Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For My Wedding

Default Re: For My Wedding

It's cool Dreamer. That's what makes this board so great, we all have different opinions and we each bring something different to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    As I said, I know. many of you all love this song, and I appreciate that. Whenever I find myself in the minority opinion about a song, I always wonder "what am I missing" (or if I like the song "what in this song appeals to me that may not appeal to others")? Obviously, it all boils down to personal taste, but when this happens, it does sometimes make me think "what's wrong with me - I'm supposed to like this song". Well folks - all I can say is I tried, but it just ain't happening for me.
    Silly girl There's nothing wrong with you just because you don't like the song. There's a lot of people here who LOVE ILTWAWD and I have tried over and over again to fall in love with it......but as much as I love Glenn, it just won't happen. Its all a matter of personal taste!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think my only hope is to have a private viewing of Don performing it to see if I like it any better.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I didn't know if I should say anything about this or not. I didn't much like For My Wedding at first either. It has grown on me. I like the austerity and restraint of it. I think the sentiments are admirable but that's about where it ends. I like the way he sings it because I somehow prefer it when he 'holds back' to some extent. But it could never be a favourite of mine.

I can see why Henley fans will prefer this to ILTWAWD. Why did ILTWAWD reach out and grab me while this didn't? It's horrible to say that there is one reason. It should not be as basic as that. I prefer the waltz tempo of ILTW and I suppose I imagine more possibilities in its lyrics than I can in the lyrics of FMW. I hope that is 'objective' enough.

I will just comment here that when Inside Job first came out I did not like it at all, not one song, except perhaps Goodbye To A River. The more I hear it, however, the more it grows on me, though there are at least four songs (including this one) that I will never class as particularly good songs.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I remember when I first saw the video of FMW on CMT. I was just thrilled to see Don, period, and I thought he looked soooooo good and it was such a sweet sentiment.

For me, the song is ok, but not one of my faves.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I didn't like For My Wedding the first few times I listened to it but it's really grown on me to where it's now one of my favorite songs by Don.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?