Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Who

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Who

Exactly---that is the point I was trying to make also!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

In case anyone missed it. I still think Roger looked like he was having trouble breathing or something. Very disappointing is what I'm hearing from people.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Io05fTLSg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqgtb3Nby4[/ame]
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

I thought they were so-so. I have to say I was surprised when they said The Who were going to do the Superbowl . Why not have a vintage American group if you want to go in that direction? I know they had the Rolling Stones once but I think the Stones are in a league of their own - there just is no one like the Rolling Stones so it worked.

Why Should it just be American bands playing the Super Bowl? The Who are a dynamic band. Halftime performances shouldn't be limited to American bands.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    It's Okay EL. But if you think they sounded good in the SuperBowl performance, you really need to go back and listen to those songs from the original recordings when Daltrey, Townshend, Moon and Entwhistle were at their peaks! They sparkled back then.

They are not like The Eagles who are performing and recording with the same polished accomplishment TODAY as the did back in 1970. Maybe if I didn't have The Eagles to compare their performance to, it would be different.

The Eagles are not the only ones who are Seniors and still rocking at the top of their games. Three Dog Night is still doing top quality stuff. So is Santana. So is Eric Clapton. Unfortunately, The Who Isn't and they were one of my favorite groups.
    Mike - this is exactly how I feel. The Super Bowl performance was very disappointing when you compare The Who to their former selves (which is what people are going to do). Honestly, I used to like them back in the 60/70's, but I haven't heard them play in a lot of years. So for people like me, their performance and vocals weren't any match for what they once were.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Why Should it just be American bands playing the Super Bowl? The Who are a dynamic band. Halftime performances shouldn't be limited to American bands.
    You are absolutely Correct EL. The winners of the Superbowl are crowned "World Champions" though I don't know of any non-American teams competing for the title. But then, I'm not really a football fan.

I have no objections at all to non-American performers at Superbowl Halftime. Certainly there are a lot of non-American athletes in the NFL/AFL (is there still an AFL?)

But I'd still like to see the Eagles do the halftime even though they are vintage American <smile>.

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'd have to agree with everyone that didn't think they sounded that great. I did enjoy getting to see them, but they were a bit off. I did think they sounded better as it went along.

I thought, maybe, that it was the venue.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I agree, Brooke, that they did sound somewhat stronger at the end. I thought 'Won't Get Fooled Again' sounded better than the others. 'Baba O'Riley' especially sounded BAD to my ears.

I wonder if it could have been partially due to the sound at the venue. If my memory serves me correctly, this was one of the concerns the Eagles expressed several years ago when they were contemplating an appearance.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well folks, on the potential of the venue itself being a part of the problem, I sort of discounted that. True, they would have better control of the final audio in a more suitable environment...even in a stadium if the stadium was set up specifically for a Rock Concert. But it wasn't.

Still, what I was disappointed was not the "final sound" but rather the vocal qualities, especially from Dautrey. They just were not in the groove vocally and that was not because of "the mix". It wasn't that they were flat or sharp with the vocals...it was the vocal quality when compared to how they sounded many Moons ago. I think that may be why many of the older groups sometimes hesitate to perform their songs from 30 or 40 years ago (Eagles exempt!) They just can't do it any more the way they did it in their youths.

Now, maybe the problem was that the "weather" impacted their vocal chords. Or maybe Dautrey was just having an off night. I HOPE SO.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    I don't care if non-American bands play either but the Superbowl is a uniquely American event and is seen as such all over the world. Bruce Springsteen and Aerosmith are two American bands who have rocked the Superbowl in recent years.