Page 123 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1480

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

I know Lindsey treated Stevie completely inappropriately and was a jerk to her in his youth but as he’s aged, he’s definitely been the better of the two. I think Soda mentioned that clip where he gives some tips to Stevie about some tense issues in a song but she is rude and defiant against him, when he was just being helpful. He is an artist in the truest form, and I think he is still putting out excellent material (I love the album he did with Christine). I’m glad he can pursue the stuff he wants without any need to tour with the band but I’m sad I won’t get to see the band with him. I don’t personally think the dispute wasthat unsolvable. The most believable story in my mind is Lindsey wanted his next album and solo tour to work alongside the Mac tour, as Stevie had done hers. I totally believe Stevie would be upset about that because in that recent biography it seems she’s quite open about the fact she believed she was the most important, deserved better treatment, and could hold the band hostage to have her demands met. I think it’s partly her ego, her refusal to concede to Lindsey, and her desire to have a tour without tension. I can empathize with the last point but the first two I think are despicable and deserve criticism

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks Delilah. The Sirius channel is playing so many cool FM demos, I love hearing them, he is such a good singer. But, when it is time for the Mothership to go on tour, you have to jump on board and put other things to the side - everyone in the band has to. Of course, I don't know if timing issues related to his own solo projects are what led to his ouster, it may be something else entirely.

My only other thought on the matter is that perhaps Stevie has reached an age/stage of her life where she has a new perspective on her relationship with him over the past 43 years and is done "compromising". It is said that one of the (few) benefits to women as they age is that they become willing to say no, that won't work for me, when for their entire life they have always tried to please those around them, to their own detriment. Again, I have no idea if this is the case here, I'm looking at the situation from an outside perspective. But, it must have been a REALLY bad and intractable dispute for them to make the decision to go on without him.

Just seeing this video of him - the fact that he is alive and available and performing and wants to perform with FM...it's really unbelievable. Totally different situation from the Eagles and from Journey, and definitely the worst of all three. And, the tour doesn't even START until October, its so far away!! Maybe they'll work something out by then...
    Once again you say this is the 'worst' of all three situations.

We still have Lindsey Buckingham. He will presumably continue his own career. The 'Eagles' no longer have Glenn Frey, have tarnished & cheapened their reputation irreperably, & people like you are OK with that. I will never understand this. Never.

Claiming that firing a band member is worse than the founding member of the band DYING & the band carrying on, beggars belief.

And the claim that the Eagles situtation was unavoidable, whereas the Mac situation could have been avoided, is also not true. The Eagles did not have to continue. It's that simple.

Anyway, we've been through this already. I just take exception to this idea that a death is 'better' than a firing.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-12-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Well obviously I didn't make my point very well because I don't think that someone dying is better than someone being alive. Can we agree that both bands have chosen to go on without an important member?

Lindsey Buckingham speaks about his firing:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...6sx?li=BBnbfcL

(I think the video is the one Delilah linked earlier.)

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective," Buckingham continued. "The point is that they'd lost their perspective. What that did was to harm – and this is the only thing I'm really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity – it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."

Right on Lindsey.

The legacy has been harmed. And it is sad. But he's a realist and appears optimistic about the opportunities ahead that await him and his music.

Hope Lindsey comes my way ... I will go see him.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep, I again agree with FP. There is no scenario that I can wrap my head round where someone being fired is worse than someone dying. But, these circumstances are very different for sure. So, I think we can agree that the only similarity is that these two bands replaced an essential member in the twilights of their careers to continue touring rather than retire. Of course, what we also don't agree on is whether or not this is okay. Some think this is awesome, others think it's a travesty, and others are somewhere in between.

I don't think Journey's situation is comparable to the Eagles or Mac because they were a lot younger when Steve Perry initially left the band. He left of his own volition - not because he was fired. Additionally, most of Journey's hit song were written by Cain and Schon so I find replacing Perry to be more acceptable, although I still don't think I'd ever go see them.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-13-2018 at 02:07 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

In MaryC’s defense, I don’t think she meant that the pain and actual loss of someone dying is worse than being fired from a band but rather continuing without someone because you kicked them (and they were willing to tour) is worse than continuing because someone passed away. I’m not saying you have to agree with that logic but that’s what I took from her comment

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

It was a mistake to try to compare or contrast the situations of the three bands continuing on without an important member, each for a different reason. I think it's an interesting topic but on here it is interpreted to mean that I think it's a good thing that Glenn died.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    In MaryC’s defense, I don’t think she meant that the pain and actual loss of someone dying is worse than being fired from a band but rather continuing without someone because you kicked them (and they were willing to tour) is worse than continuing because someone passed away. I’m not saying you have to agree with that logic but that’s what I took from her comment

I know what she meant, and I absolutely fail to understand it or agree with it in any way. I can't even begin to understand why continuing after a firing is 'worse' than continuing after a death. So you had disagreements with someone & you no longer wish to work with them. So what? That happens all the time. Saying they should have worked things out & so on - well, they didn't. Fleetwood Mac has had an entire career built on such drama. So did the Eagles, for that matter. Also, as Soda has said, Mac without Buckingham is still Mac. As long as Fleetwood & John McVie are members, it's Fleetwood Mac.

Someone dying, no matter who it is, is a whole new ball game, and just carrying on as if nothing ever happened, as if nothing changed, is in my view the height of insensitivity, bad taste, whatever you wish to call it.

The 'Eagles' are no longer the Eagles without Glenn Frey.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I know what she meant, and I absolutely fail to understand it or agree with it in any way. I can't even begin to understand why continuing after a firing is 'worse' than continuing after a death. So you had disagreements with someone & you no longer wish to work with them. So what? That happens all the time. Saying they should have worked things out & so on - well, they didn't. Fleetwood Mac has had an entire career built on such drama. So did the Eagles, for that matter. Also, as Soda has said, Mac without Buckingham is still Mac. As long as Fleetwood & John McVie are members, it's Fleetwood Mac.

Someone dying, no matter who it is, is a whole new ball game, and just carrying on as if nothing ever happened, as if nothing changed, is in my view the height of insensitivity, bad taste, whatever you wish to call it.

The 'Eagles' are no longer the Eagles without Glenn Frey.
    I don’t agree with a lot of this but I don’t feel the need to argue about it