out and such, you cannot take away Smith's credentials on the strings, that is enough for now, all the best

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ticky View Post
    Mike, didnt we find a picture in another thread on another board of that exact guitar? Do you remember where it was? It was all of Page's gits and there was a short synopsis of what it was and how he got it. I'll look around and see if I can find it.
    We did Ticky....see that gitter of Page's. I remember you found it. Maybe on Page's website? Or Led Zep's. Really can't remember.

The story was that Page was looking everywhere for a 58 or 59 Les Paul...could have been a 57. Anyway, Joe had an extra one and either sold it to Page or gave it to Page...depends on whose version it is you are listening to. I'm not sure that we could depend on what either of them remembered from the 70's!

But whatever the details, the LP we're talking about came from Joe for sure and it was because it was a highly sought after model and they were very hard to find. Joe had two of them. Page had none. The situation was rectified.

MikeA

Out on the Border

That would be pretty cool to see.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Ok.. here it is, well its a different thread but same guitar and story.

This is Page with the Yard Bird's before the "traggic accident" You can read about it in the quote right above the pictures, (Click the pic to get to the main story)

After reading through that thread, there seems to be a lot of differing opinions there.. you'll have to check it out yourself and make what you can out of it *G* but there are some great pics!!