Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: What do you guys think of Fleetwood Mac?

I'm shocked that Don was the one to let that all out about the baby and the abortion! Wonder what got into him?

And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him.

~~~

The highway to freedom is when you start believin."

And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him.
    To be frank, I think that the Stevie fans who believe that just don't want to accept the fact that Stevie made the decision to abort because she felt it was in her best interest. They'd rather blame Don and make him the bad guy and Stevie the victim who was forced to abort because he left her.

Edited to add: I also want to say that there are alternative demo versions of Sara which belie the "bad Don" theory because they have additional lyrics like "And he reached out gently." Hardly condemning words.

~

Stuck on the Border

The above is interesting, but I have no comment as I don't know enough about the situation. I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.

In Edge Of Seventeen, the lines 'words of a poet and the voice of a choir and a melody...nothing else matters' make me think of the Eagles every time.

As for the line 'undoing laces' in Sara, I had never been able to hear that.

I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.
    Well, even the words of the best of men aren't always well-thought out.

(BTW, if you're not aware of what we're referring to, L&M's site has the 1991 GQ article. The relevant part is this: Henley’s prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who “I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion”-and then wrote the song of the same name “to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there’s a line in the song that says ‘And when you build your house, call me.’)

~

eaglesfans

I'm pretty sure Not Enough Love in the World is about Lois Chiles and/or Maren Jensen.

Heart of the Matter is about Maren Jensen

At the risk of sounding negative, I don't think any of Don's songs are explictly about Stevie, except possibly Life in the Fastlane.

</p>

Yeah, I never thought HOTM was about Stevie. As for the rest - I guess we'll never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

~

I came across a FM Rumours dvd the other day. Do you know if it's a good one Soda? I couldn't tell from the description if it was more a documentary or does it have some complete concert songs on it?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Is this the one you mean, Brooke?

Classic Albums - Fleetwood Mac: Rumours

If so, that's a documentary about the making of Rumours. It has interviews with all the band members as well as the producers. I find it fascinating, but if you're looking for a concert, it's not for you. However, you do get to hear the songs played as well (some only partially). The highlight of the video for me is Christine McVie playing Songbird on the piano in a concert hall, recreating the way she first did it when she recorded the song for the album. Another highlight is that you get to hear the initial recording of Silver Springs back in 1976 when it was just a B-side. If you want to hear the entirety of the initial Silver Springs, you can purchase the Rumours DVD-Audio. That's well worth the money for audiophile fans of Fleetwood Mac.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Yes, that's it. Thank you Soda. I'm sure I'd like it, but I'd also like a 70's concert video if there is one available. FM was one of my favorites back then, so it would be fun to see the oldies. Any recommendations?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    Yes, that's it. Thank you Soda. I'm sure I'd like it, but I'd also like a 70's concert video if there is one available. FM was one of my favorites back then, so it would be fun to see the oldies. Any recommendations?
    Sorry to take so long in replying, Brooke!

There are no commercially available 70s concerts, although I have some bootlegs which can be found on my Mac trade page here:
    http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/trade/index.html under "Fleetwood Mac" and then "DVD" - I just realized the date for the Japan show is wrong, it's 1977.

I also have some Rumours Japan behind the scenes footage taken by Mick Fleetwood - hours of it - that basically shows them wandering around backstage chit-chatting. I haven't listed it because it's fun for the hardcore but not too many other people. A highlight is Lindsey whining: "I don't WANNA do interviews and sign autographs! I'm HUNGRY!" Christine basically puts him in his place and tells him how lucky he is that his job only requires him to play music for a couple hours a few nights a week for a few months a year, and to occasionally do this kind of PR. (Of course she omits the making of the music itself they had done the year before, which I found interesting. But then again she had to work less fuflilling jobs before joining the Mac, whereas Lindsey has never held a job besides that of musician. Stevie often complained that when they were poor pre-Mac, she had to do the odd jobs to support them while Lindsey insisted that he had to spend all his time working on their music in order for them to make it. lol) You also have Stevie putting on makeup and talking about how she wants to look like Greta Garbo, drunken interviews by Stevie and Christine... but as I said, it's hours of them just hanging out, with only a few songs. Lindsey also is shirtless some of the time.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten