Page 113 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1480

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

Well, hard not to respect the guy for telling it like it is when it comes right down to it.

"Just close your eyes and take the money"

I also think it is very interesting what Rolling Stone had to say about the Eagles in reference to Fleetwood Mac replacing Buckingham.

"..... That same time, the Eagles were making enormous money with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey. It was likely enough to convince promoters that Fleetwood Mac minus Buckingham was still something that would generate a ton of money."

---------------------------------

Personally, I am sorry to see Buckingham go and seriously doubt he will ever rejoin the band no matter how big the reward. IMHO if there was ever a time to just go your own way this is it.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-11-2018 at 06:34 AM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

There's a petition out there now to get Lindsey back in FM with the person claiming he supports it, but I wonder. It's easy to say such a thing, and he must know a petition would be ineffective.

I'm posting on the main Fleetwood Mac fan board about this, and almost everyone is as outraged as I am that they are replacing Lindsey. I'm part of the chorus for once! Although once again, the Mac fandom reminds me what going off on band members really looks like, and how relatively tame we've been here despite what people have said.

It will be interesting to see if it affects ticket sales, though. It didn't matter with the Eagles. Will it matter with Fleewood Mac?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Although once again, the Mac fandom reminds me what going off on band members really looks like, and how relatively tame we've been here despite what people have said.
    You should have seen what it was like for GNR from 1996-2016

IMO if most of the classic . Rumors lineup is there people will still go. People on the boards tend to be diehards and not the major part of the market who are mostly "Casual"

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It will be interesting to see if it affects ticket sales, though. It didn't matter with the Eagles. Will it matter with Fleewood Mac?
    I think it will definitely affect ticket sales negatively - but I still think they will do reasonably well. I believe there is a lot more negativity against FM vs Eagles because they fired Lindsey. Not that it could have happened, but imagine if Don, Joe and Timothy had decided that they had enough of Glenn and that they would continue as the Eagles and fire him from the band, I'm pretty sure there would be a whole lot more animosity towards them than there is now. If Lindsey had died before the tour, I suspect that the fans would be much more receptive to a tour with replacements than they are now. Fans wanted a farewell tour with the Rumours lineup and the remaining members of FM willfully denied them of that.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Absolutely. He's not going to do iconic songs like Don't Dream It's Over & Weather With You any more so he can harmonise on Dreams? He'd have to sing lead, surely, and he doesn't really have the vocal chops for songs like Go Your Own Way & I'm So Afraid. It's the Gill situation again, except from where I sit, Neil Finn is a far more significant musician (I do realise that is probably not the case in the United States).
    At least Gill is a low-key, go along guy. Neil can be scathing about people whom he thinks are pompous or who put on airs. One of the lyrics in his song "Chocolate Cake" about Andrew Lloyd Webber is, "“May his trousers fall down as he bows to the queen and the crown.” Yeah, he's aged and probably mellowed, but I can just imagine his face as Stevie does her dramatic twirls and puts out the gold dust vibe.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I hate it that they fired him. I would not go see them without him, but that's just me.

I imagine they will still sell big though, like the Eagles (or whatever you want to call them) are doing. Most fans probably don't even know who he is.

I can't say I'm a big fan of Lindsey Buckingham (other than his looks ) by himself. But his time with FM was awesome and it a crying shame whatever happened.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I have no more love for FM certainly not going to pay to be played by promoters, artists and agents.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-11-2018 at 02:20 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I think it will definitely affect ticket sales negatively - but I still think they will do reasonably well. I believe there is a lot more negativity against FM vs Eagles because they fired Lindsey. Not that it could have happened, but imagine if Don, Joe and Timothy had decided that they had enough of Glenn and that they would continue as the Eagles and fire him from the band, I'm pretty sure there would be a whole lot more animosity towards them than there is now. If Lindsey had died before the tour, I suspect that the fans would be much more receptive to a tour with replacements than they are now. Fans wanted a farewell tour with the Rumours lineup and the remaining members of FM willfully denied them of that.
    I could say that the remaining members of the Eagles wilfully denied fans a chance to remember the Eagles as they were, couldn't I?

You are assuming a great deal about how other fans feel. You were OK with the 'Eagles' continuing so you assume FM fans would have been more OK if Lindsey had died. As I already said, I fail to understand how a death followed by a replacement is somehow more acceptable than a firing followed by a replacement.

Oh and by the way... our famous emoticon hasn't been used by anyone yet, so here it is:

Go your own way, indeed.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I could say that the remaining members of the Eagles wilfully denied fans a chance to remember the Eagles as they were, couldn't I?

You are assuming a great deal about how other fans feel. You were OK with the 'Eagles' continuing so you assume FM fans would have been more OK if Lindsey had died. As I already said, I fail to understand how a death followed by a replacement is somehow more acceptable than a firing followed by a replacement.
    I disagree with you that the Eagles denied fans a chance to remember the Eagles as they were - they had the HOTE tour which allowed their fans to see them as they were plus the bonus addition of Bernie Leadon. In the case of FM, they had stated that they would be having this tour in 2018 which their fans totally expected to include Lindsey Buckingham.

I will preface this by saying in no uncertain terms that I believe the death of Glenn Frey is certainly more devastating than any firing.

The reason I think it is more acceptable to tour after a death is that they couldn't possibly tour with the deceased member and they are simply moving forward with the best alternative. In the case of a firing, they totally controlled the member's absence, and any replacement is less than what they could have had and what most fans would prefer.

I don't think I am assuming too much to think that FM fans would be less upset with this new lineup touring at some point if LB had died versus them touring after his firing. I'm pretty sure they would be more distraught over his death than his firing but there wouldn't be the animosity that there is now towards the remaining FM members. I'm sure there would be some fans that would say that they should not tour at all if LB had died, but I think they would be fewer in number than those upset with what is happening now..

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I disagree with you that the Eagles denied fans a chance to remember the Eagles as they were - they had the HOTE tour which allowed their fans to see them as they were plus the bonus addition of Bernie Leadon. In the case of FM, they had stated that they would be having this tour in 2018 which their fans totally expected to include Lindsey Buckingham.

I will preface this by saying in no uncertain terms that I believe the death of Glenn Frey is certainly more devastating than any firing.

The reason I think it is more acceptable to tour after a death is that they couldn't possibly tour with the deceased member and they are simply moving forward with the best alternative. In the case of a firing, they totally controlled the member's absence, and any replacement is less than what they could have had and what most fans would prefer.

I don't think I am assuming too much to think that FM fans would be less upset with this new lineup touring at some point if LB had died versus them touring after his firing. I'm pretty sure they would be more distraught over his death than his firing but there wouldn't be the animosity that there is now towards the remaining FM members. I'm sure there would be some fans that would say that they should not tour at all if LB had died, but I think they would be fewer in number than those upset with what is happening now..
    What I meant by seeing the Eagles as they were was without them having been tarnished by the replacements.

And there is no 'best' alternative to Glenn Frey, and any replacement in this case is ALSO less than what they had and lost. It is insulting to suggest that it is preferable to the firing of somebody.

I am in such complete disagreement with you on everything else that I will leave it there.