Page 128 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1474

Thread: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Joe in the Press/Blogs/etc.

VetsAid will be in Houston this year. The date is November 10th this year. No artist have been announced yet.

https://www.vetsaid.org/

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I saw that on Twitter. That’s great news- I wonder which venue in Houston. Thanks, Shun.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Houston! I may be able to go to this!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the videos, shun.

As I've always said Joe is such a role model for those fighting addiction. I hope they hear his message.

I noticed Marjorie, Tim, and Vince were at the New Zealand event too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Nice Rolling Stone article about Joe, Ringo, and their work to help others get sober:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...16cJKIspJJZoI8

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Nice Rolling Stone article about Joe, Ringo, and their work to help others get sober:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...16cJKIspJJZoI8
    Thanks. Joe is such a great example. The award is well-deserved.

I'm a bit confused by this:

"His wife, the elegant Marjorie Bach, was also honored and she stood behind him, wiping tears from her eyes with a napkin even when he cracked jokes. Bach is 27 years sober. Earlier, she spoke with unflinching gravitas about fearing at one point her husband would die."

Surely that doesn't mean in the relatively recent years during their marriage? How long has she known him? I have a feeling the author might be confused, as the video she linked to did not contain that content, but was rather her speaking about her own experiences.

At any rate, the question about older rockers and prescription meds of course immediately brought to mind Tom Petty. Who would have thought we would lose him to a drug overdose of that kind? But then again, that's how we lost Michael Jackson and going back further, Elvis. So while I hadn't really thought about it, it really is an issue, isn't it. Going from getting high to just getting rid of pain, and then having issues continuing without it.

This bit is fascinating to me. I'd always thought it was interesting that Joe said that he got sober in 1995, because as we know HFO happened in 1994, which means that he must have relapsed after his first attempt.

Joe, can you tell me about the epiphany you had in New Zealand? You said that you’d had a bunch of relapses and nothing had been working until that moment in the hills.

Walsh: It was in Hawke’s Bay, the ancient capital of the Maori nation, the indigenous people there. I befriended them in New Zealand and they took me to the capital fortress that is abandoned and in ruins now, but it’s a very holy place. I stood on top of that hill. I looked at the ocean and I looked at all this farmland. New Zealand is beautiful. I had a moment of clarity, which was you can either die or you can stop.

How old were you roughly then that happened?

Walsh: About 45.

Have you had other spiritual experiences like that in your life?

Walsh: I have had moments before, like “I’ve gotta do something about this,” but by noon I was drunk again. This time, I believe it was God saying, “Hey, why don’t you try me?”

So you literally walked down the mountain, determined to go back to rehab, and that time it took.

Walsh: Yes. I went back to the United States. I made arrangements to go in. It terrified me. Terrified me.

Why?

Walsh: Because I didn’t know what sober was. I thought I was going to have to wear a tie and have a job and go to work every day, and that’s not the case. No, I can do what I always do really well. I just had to learn how. When you get sober, you learn how to do everything one day at a time, and when you get enough things that you know how to do sober, you’re good to go.

So that's when it happened for real. In 1994, Joe cleaned up enough for the tour with Smokey breathing down his neck to make sure he didn't relapse while he was on the clock, but he cleaned up for real then. I wonder if this was before or after Christchurch?

Thanks for linking to this!

When Joe said 45, that was before HFO. He was 46 when HFO happened. I wonder if Joe relapsed and got sober again in 1995. I’m confused a little.

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I remember reading that Joe had relapsed in the late 90's (I believe that's when it was) for a short time. I'm sorry I can't remember when I read it, but I'm pretty sure it was something one of our members posted here. I don't have time to do a search right now, but I'm positive it's on the board somewhere.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    When Joe said 45, that was before HFO. He was 46 when HFO happened. I wonder if Joe relapsed and got sober again in 1995. I’m confused a little.
    He was estimating his age so I wouldn't put too much store in that.

Joe and Vince will be part of Eric Clapton’s Crossroads Festival. The festival will be September 20th and 21st in Dallas. Both Joe and Vince have played at the festival before.

https://bestclassicbands.com/eric-cl...rNWjY7ApCJ3evE